OT- Whos uses Ubuntu linux???

The_Sh0t

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ive got a dual boot, ubuntu and win xp...

ive got the latest (edgy edge or something) ubuntu for amd64, it was a real pain in the ass to get the wireless WPA protected internet connection working on my laptop. And after that I went dual screen and it's not possible to set that up properly, so i mainly use windows nowadays. I also like to game every once in a while and thats not gonna happen with linux either. But other than that, ubuntu is pretty straightforward, i believe the graphical interfaces for WPA wireless and dual screen ATI cards are supported for the normal 32-bits version of it...

• Members

Ive got a dual boot, ubuntu and win xp...

ive got the latest (edgy edge or something) ubuntu for amd64, it was a real pain in the ass to get the wireless WPA protected internet connection working on my laptop. And after that I went dual screen and it's not possible to set that up properly, so i mainly use windows nowadays. I also like to game every once in a while and thats not gonna happen with linux either. But other than that, ubuntu is pretty straightforward, i believe the graphical interfaces for WPA wireless and dual screen ATI cards are supported for the normal 32-bits version of it...

Well, despite the fact that ATI cards are a bit more difficult than nVidia, dual screens isn't really that bad. For ATi, it's just a matter of going into xorg.conf and saying, Option "Xinerama" instead of Option "TwinView" for the most part. Dual monitors is harder to setup than a lot of other things, but not really limiting, certainly not beyond the scope of anyone who cares enough about computers to use two screens.

As for WPA, I've never tried it on the 64bit edition since my laptop is Pentium M but I imagine it's limited by the wireless device company not having 64bit drivers for Windows more than anything else. If they have 64bit drivers for Windows all you have to do is download that and use ndiswrapper, should take about 5-10mins to setup.

• Members
Nevermind, before bed i used the tip that was on Ubuntuguide.org for the HD, now it works. i can read all my stuff from my windows HD....over 200 gigs of {censored}
:)

That was my fault, I forgot to specify drive locations as /dev/hda0 or whatever the address is. I just assume knowledge of that from your use of Mandriva, oversight on my part I should have typed it out exact.

• Members

Well, despite the fact that ATI cards are a bit more difficult than nVidia, dual screens isn't really that bad. For ATi, it's just a matter of going into xorg.conf and saying, Option "Xinerama" instead of Option "TwinView" for the most part. Dual monitors is harder to setup than a lot of other things, but not really limiting, certainly not beyond the scope of anyone who cares enough about computers to use two screens.

I'll look into that...

As for WPA, I've never tried it on the 64bit edition since my laptop is Pentium M but I imagine it's limited by the wireless device company not having 64bit drivers for Windows more than anything else. If they have 64bit drivers for Windows all you have to do is download that and use ndiswrapper, should take about 5-10mins to setup.

I started out by trying to use wpa_supplicant but that wasn't working then I nailed it by manually editing /etc/interfaces.conf which was a pain in the ass and I still need to perform some actions for internet to work after the computer has booted, but it works!!

• Members

oh NP, accualy nicer this way, it makes me HAVE to try and figure it out, so in the end i learn more :)

im likeing it sofar, i got a nice new brushed metal scheme loaded, now to find a OSX type dock....ive always wanted the OSX dock but never can fand onethat works....

• Members

I have Ubuntu loaded up on a fairly recent machine (within the 6 months or so) that my daughter uses, and I've never had to even touch it after the install. Mostly heavy GAIM use, but also the other apps included. It loaded up and got the 802.11g card running with no problems, and this is something I'd tried to do before with ndiswrapper under Debian with no success. Highly recommended for general use.

I also have Ubuntu server running on an old piece of junk Compaq Presario with 256 MB of mismatched RAM, and it's been solid. It's running the website for the link in my sig, plus some other apps for our fundraising organization. Dead Simple LAMP installation was great.

• Members

how did you add all that eyecandy stuff? like the flutering pages and stuff??? i want mine liek that...

It's not that hard, but I suggest getting more acquainted with Ubuntu before bothering with it. It CAN {censored} things up, and your lack of proper detection for your video card makes me hesitant to suggest it to you because Beryl/Compiz can cause X to break and you may have to do some manual fixing from the CLI. There is a lot of talk of making Beryl and/or Compiz default for Feisty Fawn, the Ubuntu release coming out in April. In the least, you'll probably seem them in the repositories. You may want to wait until then.

• Members

If you want real eyecandy, DL and run Mandriva One 2007. It'll make you wonder what all the fuss was about with Vista and aerographics. It runs as a live, installable CD - I have to say, I was quite knocked out by its appearance, and they've included proper drivers for things too.

BTW if you have problems with slow browsers like I did, switch IVP6 to IVP4. IVP 6 uses IP addresses consisting of 6 sets of 3 numbers, while IVP4 uses 4 sets (like 192.168.068.112). Some ISPs don't handle IVP6 properly, and that causes a VERY slow web connection.

• Members

Aside from the 3D cube thing, those bulging windows and whatnot are available for WinXP as well. Don't remember what the software was called though. Tried it and got tired of them in about 5 minutes, then they just got in the way. I'm downloading Mandrive One 2007 now and will give that a whirl, if it bothers to boot with my graphics card that is.

• Members
I use unbuntu
:)
no windows to be found on my machine. still trying to make my line6 toneprt work!!... i gotta make a sacrifice to have an OS i like.

I was attempting to get some line6 software to work with Wine to no avail.. I wanted to use line6 monkey and line6 edit. :freak:

• Members

If you want real eyecandy, DL and run Mandriva One 2007. It'll make you wonder what all the fuss was about with Vista and aerographics. It runs as a live, installable CD - I have to say, I was quite knocked out by its appearance, and they've included proper drivers for things too.

Ok. I did a LiveCD of Mandriva One 2007 and again ran into the same problem as I did with Ubuntu - X didn't want to start. However, with Mandriva I got to the terminal so I could just edit xorg.conf to use the right driver. For someone who hasn't used Linux before editing the config file would propably have been too much of a task so they really need some proper fail safe options instead of just a "type 100 command line switches here..no we won't tell you what they are."

The next problem I ran into was that Mandriva doesn't seem to work with my soundcard whereas Ubuntu did. I also managed to crash a few programs because I clicked on the X in the corner instead of the quit button (what a lame problem!). Font smoothing doesn't seem to work in Firefox at all so overall I'd say that this package is nowhere near as polished and user friendly as Ubuntu.

But then again I only got it because I wanted to give Compiz a whirl and boy it's fun. It just works great and I'd love to see this in Ubuntu as standard. I'm not too impressed by the wobbly windows and fading though, I find them distracting.

Archived