k, who here has a high gain amp and does NOT boost it..

shreder75

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was pretty cool. I wouldn't call it "better" or "worse"...just different.

Here's what I liked about it...I could step on the pedal and turn it off. Most high gain amps that I've played with that amount of saturation always seemed to have it...I couldn't do anything to turn it off without major tweaks to the amp's knobs. I love the QR's clarity...but in some cases, that added feel/saturation/aggressiveness, etc., of a boost is a nice option.

Very good point! You can add saturation with pedals but its a bitch to remove it from an already super saturated amp.

• Members

built in reverb can be nice =)

Yes it can, except for the fact that built in reverb tanks are usually noisy as hell in heads because the tank is so close to the transformers and all components. In combos they are usually mounted on the bottom and not a problem.

I actually replaced the tank in my KHR because I thought something was wrong with it. Turns out it just adds alot of noise and nothing can be done about it. So it can be a great option but not a very useful one in heads.

• Members

Yes it can, except for the fact that built in reverb tanks are usually noisy as hell in heads because the tank is so close to the transformers and all components. In combos they are usually mounted on the bottom and not a problem.

I actually replaced the tank in my KHR because I thought something was wrong with it. Turns out it just adds alot of noise and nothing can be done about it. So it can be a great option but not a very useful one in heads.

I hear ya..mine went all whacko in my AT-100...the footswitch would NOT turn the frigign' reverb off..even the on off switch on the head didn't work..had to zero it out..weird

• Members

raise your hands and be counted =D

I've noticed alotta people talking about boosts lately so I figured I'd see who goes straight into the amp (spatial effects like reverb, delay, chorus, etc, are fine..i'm strictly talking boost/od pedals)

I used to not boost.....turned my nose up at it........I was wrong....bossting rules......sorry......it works best fo me...

• Members

I hear ya..mine went all whacko in my AT-100...the footswitch would NOT turn the frigign' reverb off..even the on off switch on the head didn't work..had to zero it out..weird

yeah that's wierd. I learned the hard way after ownig some heads with verb that its not always the best idea to have it onboard.

• Members

Are my amps considered high gain amps?

I used to boost, but I've been playing my Mark III a lot, and I prefer it without the boost. It sounds clearer for my fast picking riffs (which are most of my riffs in the current band)

I do boost leads though, of course.

• Members

UPS just dropped my new Maxon OD808 Reissue boost pedal in my front door, so I'll let you know if I boost my amps afterwards or not hehe :thu:

Anyway my Hot Cat sounds great just like that, I don't think it can get tighter than stock, I do however wanna boost the clean channel for a mild/glassy overdrive, I really hope the Maxon can deliver.

:love:

• Members

Ok I just messed around with my SD-1 in front of my QR and now I remember why I don't use it....BLAH! It thins out and kind of compresses the overall sound. Not what I like. Perhaps a better boost would be better but so far I am really not a fan of running the boost in front of the Splawn at all.

• Members

i sometimes boost, but i dont really like adding stuff to an amp to get the base tone i need.

For me, that kinda negates the purpose of buying that amp to begin with if all you are gonna do is ram a boost up it.

I like my Dual without a boost, it sounds fatter that way and ive found that if i need a boost, why not just up the gain:rolleyes: :confused:

• Members

i sometimes boost, but i dont really like adding stuff to an amp to get the base tone i need.

For me, that kinda negates the purpose of buying that amp to begin with if all you are gonna do is ram a boost up it.

I like my Dual without a boost, it sounds fatter that way and ive found that if i need a boost, why not just up the gain:rolleyes:
:confused:

I agree with you up until the dual rec part.

For the last time, the boost is not for adding gain but for tightening up the amp.

• Members

I use my QR with and without boost. Like others have said, it's not about getting more gain. It's about getting a different texture. And sometimes you want a different texture. Same reason someone would kick on a chorus pedal or wah or whatever.

I suppose it's the same thinking as to why I have guitars with high output pups and low output pups. It's all about getting variations of the amp's base tone.

• Members

I agree with you up until the dual rec part.

For the last time, the boost is not for adding gain but for tightening up the amp.

Yes, I know.

BUT,

With my dual, a TS9 Boost doesnt really seem to tighten it, just seems to add a bit of gain away quite a lot of the low mid, leving in sounding a bit thinner and less full.

I dont really believe in gain boosts for leads, especially if you run quite a gainy rhythm sound. Volume boost, yes.

I must admit, of all the stuff that gets posted on here, i have yet to hear the proper benefits of boosting. For me, it takes away from the amp, not adds to it.

Not having a go or anything, just cant get my head round why everone needs a boost all the bloody time.:blah::rolleyes::wave::o

• Members

I never boost my VH140-C, nor did I with my old mark IV or powerball, and I dont boost the ultra module on my RM-100.

I used a TS-7 with my old dual recto, TSL-100, RG-80es, and all the other modules for the RM-100.

As long as it sounds badass does it really matter how you get there?

Archived