2x12 Cab Advice

Lt_Core

• Members

I'm looking into an Avatar 212 closed-back cab with V30's (http://www.avatarspeakers.com/g212h%20special.htm) to use with my Mesa F-50 combo.

Seems like a great bang for the buck ($288 + shipping). Are there other cabs I should be looking at? The Avatar Vintage cab is $100 with angled speakers and a different style cab. Not sure if it warrants the extra cash.

I play in a rock cover band so I'm guessing V30's would be the way to go. The Mesa Widebody extension cab is only a 1x12 and costs more than $300 but the F-50 would fit perfectly on top of it. Thoughts and opinions? Thanks!

• Members
there's no good reason, really, to NOT get an Avatar cab, unless you've got a line on something better.

Well, to make a long story short, there was a Mesa 212 Recto cab with V30's on consignment at a local guitar shop for $400, had the store down to $350. They called the guy up and said he's raising the price to $500. Bastard! Store couldn't do anything about it. Really pissed me off. Oh, well.... Avatar will be lighter on my back :)

• Members

I looked at those myself,no vendor for Uk so i looked elsewhere.

Matamp sprang to mind and i found they had almost exactly what i am after,though in my case i think i will opt for 1x12 angled right away and compliment it with another some time later.

They are a lot more uninexpensive which is a bit of a stumbling block but it seems i may be able to omit the Emblem and go with British Emerald tolex and a Celestion Blue.

With any luck they will get back to me with details.

• Members

Avatar's are great Cab's they are made by the same people that make the cabs for Star amp and a lot of the other high end cab's and lot are on back order. Avatar they keep a big stock so,you can just call buy the cab loaded with the best speakers of choice and they will even leave the name off so you can drop one of your own on if you want!

• Members

i have the closeback wheat grill 2x12 with 2 greenbacks... sounds awesome i want to compliment it with a closeback wheat grill 2x12 with v30s, best of both worlds

What are the real-world differences between Greenbacks and V30's?

• Members

What are the real-world differences between Greenbacks and V30's?

The V30s have an accentuated midrange, which can make them seem a *little* darker (though that's not the best word for it) and/or sometimes a bit harsher, depending on the amp & settings ... BUT, that also helps the V30s cut through a mix beautifully. The greenies have a more "vintage" sound, the midrange isn't quite as dominant (though I personally don't find it lacking), and they break up easier and sooner, so to me they can sound a bit "crunchier" with overdrive. Greenies have a sweetness to them that's hard to describe -- it's a lovely high end thing going on, but it's not piercing or harsh in any way.

I'm obviously a bit biased; V30s were my favorite speaker until I got my Greenback cab, but now it's Greenies all the way for me.

But I don't know if that's what you mean by "real-world" differences.... V30s are 60 watt speakers, and Greenbacks are 25 watt ... maybe that helps?

• Members

Dont mean to go off topic but I just now picked up a Geezer Sound 2x12 and its killer. Only paid $160 (used) and it has 2 Vintage 30's. A little shorter at only 27" wide but the 14" depth really helps the low end.

Check em out if you see one used, best 2x12 Ive heard yet. Havent h4eard the Avatar Vintage 2x12 yet though, bet it kicks ass too.

• Members

Jeff, I've been really happy with my Avatar special 2x12 closed back with V30s. It has held up to all my amps and adds a lot of girth to my F-100 combo. It also only weighs 47 lbs, so it's easy to move and doesn't require casters. So, you really can't go wrong with either.

I would, if given the chance, probably opt for the Vintage 2x12 closed-back with a Hellatone 60L and a Classic Lead 80, partially because of the cosmetics, but also because Mojo (who builds the cabs) has outstanding build quality. Finally, the cab is full-sized meaning that a 30" head will fit it exactly.

BTW, I'm thinking about doing something like this for my VHT:

hal9000_VHT50CL_Avatar_rig.jpg

• Members

Hi Neil,

Can you give me a comparison between a cab with V30's versus a cab with a Hellatone 60 & a Classic Lead 80? Think rock cover band :) Modern stuff down through the 70's, mostly focusing on 90's through 2007. You know my rig.

• Members
Hi Neil,

Can you give me a comparison between a cab with V30's versus a cab with a Hellatone 60 & a Classic Lead 80? Think rock cover band
:)
Modern stuff down through the 70's, mostly focusing on 90's through 2007. You know my rig.

Sure. An all V30s cab will have good bass and cut through very well, but may seem harsh to some because of the mid-spike. Compared to V30s, the H60 and CL80 combo will have more bass (but still tight), smoother highs and less of a mid-spike. The power handling and sensitivity will be the same between the two cabs.

• Members
Would you mic both speakers then, since they're different?

As far as reinforcement, I would probably just mike the V30/H60 since most sound guys have an SM-57 lying around and probably can't be bothered to run two mics. IME, the SM-57+V30 combo is hard to beat, especially for cutting through a live mix and keeping the guitar frequencies easy to work with.

Of course, when you're recording, it would be sweet to have a dual mic/dual speaker setup per take, just make sure you know which speaker is which. :)

Archived