What's the best giggable VA??

wkendhacker

• Members

lots to choose form: Korg mirokorg XL, Roland Sh-01, Akai miniAK...that casio...well Both of the casios!

For gigging, I'd take the original MicroKorg over the XL, because of its 1-button patch selection, very useful live. Though if patch selection isn't an issue, the forthcoming Arturia Minibrute might be the pick of the price range for real-time tweakability... if you can deal with something monophonic.

To the OP, I take it it has to be a keyboard? i.e. not a module that that you could trigger from some other keyboard?

• Members

For gigging, I'd take the original MicroKorg over the XL, because of its 1-button patch selection, very useful live. Though if patch selection isn't an issue, the forthcoming Arturia Minibrute might be the pick of the price range for real-time tweakability... if you can deal with something monophonic.

To the OP, I take it it has to be a keyboard? i.e. not a module that that you could trigger from some other keyboard?

Minibrute is NOT VA though (wkendhacker specified VA)... new Casio if they sell for $499 my vote

• Members

AN1x?

Amen to that. Great keybed, lots of knobs, very usable ribbon... I dont have to mention that it sounds like million dollars.

Im trying to break in Blofeld atm but it is a bit of a ticking bomb with occasional crap outs due to bugs. Next Saturday Ill give it a shot on stage and see how it goes. The interface is seems kinda counter intuitive for live use but Im getting the hang of it.

• Members

yeh don't use a real analogue...the audience will go into shock and when their back home they'll throw away all their new music from artists that used VST synths!

...that would be just terrible!

The micro KORG sounds better than Analog..... Ducks and covers..LOL

• Members

Amen to that. Great keybed, lots of knobs, very usable ribbon... I dont have to mention that it sounds like million dollars.

Im trying to break in Blofeld atm but it is a bit of a ticking bomb with occasional crap outs due to bugs. Next Saturday Ill give it a shot on stage and see how it goes. The interface is seems kinda counter intuitive for live use but Im getting the hang of it.

;)

Not sure if 8 counts as "lots of knobs". But it beats Blofeld since AN1X matrix system offers double the knobs you get per section you're in. Not to mention Scene Morphing and recordable envelopes (and you get assignable section for knobs so you can assign them to whatever you want/need - that would've been great on the Blo!)... yummy! :)

FTR, epyon77x currently has my AN1X as the blue beastie waits for me to be picked up. :)

• Members

-I'm not sure, but in a good day you might be able to find CS6X with AN1X and/or DX7 expansions.

The AN1X card (PLG-150AN) would be VA, the other expansion wouldn't. But also, the actual AN1X would be the better VA choice if possible, because it has (I believe) two of the AN1X cards in it, and a front panel interface interface dedicated to VA functionality (which is simpler, and part of the "joy" of VA). (The lack of a real panel tweaking interface is also why I'd down-rate the Alesis Micron/MiniAK even though they sound good.)

• Members

I think so far it's boiling down to an Ion or possibly the new casio. When do they go on sale again?

Ion would be very nice. Physically on the large side, but nice sounds (like the Micron you like) but with the real controls.

Casio does look really nice, it remains to be seen how VA it sounds in real life. The P1 is supposed to come out at the end of March for $500. The other model, with more extensive front panel synth controls (which would be better for you, though you lose some other features like the clonewheel function) is coming out later, and I think will be $100 more. It will also have some sampling functions.

• Members

Then I'd throw a Korg Radias Rack into the mix here. In your price range, used. That or the Alesis Ion if you want a keyboard instead of a module. Both very capable and versatile.

The Korg RADIAS is one of my favorite synths ever. I sold my spare (keybed and rack) for $650 in mint, unused condition so they are out there for around that price (I paid $500 for it).

-Mc

• Members

Predecessor of the Radias was the Korg MS-2000. A very versatile synth, perhaps warmer-sounding than Radias, and still has the fun analogue-style sequencing. Keyboard or rack versions, you'd probably get one for way less than your budget.

• Members

The you need to include used version in that. One of the easiest portable VA's Ive owned is Nord Lead2x. Well out of your price range. Price and portability are not related. In your price range only thing thats good and portable I know of is the M-audi Venom. Right at $499. But best suited to those wanting agressive modern Va synth tone rather then smooth. it'll do smooth, but it excells at other things better.

Archived