Tesla appreciation thread.

Cosmic_Osmo

• Members

I've been listening to "Mechanical Resonance" and "The Grand Radio Controversy" on my iPod for the last couple of days. I know these guys are the epitome of cheesy 80's metal but I think they're badass songwriters and players. Anyone else agree?

As a side note: it sucks being addicted to 70's and 80's rock when you're only 20 -- can't relate with ANYONE my age.

• Members

Tesla is one of my favorite bands. I think What You Give is a great example of their songwriting. They are very talented musicians. And yes I can relate. I am 2 months away from turing 20 and all my favorite bands are from the 70s and 80s. In fact, Im seeing Blue Oyster Cult and REO Speedwagon one week from today.

• Members

Oh,I thought that this was about the band's namesake,Nickoli Tesla...possibly the most brilliant mind of the last 200 years.The guy was screwed over by everyone from Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse to J.P. Morgan.The main reason why his story is rarely told is that way too many of those entrenced in the massive wealth and power structure could [and probably would] be seen in a not so flattering light.Good friend Samuel Clemens [Mark Twain] often talked and wrote about the genious of Mr. Tesla,who supposedly died at the age of 94 a virgin.Tesla once stated that women were only a distraction from his life's work.

Ed

• Members

I never actually thought of them as cheesy. I still dig em.

I agree, compared to their contemporaries, there was nothing Cheesy about them....Probably my favorite all around band from the era and definitely one of my top 5 favorite all time....

Frank Hannon is also and amazing player, very underrated....

• Members

they were a great band that never really went anywhere...

I disagree with both of these statements. Sure, they had some serious mullets, but who didn't back then? They pretty much avoided the whole mascara, lipstick and Spandex thing, and were basically a T-shirt-and-jeans rock band, which I always appreciated about them. And Jeff Keith has one of the all-time great rock'n'roll voices.

Never really went anywhere? They sold millions of albums and had tons of radio hits.

• Members

I know these guys are the epitome of cheesy 80's metal but I think they're badass songwriters and players. Anyone else agree?

Actually, compared to most of the stuff out and popular at that time these guys were far from cheesy. They're just a staight ahead hard rock band, no frills, that wrote some really killer songs. Hannon and Skeoch always had some great tones and were a great two guitar attack.

• Members
We do "Modern Day Cowboy" in one of my bands.
:thu:

My cover band plays that song...people still love Tesla in NorCal. It always gets people off their asses and on the dance floor. Though I don't consider it a "dance" song, you'd be amazed at what drunk people can dance to!

:D

PS: And no, I don't consider them cheesy at all.

Archived