Marshall says to switch off the Standby first?

Burstbucker

• Members

I've always heard that when switching off a tube amp, you should simply just turn off the Mains Switch and leave the Standby Switch in play mode to allow filter caps to discharge. I believe this is what I read in Gerald Weber's 'A Desktop Reference To Hip Tube Amps' book too.

I just made a deal to buy a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 head, so I downloaded the User's Handbook and when I came across the instructions for the Stanby Switch, this is what was said:

"On switching off, the Standby should always be switched before the Power Switch."

What do you make of that? Maybe it really doesn't matter a whole lot when it comes to powering down?

• Members

i power down by switching off the standby first, i leave it for a few seconds......then switch off.

everyone on this board will agree with the weber method, BUT i have blown a fuse in the past from just hitting the power switch, plus i always hate the pop noise from just switching off.

• Members

i power down by switching off the standby first, i leave it for a few seconds......then switch off.

everyone on this board will agree with the weber method, BUT i have blown a fuse in the past from just hitting the power switch, plus i always hate the pop noise from just switching off.

Yep same for me

• Members

I've always heard that when switching off a tube amp, you should simply just turn off the Mains Switch and leave the Standby Switch in play mode to allow filter caps to discharge. I believe this is what I read in Gerald Weber's 'A Desktop Reference To Hip Tube Amps' book too.

I just made a deal to buy a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 head, so I downloaded the User's Handbook and when I came across the instructions for the Stanby Switch, this is what was said:

"On switching off, the Standby should always be switched before the Power Switch."

What do you make of that? Maybe it really doesn't matter a whole lot when it comes to powering down?

the only time you wanna follow gerald weber's method is when you are going to be working on the amp. discharging the caps is useful when you have to be in the amp working on it but on a day to day basis you wanna use the standby to let the tubes warm up and cool down properly.

• Members

The standby switch is there to warm up the tubes before applying B+ to the plates.

This does not apply when turning the amp off, though two reasons I can think of why it might be suggested to put it in standby first are 1. to avoid the pops and 2. so you don't forget to switch it to standby before turning it on next time.

Using standby to "cool" the tubes before turning off is kind of silly if you think about it.

• Members

I think you may be misreading Weber. To turn on: turn on power, wait, then turn on stand by. To turn off: turn off stand by, then turn off power. I doubt that anyone, even Weber, disagrees with this.

• Members

Since day one I always put the an amp back into standby before powering off. There is something 100 per-{censored}ing-cent wrong with just hitting the power switch. I don't know what it is but I feel it in my bones!!

i can't stand that pop!

and i once blew a fuse so i just do the standby way.

never blown a tube/fuse since! and it's been about 4-5 years :o

• Members

Where did you hear the other way? I always switch the amp to standby for a little while and flip the power switch off after that. Does a standby switch do anything if the power switch is shut off? I wouldn't think so.

Archived