are there any guitars with a neck pickup positioned like this?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I've never seen a guitar like this, but I think it would be perfect for me.

I love playing lead stuff on the neck position of a mahogany or mahogany/maple guitar, the upper notes always sound very nice and thick, but the problem is the lower notes sound too bassy and muddy. If I could get it so that the lower notes were balanced with the upper register notes, then I would stay on the neck pickup all the time.

My question is: Are there any guitars that have a neck humbucker that is positioned at an angle with the treble side snug against the neck and have it angled back farther away from the neck on the bass side???... think of a tele bridge pickup, but a humbucker, in the neck, and angled the opposite direction.

I have never seen a guitar with a neck pickup positioned like that but I think it would sound perfect (atleast, for me anyways).... you think I could get a custom guitar made like that?

See, if it was a basswood guitar, the lower notes would probably be a little more balanced, but then the high notes would lose that fat/round quality to them... I think a mahogany body/maple top guitar with a neck pickup positioned like I explained would be perfect sounding for me. Is there any reason why this couldn't be done? Or hasn't been done? (as far as I know...)

:wave:

• Members

I drew a little picture in paint to show what I was talking about.

neckpickup.jpg

Anyone ever seen anything like this? I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done, although I guess the pickup would have to be a bit longer depending on how much of an angle it was at

• Members

Have you tried turning the bass down with an EQ?

-W

ahhh, you guys are missing my point. see, I LIKE how it makes the upper register notes sound, nice and round and thick. but when playing shred stuff running through patterns, any notes on the E, A, D strings just sound TOO round/bassy/thick... just doesn't sound good. in the same way a les paul is just far too muddy/bassy in most areas when using the neck pickup. turning the bass down would clear it up a little, but it would still have that weird round/flubby/overly bassy kind of sound on the low strings...

anyways, I think having an angled pickup would solve it perfectly, because it would keep the sound I like about the upper register notes and have the lower notes balance with it much more. if I had something like this I would never leave the neck pickup, because it would have the perfect inbetween sound I love

• Members

you can use the neck pickup for solos upper in the neck and bridge for rythm

I know, but it's a pain switching back and forth in the middle of something fast, and the bridge pickup lacks the nice round and punchy sound you get in the neck that I love

• Members

I drew a little picture in paint to show what I was talking about.

neckpickup.jpg

Anyone ever seen anything like this? I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done, although I guess the pickup would have to be a bit longer depending on how much of an angle it was at

What are you ? a lefty ? :D

• Members

I think you would have pole alignment issues with a standard humbucker. If I were you, I'd get two of the widest single coil pups I could find, and have a custom pickguard cut to fit them in a /__/ shape. Then, all you have to do is wire them as a humbucker. Still, I don't know if you could get enough of an angle to do what your saying.

Archived