Dimarzio Evolution 7 vs the Dimarzio Blaze 7 Custom?

Chrisjd

• Members

I recently picked up a Ibanez RG 7421 guitar, and I really like it so far. The stock pickups are fine, but I know I can do better. I dont want emgs in this one, so I have been looking at the dimarzios, since they kinda go hand-in-hand with ibanez it seems. Can anyone compare the tonal characteristics of the evo and the blaze custom? I am looking for tight, crisp, and really defined. I could always go get a Seymour duncan distortion 7 string pickup, but I am making myself try something new. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

• Members

The blaze custom has a built in midscoop. It sounds very sterile and emgish. Good if "br00tl tight riffin" is your thing. The evo is a looser pickup with a lot of gain and chunk, and a very full lead sound.

-W

I'd have to disagree with most of that :p

The blaze I always found to be very muddy. Dunno about the Blaze Custom but from the looks of there being more mids that might help things. IT definatly doesn't sound like an EMG though.

The Evo isn't that much looser. It's hotter and clearer IMO.

• Members

The blaze custom has a built in midscoop. It sounds very sterile and emgish. Good if "br00tl tight riffin" is your thing. The evo is a looser pickup with a lot of gain and chunk, and a very full lead sound.

-W

I'd have to disagree with most of that :p

The blaze I always found to be very muddy. Dunno about the Blaze Custom but from the looks of there being more mids that might help things. It definatly doesn't sound like an EMG though (IMO).

The Evo isn't that much looser. It's hotter and clearer IMO.

• Members

I had a blaze custom in my RG7CST (mahogany body, maple neck bolt on) and it was very sterile and scooped, though it definatly wasn't muddy. Infact it cut a bit too much.

The evo7 is a lot looser then the blaze bridge, blaze custom, and DS7. It isn't as loose as the standard crappy IBZ pickups though.

The evo7 is my favorite bridge pickup.

Maybe the 7 string versions are voiced different? I don't have any experience with the 6 string versions.

-W

• Members

Strange, Dimarzios website gives the Blaze Custom the same mid rating as the evo.

Exactly. I think these guys are thinking of the original Blaze.

I've got the 6-string version of the original blaze. I'll admit that it is quite hi-fi and scooped sounding. Though the 6-string version is tight for me. I never liked stock blaze pickups.

Evo7 is where it's at... well for Dimarzio. Personally I'd go Lundgren :p

• Members

I think it really depends on what you want to do with the pickups...I dont find either the evo7 or the blaze custom 7 great for metal rhythms, I think they sound great for leads...go figure - steve vai doesnt do a lot of chugga chugga...I notice quite a bit of mids in my blaze 7, much more than my 81-7

Archived