What are you looking forward to seeing at the next NAMM show? (Hopefully)

MuzikB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How about a 61?
:)

ultranova61.png

That's even better. While they're at it, they can fill up that extra real estate with more dedicated knobs. I'll pay.

I've come to realize that I'm different from a lot of people who apparently buy synths. I can sort of understand why there's such a glut of little synths in the market. They tend to have limited features, but they're powerful enough for most tasks and generally sound nice. Besides, the economy is still tanking and people seem to be into smaller everything.

But give me three times the synth and I WILL PAY three times the price. I'd sooner buy a full-featured flagship synth over something like the GAIA or MicroKorg, and as I said, I don't mind paying for what I get. I don't expect them to deliver the moon for pocket change.

It's true that the best VAs right now are to be found in software, but I still have more fun and get more done with synths like the Q, Radias, EX-5, JD800/990, V-Synth, and the A6 than anything on my computer.

So, to Roland, Korg, and Yamaha I say: Give me a flagship synth. Give it a decent display (as opposed to, in some cases, none at all), high polyphony, more than 37 keys, ample dedicated knobs and sliders, 3 osc/voice, keys that aren't cheap and spongy, patch variation buttons, an extra mod wheel, and a small ribbon controller. And no, I'm not talking about anything Hyper-Natural-Super-Real ™ like the JP80 or Kronos. I want a flagship VA with knobs and architectural complexity. And I'll pay.

• Members

Ah, was not aware. That sucks, but the MP-201 is a pretty nice tool...all in all. Did people want it to be a goddamned sequencer or something?

It seems like Moog fans do expect a lot. I cannot remember what else it was they wanted, but there is some conversation about this topic on the Moog MP-201 forum. I also think Moog had a hard time showing what the MP-201 could really do to justify the price.

• Members

Successor of Korg M50 workstation in much better build quality, based on complete Kronos PCM waveforms and 128 polyphony.

Successor of Yamaha AN1X, like four times better in specs.

Roland reintroducing quality masterkeyboards.

Kawai getting back to the market with K6000 knobby workstation.

FTW!!

Although I'd settle for an improved Kronos (v2.0?) with a larger (i.e. Oasys-sized) Touchscreen that tilts and a bit better build quality - especially on the faders. Again a step towards the Oasys and I'd easily spend the extra bucks. These are the reasons I didn't pull the trigger on the Kronos. Hopefully they will get it right the second time.

• Members

FTW!!

Although I'd settle for an improved Kronos (v2.0?) with a larger (i.e. Oasys-sized) Touchscreen
that tilts
and a bit better build quality - especially on the faders. Again a step towards the Oasys and I'd easily spend the extra bucks. These are the reasons I didn't pull the trigger on the Kronos. Hopefully they will get it right the second time.

These are exactly the reasons I didn't get a Kronos as well.

• Members

With the recent scary predictions of the end of the world, countdowns are actually a fantastic marketing idea.

1 year 1 month 3.4 weeks 12 hours and 59 seconds..

World ends in 1 year 2 months 1 week 23 hours and 2 seconds

Will you be one of the lucky ones?

Casio >! order yours before it's TOO late!!

DO it NOW!!!!

• Members

I like watching the progression of the infamous monotron/tribe saga; oh imagine a keyboard version. Anything from Roland is always good for gossip. Moog needs a new controller pedal, seriously.... I do hope we get a rackmount for it has been a while.

Yea, me too. Waiting for a PolyTron or something. Also, a USB port on the monotron would be much appreciated.

• Members

Yea, me too. Waiting for a PolyTron or something. Also, a USB port on the monotron would be much appreciated.

I wonder if Korg is planning a replacement or update for the Monotron. I see that they are offering $20USD rebate on them now. A real steal at $40USD street.

• Members

I wonder if Korg is planning a replacement or update for the Monotron. I see that they are offering $20USD rebate on them now. A real steal at $40USD street.

Well, sort of. But you have to ask yourself -- at any price -- what you'd even use it for. At least that's the question I keep coming back to. A *real analog* synth with no keys, and no way to hook it it up something with keys. What's not to like? And then they follow it up with ... you guessed it ... ANOTHER *real analog* synth with no keys and no way to hook it up to something with keys.

And why?

Well, the only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to have to make and sell too many.

The good news is, they apparently achieved their aim.

• Members

Well, sort of. But you have to ask yourself -- at any price -- what you'd even use it for. At least that's the question I keep coming back to. A *real analog* synth with no keys, and no way to hook it it up something with keys. What's not to like? And then they follow it up with ... you guessed it ... ANOTHER *real analog* synth with no keys and no way to hook it up to something with keys.

And why?

Well, the only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to have to make and sell too many.

The good news is, they apparently achieved their aim.

I don't get the problem. Look at it this way- For $40 (or $60), you get a great analog filter. You can patch this into anything and be done. Or you can use the product as intended, and maybe even use it on one or two songs a gig. It is not intended to replace a minimoog.

There is one real design problem with analog synths- getting the oscillators to track keyboard voltage. All of the other elements in an analog synth- VCAs, EGs, filters, LFOs, etc are fairly easy and cheap to make. The real problem is that you have to have circuitry that converts the midi keyboard signal to a very precise voltage (typically 1V/oct). You need another circuit at the front end of the VCO to convert this voltage to the voltage that will correspond to the proper pitch (linear to exponential converter). Finally, you need the VCO.

All three of these components have to be very precise, otherwise the thing won't play in tune. They do not have to worry about this precision when they design VCAs or VCFs- the ear is much less sensitive to variations in amplitude or timbre. But the pitch must be perfectly in tune.

All this voltage precision is unneccesary in digital keyboards. This makes them a lot cheaper.

Sorry for the lecture.

Archived