Crate V Series Any Good?

Introspectre

• Members

I'm considering trading in my Peavey XXL, and ValveKing combos in toward a Crate 50 watt V Series 1x12 combo. The fact that it has half the wattage, half the speakers, and half the power amp tubes really appeals to me (I'm tired of getting the cops called on my ass every day), and the 4x12AX7's and 2xEL34's sound pretty sweet, too. It comes with some kind of 1x12" Celestion speaker, too, so it wouldn't necessarily need an immediate speaker change.

So, my question, are they worth it? I find my ValveKing pretty much worthless, and the XXL is unbearable, to put it lightly. Anyone here have any experience with Crate's V Series?

Thanks in advance for any info and opinions. :thu:

• Members

Depends what are you gonna play with it, I love my V32 but even at 30 watts and a single speaker i can't get the master up past 10 without making the room shake, but man does it sound good there. If you're gonna play metal look elsewhere as this stops at 80's hair metal.

• Members

I'm considering trading in my Peavey XXL, and ValveKing combos in toward a Crate 50 watt V Series 1x12 combo. The fact that it has half the wattage, half the speakers, and half the power amp tubes really appeals to me (I'm tired of getting the cops called on my ass every day), and the 4x12AX7's and 2xEL34's sound pretty sweet, too. It comes with some kind of 1x12" Celestion speaker, too, so it wouldn't necessarily need an immediate speaker change.

So, my question, are they worth it? I find my ValveKing pretty much worthless, and the XXL is unbearable, to put it lightly. Anyone here have any experience with Crate's V Series?

Thanks in advance for any info and opinions.
:thu:

I've got some clips of my V30 here, for what they're worth ... :)

http://music.mp3lizard.com/jerth/

• Members

I have the VFX 5212 that I use for most live stuff we do. It has a good mix of power, tone and vibe. for the price it is a hard one to beat. Mine came with the Crate designed Eminence speakers. I have toyed with the idea of trying different speakers just to see what happens.

• Members

A lot of people really like these. I haven't played any yet but am also interested in a V50. Crate has just announced the VII series. The 50 watt combo uses 6L6s instead of EL34s. I really want to hear one of these but I don't think they are out yet.

Jerry

• Members

Thanks for the info, everyone. I do plan on using it to play metal, but I'm not worried about having endless gobs of muddy gain, that's not my style. Hell, it costs about the same as my ValveKing did, so I'll give it a try. It can't be a step down from the Peavey. LOL

• Members

The cleans were unbelievable but I thought the dirty was typical Crate. Returned it despite being in love with the cleans. If all I needed was a clean amp I'd reconsider.

Don't get too hung up on 50w vs 100w as sound level is only like 3db different, you just get more headroom w/ 100w. Also, while I haven't played the XXL the JSX at 120w didn't act like a 120w amp in the sound level dept.

If you're just jamming at home try the Roland Microcube if you haven't already. I use this w/ headphones with much delight and everyone can even be in bed! While I don't like the tone of this without headphones it's great w/ them IMO, using the classic stack is tone for days.

• Members

The cleans were unbelievable but I thought the dirty was typical Crate. Returned it despite being in love with the cleans. If all I needed was a clean amp I'd reconsider.

Don't get too hung up on 50w vs 100w as sound level is only like 3db different, you just get more headroom w/ 100w. Also, while I haven't played the XXL the JSX at 120w didn't act like a 120w amp in the sound level dept.

If you're just jamming at home try the Roland Microcube if you haven't already. I use this w/ headphones with much delight and everyone can even be in bed! While I don't like the tone of this without headphones it's great w/ them IMO, using the classic stack is tone for days.

Besides the point of wattage, there's also the fact that the Crate has half as many power tubes, and only 1x12" speaker. When I tried out the 50 watt 1x12" and 100 watt 2x12" ValveKings in the store before I bought mine, I noticed quite a difference in volume. Of course, maybe that's just me. :p

And thanks for the Roland Microcube suggestion, but now that I've played with tubes, I just can't force myself to go back. LOL Hearing that huge downgrade in tone just makes it very uninspiring to play.

Anyone else have much experience with them?

• Members

Both the V30 and V50 are sweet amps,but are also two very different animals.I had a VFX5212,which I really loved,but had to sell due to my ailing back [i live upstairs].I still have a V30H head,that I also totally dig.Both offer really nice clean tones [though voiced somewhat differently] to superb classic rock and '80's hair metal overdrive tones.There is plenty of gain on tap with each,it's just that they are voiced more to "old school" metal and classic heavy rock tones [pre '92].In other words,each will do early Lynch,Beech,DiMartini,etc [especially the V50]...each will not do Korn,Limp Biscuit,SOAD,etc...at least not as well as a Rectifier,5150 or a VH-140C.

For what it's worth,putting a pair of Celestion G12H-30 speakers in my V50 "twin" really brought out the best [at least to my ears] in both the clean and overdriven modes...giving the V50 more of a hot-rodded vintage Marshall like tone and vibe.Btw,like with most production line amps,make sure that it has a healthy set of tubes.I've played through a couple of each at Guitar Center that didn't even sound like that it was the same amp that I had owned.

Ed

• Members

The Crate V's are really Ampegs - I think Crate is only a 'brand' now and the R&D is done by the Ampeg gurus. Both Crate and Ampeg are owned by St. Louis Music which is now owned by LOUD [Mackie]. I have a Palomino V8 and it rocks.

FWIW - LOUD is moving production over to Vietnam, which is where the Mrk II series will be coming from. The current Crates are MIA with quality MIA parts and nicely voiced Celestion speakers. I have an uneasy feeling the Mrk II's are not going to be quite as sweet as the current MIA crop.

• Members

^ I would not take this guy's advice on anything if he thinks Korn and Limp Bizkit are metal. just my $.02

EDIT: the guy above the post above me...

Are you also a single issue voter? :confused:;)

Please read my post again.Where did I say that those bands have anything to do with modern metal?I was talking about gain from a tonal perspective...not from what band is "real" metal,or not.Yes,Korn and Limp Biscuit [btw,I don't like either band] use guitar tones that are both heavy and derived from the amps that I mention.

:freak:

Ed

• Members

Ok so I finally got to play a V50. Pretty sure this will be my next amp. Plenty of gain for me and I liked the way it was voiced. Clean was pretty good too but I don't play clean that much. Right next to it was one of the 80 watt Traynors. I liked the clean on the Traynor more but preferred the Crate's overdrive. I'll be running thru my Avatar 212 so I'm not really concerned with the stock speaker.

I'd say go for it. :thu:

• Members

Ok so I finally got to play a V50. Pretty sure this will be my next amp. Plenty of gain for me and I liked the way it was voiced. Clean was pretty good too but I don't play clean that much. Right next to it was one of the 80 watt Traynors. I liked the clean on the Traynor more but preferred the Crate's overdrive. I'll be running thru my Avatar 212 so I'm not really concerned with the stock speaker.

I'd say go for it.

Thanks for all the info, guys. :thu:

• 13 years later...
  • Members
On 3/6/2007 at 11:06 AM, draelyc said:

Thanks in advance for any info and opinions.

I've got some clips of my V30 here, for what they're worth ... :)

http://music.mp3lizard.com/jerth/

The Crate Vintage Club amplifier series are awesome. Definitely trade it.

Archived