I just found something that vastly improved my playing!

Poe36

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you read the same guitar mag article i did. i went out and bought some, too. i'm set. i used to use those little purple stubbies...well, i bought one once...i ddin't like the way it sort of forces your fingers into a certain place on the pick. with the jazz III, that's not an issue.

Yeah, that article was the last straw. I had been wanting to try some out for ever. I'm glad I finally got around to it :thu: .

• Members
So, I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about Jazz III picks. Yesterday, I decided to pick some up. I got one red and one black. I have to say that these picks have helped my playing more than any other single thing I have ever done! The only issue now is deciding whether I like the black or red one's more. I find that I prefer the red for soloing and the black for riffs. Which ones do you guys prefer? And does anyone else think the picks are this great?

:wave:

i started using those when i started playing again about 6 years ago.
i dont use them anymore-
i've found the normal "regular" sized picks offer more control.
just my opinion

• Members
So, I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about Jazz III picks. Yesterday, I decided to pick some up. I got one red and one black. I have to say that these picks have helped my playing more than any other single thing I have ever done! The only issue now is deciding whether I like the black or red one's more. I find that I prefer the red for soloing and the black for riffs. Which ones do you guys prefer? And does anyone else think the picks are this great?

I saw the Article/ ad in one of the guitar mags last week and decided to try them as well. I like them as they are very precise but a little too small for me. I think the reds feel a little flexier and I prefer them. Definitely great picks but I am not quitting my other Dunlops exclusively for these.

• Members
Meh.

Maybe if your some John Petrucci wannabe, yeah, you might be able to suppliment poor technique with a very ergonomic pick like the Jazz III.

They'res more to playing guitar than just fast alternate picking, like dynamics. You gotta be able to dig in deep to get loud and mean, or ease back for light and subtle playing. Control over the string is the idea.

How are you gonna control anything with a tiny little pick the size of the fingertip? Your not gonna have any dynamic control at all.

Same with thin picks. . what the hell is the point of a pick that bends when you hit the string? thats rediculous. You use a pick for precision, not for extra sloppness. Makes it harder to get a good hard sound out of the string.

So. . I use my fingers alot, or I use these big {censored}ers:

PK417P-200.jpg

2.0 mm. . .they're thick, completely stiff, and big. You can really beat the strings with them, you have complete control over dynamics and stuff like that. Plus, they are pretty generic shaped, so you dont have to mold your style and rely on a specific pick for it to work. You can buy them anywhere.

+ {censored}ing 1.

Try strumming, or hell, even playing a low E5 chug with SOME sort of dynamics with one of those Jazz Picks.

• Members

I have that Guitar One issue as well :D

Though, I have yet to try out the picks.

• Members

I was using regular ones before going the jazz III route..I'm not sure if it really improved my playing or if it's just the grip that really made me playing differently.

Now I feel they're way too small so I'm on the XL ones..pretty much a regular sized pick, and I don't have a problem playing different regular picks anymore..heh

• Members

I love these picks! I've used them for a good two years now. The only problem I find is that sometimes my index finger on my picking hand starts to bleed, but that's very occassional. That never happened with the Fender picks I used to use. But still, I think the smaller picks give more speed and I think they're easier to grip.

• Members
Like anything else, I htink it's important to use some discredtion and caution with your gear (or anhything in life! Food...drinks women!).

Like ampsyou don't REALLY want to use a $79 Goriila for your band, nor maybe you don't NEED (or doesn't even SUIT you) a 4,000 Deizel.

As far as picks....I think for your general rock playing, both lead and rhythm...don;t use the thin picks, and don;t use the extremely thick ones either.

I totally understand it's a personal thing, but I think it's preferable to have a little bit of "flex" in your pick. Accurate lead playing requires a bit of stiffness, and sweet rhythm playing sounds good with some twang or that flex in your pick.

And there is a bit of crossover playing as well.

I like the yellow Tortex picks. A little stiff yet some flex. I will also use the purple ones too. For acoutsic I will use a bit thinner pick for that light pluckiness.

I can acutally use several different kinds of picks....but I don;t like really thin ones, really small ones, or really huge ones. I've noticed that many people who use the extremes of the pick dimensions have poor, or very narrow technique.

You want it to fit in your fingers and be able to express it. Be fluid and fluent.

But you can also experiement a bit. Here's some different kinds of picks to try:

JFJF1XXXX.jpg

CCGPICK.jpg

H1ZP1CSXX.jpg

header_110704a.gif

And here's one I really want to check out:

238481.jpg

i use the dava control faithfully.... i tried to switch for a while but just had to go back to it.

• Members

Man, if you like Jazz III's wait'll you get your hands on the Tortex Jazz Picks.

• Members

i progressed from cheapo first act picks, to yellow tortex, to jazz IIIs and then to some really thick one, similar to the one with the little gator on it, (it may have been the same one, dont know...)then back to jazz IIIs...

i feel like you can get good dynamics with that sucker, you just got to get used to it being small, i dont see how it would be bad in anyway for that, also i cant understand how you get your finger in the way so much and make your finger bleed, i never really had that problem, i did it once or twice when i started using picks, but not at all after the first year.

whatever pick you use, you just got to get used to it, you can do whatever with whatever pick you happen to be using.

• Members

They'res more to playing guitar than just fast alternate picking, like dynamics. You gotta be able to dig in deep to get loud and mean, or ease back for light and subtle playing. Control over the string is the idea.

How are you gonna control anything with a tiny little pick the size of the fingertip? Your not gonna have any dynamic control at all.

Bull{censored}. Unless you have a hand size of a square meter, the Jazz III is just as good with dynamics as anything else. I have played with at least 10-15 different picks and Jazz III owns them all.

Archived