Getting a new mixer, any thoughts?

Tom_richard

• Members

Hey

I sold my behringer mixer a few months ago and bought a zoom r24 recorder, but am thinking about getting a new mixer now for live sound, and im short on money so i am buying a smaller one first, then getting a bigger one later on as i need it

Been thinking about buying a Yamaha mg102c for now, then maybe buying a larger mackie vlz mixer later, but i have heard many say that mackie isn't that good nowadays (atleast the cfx and profx?).

Is the yamaha any good?

when getting a bigger one should i get a yamaha or a mackie? (A&H and soundcraft is out of the picture)

• Members

If youre thinking the Mackie route, I personally would recommend a used Onyx 1220. I used one for years and have nothing but great things to say about it. Plenty of I/O's, optional firewire option, nice eq, excellent preamps and they are built solid. You can probably score on ebay for under $300 these days.

• Members

Not fond of Allen & Heath?

Well, i am not used to the interface of the A&H and some of their boards just doesn't make sense to me, but i am well aware that most people would probably reccomend a&h as the "best mixer", or atleast from reading other posts it seems that way.

• Members

I have a Yamaha MG102C for over 2 years and I'm happy with it. Great preamps for the price and it's well built. I once had a jack input that stopped working but I just had to clean it with a Q-tip and alcohol (just some dust, that's all).

The EQ would be decent for most but I don't think it's great (which is the case for most, if not all mixers). It's far better than the crappy Behringer EQ. The only thing I miss are volume sliders, but the rotary knobs work fine and make it small enough to put on a small laptop stand.

For its price it's the best mixer you can get. I've been wanting to upgrade to a Mackie for more inputs and an extra aux send, but I've read that Mackie has shifted production of its VLZ mixers to China and it's not the same quality as it used to be.

• Members

At the time I purchased my mixer, having internal effects was important. I got a Yamaha 16 channel mixer with effects, which I do like. The Mackie was a close second. However, now that I have had the Yammie for a few years, the one thing I HATE about it is the external power supply, AKA the line lump/wall wart. I wished I would have considered that at the time. My only advice is to make sure you get one with internal power supply with the standard universal power cable. Especially when using out, this is a necessary feature in my mind. I know the A&H has this, I think the Peavey does, as does Mackie. My 2 cents..

• Members

thinking about getting a new mixer now for live sound, and im short on money so i am buying a smaller one first, then getting a bigger one later

If you're just "thinking" then keep saving and buy what you really need instead of something that will be too small in the future.

For live use, will this be a submixer or the main mixer?

• Members

I ended up getting a mackie mixer (the one with firewire whose model # escapes me) from a buddy for cheap, but I had decided on getting a soundcraft notebook. Very small footprint and more than enough inputs (for me).

Onyx?

• Members

Does anyone make a mixer more geared towards synths/electronic music? I don't need 8 mono inputs and 2 stereo, if anything I need at least 8 stereo inputs and maybe 8 mono inputs for the older analog gear.

You want what is called a line mixer. They leave out the mike preamps, line level inputs only.

multimix_8__52617_zoom.jpg

That's an Alesis MultiMix 8 line mixer. 8 stereo (or mono) inputs, two units can be linked for 16 channels. About $200 new.

Archived