Getting a new mixer, any thoughts?

Tom_richard

• Members

Forgive me if i did not read close enough, but I used a Zoom R-16 recorder as a mixer for a while and it worked pretty well once I set it up. But you have to sort of set it and forget it. It will not make a good band mixer, but for keyboards it worked great for me.

• Members

Forgive me if i did not read close enough, but I used a Zoom R-16 recorder as a mixer for a while and it worked pretty well once I set it up. But you have to sort of set it and forget it. It will not make a good band mixer, but for keyboards it worked great for me.

Yeah it works fine, but i feel that it peaks/clips easily. Also i am really lazy, so i would like a mixer aswell, so that i won't have to unplug my zoom for every band practice. But yeah it works really well, but i'd like a mixer for band setting, i've heard that it sometimes shuts down for no reason, but that might just be a bad unit.

• Members

How much money are you wanting to spend? I did quite a bit of research about 6 months ago for a sub-$500 mixer for my band, and for my keys at home when not gigging. I wound up getting the Yamaha MG166CX for $429. I'm very happy with it, overall.

Pros:

- 16 channels

- effects are decent for run-of-the-mill live use

- compression on first 6 channels

- sweepable parametric EQ on most channels

- PFL and lit on/off for each track

- low noise

Cons:

- it's HUGE, it takes a lot of rackspaces to mount it

- external power supply

- no plugin for soundman light

It's way too big for me to use as a live keys mixer, but it's fine for home. Works very well for a small (5pc or so) live band mixer assuming the keyboards are submixed. I use an el-cheapo behringer for submixing keys (and sax/accordion mic) live, it works fine. Regarding your question about Mackie Vs. Yamaha, I've found Yamaha pretty hard to beat. I worked in a music store in the 80s and 90s, sold tons of both, used both quite a bit. The quality for both was good, the yamaha's usually gave a little more for the money though. If Mackie's quality has gone down since then, then it's a no brainer for me - Yamaha.

• Members

ok i've been thinking, i am considering getting a Yamaha mg124cx for now, then in a year if my new band is still going well i am considering buying an A&H ZED420 for band purposes, ill still use my yamaha for the keyboards and stereo-out that to the a&h

• Members

I've owned two older Yamaha MG16/6 FX for years now.

The pre-amps are excellent. The FX are good - but limited.

I understand the newer models offer more effects.

The mixer is big, heavy, built like a tank.

I've had small problems on 1 of them.

A tape out makes noise. A jack broke in 1 output

and I can't get it out.

But the Yamaha MG series are worth buying on their pre-amps alone.

• Members

I've used Yamaha mixers for years and have had excellent service from them, I still use an older MQ1202 in my home studio and a several year old Yamaha 16ch mixer at our church. Like all of my other Yamaha gear, they are rock steady and rarely need any service. I know it's not the best criteria for judging a manufacturer's product line, but based on the powered speaker system at our church (the speakers were already installed before I started going there) I would NEVER purchase anything from the Mackie line, those speakers are pure crap. And surely someone will now tell me that I don't know how to set the system up, properly gain stage, etc., I can tell you that after 40+ years of dealing with sound systems and getting excellent results in my home studio and various venues, it has nothing to do with how it is set up in the church, the problem is the speakers themselves. Now maybe their mixers are OK, but I would never take a chance on them based on my experience with their speakers. I will say that I do use an older Korg rackmount line mixer in my home studio to increase the number of inputs I have available.

Clyde

• Members

You'll want to use the mixer for recording to. Anytime you got other recording direct instruments or more then one synth being used. To mix them down to the 2ch being recorded. Anyway the Yamaha MG series are very nice. I use a Yamaha MG 10/2. Ive had it for at least 8 yrs and probably 9. Works as good as new.

Archived