bogner xtc heavy clips?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I want to see how heavy the xtc can get. I just heard a vai recording from another thread where he's playing an xtc and it sounded awesome. I didn't think the xtc could get that heavy, so, now I'm interested in hearing more clips. anybody got any for me? :wave:

• Members

I heard a Ecstacy 101B live before, it was a band out of Cleveland and yea it got pretty heavy. I think thats one reason, after borring my brother in law's Uberschall a while back, why they left those two amps alone cause if you throw a halfway decent EQ thru the loop like I did, you could get it to act as a 3rd channel/boost.

• Members

The Ecstacy can get heavy as hell. What it doesn't get is tight and saturated. If you're planning on playing megadeath riffs, it's not the amp for you.

AFAIK vai uses his keeley DS1 to boost his XTC on the really heavy stuff.

I'll try to record some heavy clips this week and get them up.

-W

• Members

The Ecstacy can get heavy as hell. What it doesn't get is tight and saturated. If you're planning on playing megadeath riffs, it's not the amp for you.

AFAIK vai uses his keeley DS1 to boost his XTC on the really heavy stuff.

I'll try to record some heavy clips this week and get them up.

-W

During his Bogner days, he was still using the stock DS-1. He started using the Keeleys just after he started using his Legacy then he went to the Analogman DS-1 and now he's back to the stock ones.

He doesn't boost his rhythm tone, just leads.

• Members

I dragged the bogner upstairs and recorded this quickly. Playing sucks, sorry about that, but who wants excuses right?

Signal chain:

Carvin DC747 w/ Dimarzio DS7 >

Bogner XTC 101B w/ KT77

Hotplate set at -8db

SM57

Mbox2

Straight into protools, no EQ in or out, no compression

Bogner settings (in oclock)

Red channel w/boost

Structure High

Excursion Loose

PreEQ B1

Volume 9

Treble 2

Mid 12

Bass 1

Gain 1

Came out a bit bass heavy, but I think that's the mic placement combined with the loose excursion. Had more mids and was more 3D in the room.

Anyway:

Clip

-W

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=24030

• Members
Aw darnit, I was hoping you would have just kept playing it like the beginning part. People would have gone ape{censored}. The rumors that it can't do metal would never die.
:D
:D

Hehe, I should have! Actually I did that to show the dynamic range of the amp. I didn't touch the settings or the volume knob on the guitar. It's a very sensitive amp so you can do all kinds of stuff just varying your playing. I usually don't use it for heavy stuff, but it's not because it can't do it.

-W

• Members

I dragged the bogner upstairs and recorded this quickly. Playing sucks, sorry about that, but who wants excuses right?

Came out a bit bass heavy, but I think that's the mic placement combined with the loose excursion. Had more mids and was more 3D in the room.

Anyway:

-W

Absolutely punishing. The Ecstacy would be the first amp I'd buy if someone gave me the choice, and cemented it's place as the first amp through this clip.

Seems super easy to record the amp too to get a great sound.

*drools everywhere* I waaaantz...

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Well, here's a short lead clip I made awhile ago. The XTC is pretty much out front in the mix and starts right away. Its all red channel with no external boost. I am fairly sure I used a JEM 7VWH and a Recto 4X12 w/V30s.

Is the rhythm also a XTC here? Would like to hear this without lead if so

• Members
Well, here's a short lead clip I made awhile ago. The XTC is pretty much out front in the mix and starts right away. Its all red channel with no external boost. I am fairly sure I used a JEM 7VWH and a Recto 4X12 w/V30s.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=22057/

Nice fat clean tone.:thu: Is that using 6L6s'?
Heres' something I did at low volume. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=795963&songID=6919086 Not exactly heavy though. Heavy is more in the production, I like the tone to be clean and fat.

Archived