Does anyone make neck-through guitars with mahogany necks?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

this jackson has a mah body, but you're not going to find too many mah-necks.

of course, there's always the custom shop...

Ah, yeah I know about that one. It's got a maple neck with mahogany wings. I think the mahogany wings probably don't change the tone very much... Maybe just SLIGHTLY darker than the ones with alder ones... the main part of the guitar is still the maple area

• Members

see, guys. this is my thinking. I like the construction of neck-throughs, but most use maple and that makes for really bright sounding guitars... which I'm not a fan of for heavy music or really guitars with humbuckers in general.... (bright guitars w/ single coils = good, see tele in sig :))

I think a mahogany neck through would be pretty cool... and maybe if the tone was slightly too dark you could use mahogany with maple tops for the wings, or maybe just use alder or basswood or something for the wings? could also use an ebony fretboard to help brighten things up a little, but still keep that deep mahogany chunk... :D

• Members

I think harder woods are probably used due to their stability. There are plenty of set-neck mahogany guitars, so the real question is, do set neck mahogany guitars sound much warmer to you in the way that you'd like? You owned a vintage LP with the straight mahogany body and such so, did taking the maple cap off of a guitar make it warmer in the way you like?

I just don't know that the neck being neck-through and mahogany will make a HUGE difference in the warmth of the guitar. In my experience, finger board actually had more of a tone effect, but I may be the only one who thinks that way (and the guitars I'm comparing are different body woods-- swamp ash vs. poplar).

• Members

I think harder woods are probably used due to their stability. There are plenty of set-neck mahogany guitars, so the real question is, do set neck mahogany guitars sound much warmer to you in the way that you'd like? You owned a vintage LP with the straight mahogany body and such so, did taking the maple cap off of a guitar make it warmer in the way you like?

I just don't know that the neck being neck-through and mahogany will make a HUGE difference in the warmth of the guitar. In my experience, finger board actually had more of a tone effect, but I may be the only one who thinks that way (and the guitars I'm comparing are different body woods-- swamp ash vs. poplar).

ah, the set-necks are plenty warm sounding. that LP was very warm and deep sounding, but the playability is what blows on it. don't like that big ass heel where it joins the body. makes the upper fret access {censored}ty :(

Archived