Anyone like the old Fender M-80's around here?

V-Type

• Members

I was stuck at GC waiting too find out that the Epi Lp I was told was in and it wasnt. So tagged for $120 used is a Fugly gray carpeted Fender M-80 chorus head .Kinda worn but all intact. Well I ran the Fender through the Marshall 1960 A they had available with a Used USA Fat Srat. Holy {censored} the thing was Crazy loud and doesnt have that horrid SS clipping at high volumes I noticed on other SS's either. Easily as loud and tonefull as my GH50L's ballpark.

Anyways the Clean was that beautifull sparkly Fender sig clean and plenty gig loud. The Gain channel was not too bad either and has a nice mid gain vibe going on and I was able to dial in a decent ac/dc tone and the with gain over halfed it was very Metal indeed and with a good amount of Volume and again as loud and clear as around my GH50L. The chorus is OK as well as the reverb but nothing really special.

So without footswitch it came to $110 out the door at GC. Fukk the Epi case this wekk I guess. New Amp Day.

So who used to get some good tones out of these and what speakers did you use?

Thanks

• Members

That was my first "real" amp. Dude, that gain channel was horrid. The clean channel was nice though, and loud as {censored}. I use to play in the band for basketball games, and that little guy kept up with the drums in a friggin' gym! I ran a little Korg multi-FX into it, and it sounded pretty damn good, for a cheap little setup.

• Members

You get that from the AP GC? I saw that head there.

I got my Laney GH50L for $99 from that store.

Which guy did you buy it from?

Yep the AP GC. Damn I thought I got a deal on my Gh50($250.) The accesories guy hooked me up btw.

Yeah the clean is pretty nice for a SS. The Gain is about as good as the Blue Voodoo I used to have give or take. Im going to put a TS-9 in front of it and and EQ in the loop and see how that goes or maybe use a modeler thru its loop. I needed a very low maint. type of amp for low $$ and enough volumes for small gigs or practice but without the hassle of dragging the Laney around.

The back of the amp also has a 2005 service tag from Elderly Instruments and looks pretty clean on the inside the chasis to boot.

• Members

That was my first major amp as well, lol. I still have the {censored}ing cab! I had an M-80 Pro, and it wasn't nearly as terrible as you'd think - I played in metal and punk bands with it. I'm sure now my opinion would differ, but my memory of it was that it at least sounded better than the Peavey I had before it. I used it with a Digitech processor, and got some decent tones out of it, especially recorded.

• Members

Well ive been playing around and the M80 isnt terrible at all. Sure its a 90's SS vibe amp and of course Not a tube amp. But with a 10 band in the effects returns and the front boosted by my Ds-1 for now combined with my Peavey cab sounds pretty passable so far and about drummer loud. Im gonna need an Noise suppressor though I think as well as a better front boost. It gets a hardly audible but present to me sizzle(not the good kind) after about mid Master on the Gain channel and about the same on the clean.

With the Gain on 3/4 and the DS-1 clean boosting it Im getting decent 80's metal tones. The Clean with a chorus and delay added could be shimmering with a tad more Eq work and is shake the windows loud.

Yep for a $100 second amp its a keeper.

Hey Marc Roy What speakers are in those cabs?

Too bad shipping would be a Bitch or Id be tempted to try a matching cab.

Also Ive yet to try a footswich(wasnt included) will standard 1/4 types work and how many buttons? Mines the M80 chorus reverb head.

Btw My Laney kills it but for the low $ and with some easy effects processing gets close enough results so the Laney can stay safe at home.

• Members

Well ive been playing around and the M80 isnt terrible at all. Sure its a 90's SS vibe amp and of course Not a tube amp. But with a 10 band in the effects returns and the front boosted by my Ds-1 for now combined with my Peavey cab sounds pretty passable so far and about drummer loud. Im gonna need an Noise suppressor though I think as well as a better front boost. It gets a hardly audible but present to me sizzle(not the good kind) after about mid Master on the Gain channel and about the same on the clean.

With the Gain on 3/4 and the DS-1 clean boosting it Im getting decent 80's metal tones. The Clean with a chorus and delay added could be shimmering with a tad more Eq work and is shake the windows loud.

Yep for a $100 second amp its a keeper.

Hey Marc Roy What speakers are in those cabs?

Too bad shipping would be a Bitch or Id be tempted to try a matching cab.

Also Ive yet to try a footswich(wasnt included) will standard 1/4 types work and how many buttons? Mines the M80 chorus reverb head.

Btw My Laney kills it but for the low $ and with some easy effects processing gets close enough results so the Laney can stay safe at home.

I can't remember which speakers are in there. I haven't used the thing in years. I think they might be Eminence or something like that, if I remember correctly.

• Members

Hey V-type, did you check out the VHT pittbull or the mesas they had while they were there?

Yep I saw them both the VHT was pretty cool looking and I think tagged at $800 and they had tucked away next to the Carvin a cool looking Rivera combo as well. I saw a cool old Randall head but it was a bit pricey But at their prices little deals were to be had.

Im actually holding onto $450 till next week and buying one of the Bugera's unless some Amazing deal comes along. lol.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

I started out with the 2x12 combo at 15 years old. I didn't have much use for the OD channel, as my pedal collection was already grown beyond when the amp was capable of. However, that clean channel was a perfect foundation for effects. Then, about 7 years later I managed to get a full stack put together between my local GC and eBay. Stupid loud. Still have it, but haven't fired it up in close to 7 years. OD channel actually sounds pretty great when looped into a Sonic Maximizer and a touch of spring reverb. That particular amp really likes active pickups. Ended up selling the combo amp when I got my Peavey Vypyr 2x12. Kinda regret it, but I was honestly never going to use it. Can't wait to have a space to make some noise with the stack again. I miss it.

Archived