Best amp for playing Death Metal "Live"?

Bloodsoaked

• Members

I am been home recording now for a bit over a year and I have been using my V-Amp Pro. I am now looking to play some live gigs and start jamming and was wondering if I could get some advice as to what amp would be the best for playing Death Metal live? Anthing from $1000 and under.

Could I use my V-Amp Pro live? I have a Marshall MG Series 250DFX that I use to practice with in my apartment. Could I run the V-Amp Pro through the Marshall MG Series 250DFX for live and practice with a band?

Any info would be great!!!

Peter

• Members

Hey what's up Peter(I'm from MT).

Sure you could run the V-amp into the FX return of the MG and it would work well as you'd skip the amp's preamp. But it might not sound too great

For 1000$ and under? Do you care if it's a combo or not?

Suggestions:

Peavey 5150

Peavey Ultra (essentially the XXX like Suffo use these days, but much cheaper).

Ampeg VH140-C

All come in heads or combo formats, and all brutal and loud as {censored}.

• Members

Dude, don't use the V-amp live.

I'd say your best bet would be a nice Randall solid state head (probably 200 to 300 bucks) and a G12T75 loaded Marshall cab. You can score those as cheap as 300 bucks depending on condition.

As far as the Randall head, I would go for an RG100ES and boost it with a Bad Monkey or a Metal Zone and you will be in death metal territory no problem.

If you REALLY got lucky you could pick up a 5150 and a Marshall cab for under $1000. That's a badass setup right there and can handle whatever you throw at it.

• Members

Hey what's up Peter(I'm from MT).

Sure you could run the V-amp into the FX return of the MG and it would work well as you'd skip the amp's preamp. But it might not sound too great

For 1000$ and under? Do you care if it's a combo or not?

Suggestions:

Peavey 5150

Peavey Ultra (essentially the XXX like Suffo use these days, but much cheaper).

Ampeg VH140-C

All come in heads or combo formats, and all brutal and loud as {censored}.

Damn, fast replies......LOL

Nope, I do not care if it is a combo or not, jsut looking for the best Death Metal sound live for under $1000. Is a combo going to sound like a head and cab or not?

Thank you,

Peter

• Members

Well no, 4x12's generally have more bass response, plus they look cooler. But the Ultra combos have some weird feature in their poweramp that adds assloads of resonance to make it sound closer to a 4x12.

Edit: Oh yeah, why don't you buy gearmonkey's XXX! With 250$ hit up some 2nd hand instrument dealers, you're bound to find something for very little more than that.

• Members

So for about $600 I would be all set huh?

As far as the Randall head, I would go for an RG100ES and boost it with a Bad Monkey or a Metal Zone and you will be in death metal territory no problem.

If you REALLY got lucky you could pick up a 5150 and a Marshall cab for under $1000. That's a badass setup right there and can handle whatever you throw at it.

I ahve seen a lot of peopel talking about the 5150......is that the way to go?

Peter

• Members

Peavey Triple XXX. I bought one used for $475 locally. It's a great amp for death metal and Suffocation does use these live now. Most people choose to retube them with el34s but mine came retubed with jj 6l6s and it sounds sick.

Is this the amp your talking about: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-Super-40-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo?sku=481393

Peter

• Members

Yeah but I have the head not the combo. You might want to look into a used 5150 as well, just keep an eye out on craigslist and other local classifieds and see if anything pops up.

+1, the 5150 is ideal for that death metal grind

• Members

Boosted Single Rectifier would get you there. The best death metal tone I ever heard was from a boosted Dual Rectifier. Singles can be had for $750 if you're lucky. Ideally you'd need a Mesa cab, a 2x12 runs for $300.

• Members

Peter

Yes, you could be set for $600-$700. However, I would look for a Peavey Ultra or if you can swing it, a 5150. Whatever you do, don't compromise on the cab. The Marshall should be the lowest end you're looking at. Running a nice head through a {censored} cab (like a 5150 through a 5150 cab, for example:mad: ) is like running purified water through a {censored} clogged pipe.

• Members

Peter

Why don't you try it out? It's a matter of taste, you have to to decide if you like the sound of it. I personally do, in the right context, for example death metal.

• Members

You cant do any better than the ampeg VH140-C for death metal, I believe the crate gx130-c is the same thing but usually cost less because of its "name"

Canibal corpse, suffocation, decapitated all used VH140-C back in the day, you just cant get any more death metal than that. The best part about those amps is that you dont need a boost pedal to add more gain / sustain or to tighten the amp up, and you dont need any other b.s. either. Its death metal tone as soon as plug into it:thu:

• Members

My peavey ultra 60 DOESN'T have a big enough bass response for death metal >[

I really want a 5150, but they're too much :[ Back a year or two ago they were like $400, wtf is up now? they're way too high now for used.

Archived