Why is the Soldano SLO100 so expensive?

danbronson

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't be much happier with the SLO I got. I haven't found anything that compares to it so far. I heard that Soldano only builds around 250-275 pieces of gear a year (total, not just SLO's). I don't mind spending a little bit more than major production line amps if I can be assured of quality and great tone. Sure you don't get 12 switches and 3 channels...but, the 2 channels you get and how well it cleans up, how easy it is to EQ and can virtually always get a good sound no matter how it's set up is awesome. A shared EQ hasn't proven to be a problem so far. Although it costs some cash, the concerns I had about it (shared EQ, quality of clean channel) weren't concerns after playing it. Oh and that overdrive channel is pretty hard to beat if you're looking for a supercharged Marshall crunch. I guess a ton of options can take away some tone from amps...I don't mind their simplistic approach and this coming from someone who was playing a 3 channel Triple Recto and a Line 6 Vetta II.

• Members

Any novice can buy a pile of bodies, necks, pickups, bridges, etc and build a guitar.

Can a novice buy a pile of tubes, resistors, caps, transformers, etc and build an SLO?

Didn't think so.

That's why good amps cost money.

Sure they could... it's not that hard to etch a PCB you got online and insert all the components and do wiring, in a Weber chassis with clone trannies.

• Members

Soldano has one of the most simple preamp circuits
here in Brazil, tube amps are VERY expensive new and used
Peavey JSX = $3300, Mesa Dual Rectifier = $5000
even a Peavey Valveking costs $1000
so in the last 3 years handbuilt amps became the first preference, cause they are a lot cheaper for us
there are some great brazilian handmakers here and the Soldano SLO100 copies are the most cheap hi gain amps here
a GOOD handbuilt SLO100 costs about $1000 here now ($700 about 2 years ago)
but the cost in good parts is about $350
a nice rack preamp with Soldano circuit can be bought for $230-$300

Archived