Why is the Soldano SLO100 so expensive?

danbronson

• Members

Because it's overpriced :idea:

That said, they're very good amps. Not quite worth the price of admission IMO, but you can find some decent prices on used ones. Built like a tank for the most part, top dollar parts throughout(although the PCBs look a little chintzy).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Get an Avenger.......the high gain channel of the SLO for a third of the price...

Actually I rented an Avenger once. I felt it was a pretty crappy amp for it's price. It paled in comparison to my JCM800, despite having deeper bass response (most amps do). I'm sure the SLO100 is a much better amp...still, I could never justify spending that much on anything so simple. Maybe used for $2.5K or under....

blargh, you think the PCB looks bad? I think that's the cleanest PCB I've ever seen in my life.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the sounds of my Mesa Roadster. I just wish the damn thing would STAY WORKING!

Oh and fwiw, I did spend all my scratch on that PRS. It was worth it.:)

• Members

blargh, you think the PCB looks bad? I think that's the cleanest PCB I've ever seen in my life.

Well, I'm not complaining about the layout, but I've read in various places that double sided PCBs with through-plated holes and solder masking are more durable than a plain single sided one. But SLO's are really solid so I imagine they'll hold up just fine if you dont abuse the PCB, which is not likely to happen accidentally with the chassis mounted tube sockets and pots.

• Members

Soldanos are built to 'military specifications'. Which means extremely high-grade parts and extremely meticulous craftsmanship. They don't let so much as a spec of dust in the room that their built in...these guys are probably wearing spacesuits. No joke!

• Members

No no no... Are you forgetting that the Bugera has soul? The SLO does not.... Not even comparable, damnit!!!!

youre right, it has no soul. its just a piece of hardware. good thing I have soul.... and i squeeze every ounce of it through that amp.:thu:

• Members

Actually I rented an Avenger once. I felt it was a pretty crappy amp for it's price. It paled in comparison to my JCM800, despite having deeper bass response (most amps do). I'm sure the SLO100 is a much better amp...still, I could never justify spending that much on anything so simple. Maybe used for $2.5K or under....

I don't understand why you would think the SLO is that much diff than the Avenger....:freak: I'm talking high gain tonewise.......of course the SLO as the clean channel and the loop.......but the gain circuit is essentially the same thing.....I just picked up an Avenger and it's kicking my ass!

• Members

I inquired about this thing today, my dealer quoted me $3900 CAD. Doesn't that seem a little ridiculous?

Supply and demand. You want it real bad, Soldano knows it and charges you for it. Besides, there are a lot of restards that think $ = teh best and that isn't always the case. That being said, the SLO is the only high gain amp I've ever considered, but wouldn't cough up nearly four grand on one.:D

• Members

I don't understand why you would think the SLO is that much diff than the Avenger....
:freak:
I'm talking high gain tonewise.......of course the SLO as the clean channel and the loop.......but the gain circuit is essentially the same thing.....I just picked up an Avenger and it's kicking my ass!

I know for a fact that they use different transformers. I've heard of other little circuitry differences too.

Keep in mind the 5150 and Recto also have similar circuits and they sound nothing alike.

• Members

Nah, circuit-wise they're very close to a 5150...SHOCKING!

Decent amps tho, I like Boogies take on it better...especially if you have to pay for it.
:D

They very well MAY be close circuit-wise, but let me tell you from personal experience, the 5150 and SLO sound NOTHING alike...lol... The Dual Rec 2 channel is supposed to be very close to an SLO circuit-wise and they sound

nothing alike either.

You know that two amps with the EXACT same circuit can sound nothing alike.

So why bring this into it? They simply don't sound alike, the 5150 and SLO that is.

• Members

They very well MAY be close circuit-wise, but let me tell you from personal experience, the 5150 and SLO sound NOTHING alike...lol... The Dual Rec 2 channel is supposed to be very close to an SLO circuit-wise and they sound

nothing alike either.

You know that two amps with the EXACT same circuit can sound nothing alike.

So why bring this into it? They simply don't sound alike, the 5150 and SLO that is.

Yah, I've played them all...

There's a TON of things that make up an amp. I've built a couple in my time.:thu:

I'll delve deeper....different OT, PT, filter caps, cathode caps, anode resistors,the way you work the grid, tone stack and position, hell even layout and design play a HUGE part of a amps tone.

I was just trying to inform warplanegrey that the amp he has coming isn't all that different than the amp he has been slamming.

Why do you care?

Give me your Axe-Fx!

• Members

I know for a fact that they use different transformers. I've heard of other little circuitry differences too.

Keep in mind the 5150 and Recto also have similar circuits and they sound nothing alike.

I'll have to get mine side by side to my buddie's SLO.....I've played it a couple of times.....they have to sound at least somewhat similar...it's not like comparing two different manufacturers...If you hated the Avenger.....I'll bet the SLO isn't for you either.....I fucking LOVE :love: my Avenger...:love::thu:

• Members

I didn't hate the Avenger. I just felt it was too expensive for the tones it was producing. I liked my JCM800 more (mostly due to it's clarity even with the gain maxed and overdriven), though the 800 wasn't as big/deep sounding. The Avenger got muddy and unclear if the gain was at a certain point, but under that point it wasn't full or aggressive enough so I ended up having to compensate whenever I dialed it in. I just couldn't get along with it.

Archived