Best high end synth/digital piano for live playing?

Farmogoyf

• Members

Been thinking of switching to a higher end keyboard that will hold me for a few years (or so I hope!), and I wanted to see what some of your opinions were. I mostly play churches, so the acoustic sounds like piano, strings, organ are the most important to me (although I do want some nice synth sounds because I love to play around). I should note that this will not really be used as a recording keyboard, so ease of use and switching between sounds/layers is very important. I prefer something lighter if possible, and would like to stick to ~40 lbs max. I am considering the MotifXF, Kronos, RD300NX, S70XS, Jupiter 80, etc... What are your thoughts on a great live board?

• Members

With those boards, you'll get as many different responses as there are boards. They are all very good and the differences come down to personal taste. If you can, find a store(s) that carries all/most of them and try 'em out! Have fun!
:thu:

I know there will be quite a few differing opinions, and I am not in any way trying to start a debate :-) I am just curious as to which board folks think is best given what I am looking for. I tried many of these boards in the store (can't find anything from Kurzweil, anywhere near me in Philly :-(, and I still can't decide. I am hoping someone will have a thought or two that might make me go... "oh, yea, thats a really good point" and help me make my decision.

• Members

Piano, strings organ, plus some synth; under 40 pounds; easy to use...

I'd look at Nord Electro 3, Nord Stage 2, and Roland VR-700. The Electro will be lightest, the Stage will be most capable, and I'd say the VR700 has the best action of the three, if you must play piano and organ from the same board.

Yamahas (Motif/MOX) are great boards, but the organs are a little weaker than those Nord/Roland models, and operation is a bit more complicated.

Kronos is nice, but only the 61-key is in your weight range, and it's also more complicated.

The Jupiter 80 and RD300NX could be possibilities, I don't have much experience with them... though I think the RD300NX organ functionality is pretty weak.

I'll also toss out the possibility of a Hammond SK-1 or SK-2 just because, for church use, it's got some great sounding pipe organs.

What keyboard(s) have you been using so far? And are you more oriented toward an organ action or a piano action?

• Members

I think the KURZ PC388K is a very safe bet. I played a Kronos 88 and was blown away by the piano sound. Much different experience than the 61key model. The Roland 300NX is safe but the RD-700NX is far superior. Do not like the Yammi, but that is just me.

I now these are over 40lbs buy around 10-15lbs but your playing experience will be awesome. The KURZ is the safest bet and has a killer VA synth and organ built in as well.

Good luck.

Archived