why do people hate christian rock so much?

XChristXRockerX

• Members

because music shouldn't preach religion. church is for that. im religious, and would not like metal to include religious material.

Actually I don't agree with that. IMO music (like pretty much any art form) is a great tool for expressing anything anybody wants to express. Some of the best gigs I've been to were of the old Christian metal/punk bands the Crucified, Believer, and Living Sacrifice around the early '90s. Of course they couldn't be further away than something like Norma Jean, though. :D

IMO, everyone has a right to their views, though I may not like certain types of music and messages. I personally think the majority of death metal lyrics are at least as lame as that crowd thinks christian lyrics are (which are also sometimes pretty cheesy/lame, IMO), but I can still respect and a lot of times enjoy the music as being a great vehicle for conveying what it does.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always been advert to christian music because I find it to be very one dimensional. It always about god and religion and nothing else. It's not music that can be enjoyed by everyone, only by christians.

I've got nothing against having a positive message in music, I just don't like being preached to about Jesus in music.

But hey, everyone has a right to express their religion any way they seem fit. Just don't expect everyone to like it.

• Members

i was at a worship concert and this guy (i think he was drunk
:confused:
:confused: ) kept yelling obscene things that i w ould rather not repete. the security guard threw him out! my question is why do people have so much against us christians just trying to play some good music?

Rectal cancer is too good for you.

• Members

Because christian rock is corny. I don't mind a christian band if they have positive lyrics, but it's when they start talking about jesus and god that I become irritated, and I'm even a christian. My mom is always like oh you should be in a christian band, and honestly I would rather slit my wrists and become some emo bitch before that.

I agree that I've heard a lot of corny christian rock -- then again I also see people bitching on these forums every day about the majority of current regular music out there, too. ;)

• Members

I usually keep my head out of these things, but why the hell do people who quote bible verses feel compelled to quote the King James version? As though it's any closer to the original Latin text because it's in old English. As though Latin is close to Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc...

It might be the only version he has available, though I'm pretty sure he's just trolling, anyway. :thu:

• Members

I like Christian rock and christian music in general. Don't care much for "christian" trolls.

Of course my guitar heroes are secular. I just listen to people who can "play". Paul Gilbert, Satriani, Vai, MAB, and alot of progressive rock. Im just mature enough in my faith that music is not a god to me like it once was.

Disciple is my favorite christian band. They are a "preachy" band with a modern sound. They introduced me to Scott Splawn amps.

Whether you like it or not, christian music has it's place in society. Like the message itself, you aren't going to get rid of it any time soon.

To each his own.

• Members

I like Christian rock and christian music in general. Don't care much for "christian" trolls.

Of course my guitar heroes are secular. I just listen to people who can "play". Paul Gilbert, Satriani, Vai, MAB, and alot of progressive rock. Im just mature enough in my faith that music is not a god to me like it once was.

Disciple is my favorite christian band. They are a "preachy" band with a modern sound. They introduced me to Scott Splawn amps.

Whether you like it or not, christian music has it's place in society. Like the message itself, you aren't going to get rid of it any time soon.

To each his own.

Good points, IMO.

• Members

I've always been advert to christian music because I find it to be very one dimensional. It always about god and religion and nothing else. It's not music that can be enjoyed by everyone, only by christians.

Well, that's why it's called christian music. why does satanic music always have to be about satanism?

Music is a tool, not a master.

• Members

Actually I don't agree with that. IMO music (like pretty much any art form) is a great tool for expressing anything anybody wants to express. Some of the best gigs I've been to were of the old Christian metal/punk bands the Crucified, Believer, and Living Sacrifice around the early '90s. Of course they couldn't be further away than something like Norma Jean, though.
:D

IMO, everyone has a right to their views, though I may not like certain types of music and messages. I personally think the majority of death metal lyrics are at least as lame as that crowd thinks christian lyrics are (which are also sometimes pretty cheesy/lame, IMO), but I can still respect and a lot of times enjoy the music as being a great vehicle for conveying what it does.

death metal lyrics that are cheesy arent meant to be taken serious. those that are serious and very good are from the likes of soilwork, in flames, etc.

• Members

Actually I don't agree with that. IMO music (like pretty much any art form) is a great tool for expressing anything anybody wants to express. Some of the best gigs I've been to were of the old Christian metal/punk bands the Crucified, Believer, and Living Sacrifice around the early '90s. Of course they couldn't be further away than something like Norma Jean, though.
:D

Right on!

I go to cornerstone festival every year the past few years and see the same thing over and over. Screamo, Emo and hardcore bands that are so caught up in "image" you really don't know what they are about. "we are doing it all for Jesus" Well, are you reading his word, being obedient to it? If you are a "christian" band and arent focusing on knowing the Lord and being obedient to his word, by the grace that is at work in your heart, then you should re-examine your "mission"

Rushtallica, check out a band called Gretchen. their album In the Meantime has some cool catchy and pretty heavy guitar riffs in it and the message is great as well. I spent much time at CS talking to Dave the guitar player. Very cool guy. They were the encore at the Sanctuary tent. Spent some time talking to the crowd about different issues.

As a bible beleiver, i can only judge those things inside the church and i feel that alot of what's going on in the christian music industry is missing the mark. The rest of the world is not for me to judge.

• Members

because all you do is latch onto existing trends and christify and whitewash them. the only real purpose of christian music is to allow christians to listen to "jesus approved" versions of music that was previously too racy for them.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say:

• Members
because all you do is latch onto existing trends and christify and whitewash them. the only real purpose of christian music is to allow christians to listen to "jesus approved" versions of music that was previously too racy for them.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say:

exactly

well-said:thu:

Archived