Anyone here play drums? Then answer my questions about it!

blargh

• Members

I want to learn to play drums. It seems like fun, and I'm tired of dealing with drummers. So...

-Is this idea doomed from the start? I'm past the age where new skills come easy :(

-What's a good beginner drumkit? I don't want one where the bass drum sounds like a gong and it falls apart after I hit it a few times, but I don't want to pay more than $700-$800 or so either...

-Are those electronic drum kits any good? I think the cops will be knocking at my door if I try to play acoustic drums in my house...

-Am I going to have to find a teacher, or is it something you can learn yourself? What's a good resource for beginner knowledge?

• Members

The Art of Drumming - buy that book, most teachers teach from it that I've came across.

Electronic kits don't sound or more importantly feel like a real kit, they are okay for a bit of practice, but getting good on one of them doesn't mean you will be able to play an acoustic kit anywhere near the same level.

• Members

I'm self taught on drums. It just takes practice. Learn a few simple songs and you'll get the timing down pretty quick. Luckily, there's not too much off the wall stuff you probably wouldn't figure out for yourself over time if you never heard of it, like sweep picking or whatever.

Just get whatever you can find cheap. The type of heads and how they're tuned is the most important part of the sound, kind of like the EQ for drums. Tuning drums is practically a whole art unto itself. You don't really have to worry about them sounding bad. The thing you need to look out for is cheap hardware. Some stuff is flimsy and just falls apart.

If volume is really an issue, you may as well just get electronic drums, though. Drums are farkin' loud and there's not really much you can do about it.

• Members

I have a few kits but at the moment I generally play my electric kit the most as volume is an issue, its still fun and for the most part the sounds you can get are pretty good, buy something used though if you don't want to spend tons of loot, I saw a decent electric Kit go for 350 in the for sale forum on here. If you can manage to get something without rubber drum triggers you will be alot closer to being able to actually play a kit.

• Members

the only rough thing youll have to work at when you first start (given you have natural timing) is hitting the hi-hat in time and on que with the bass and snare. Because its kinda akward at first. your right hand hits the hi-hats, left hand hits the snare. And to keep a beat while hitting the hi-hat will take minimal work. Its one of the only thing you wont be able to do right out of the gate. otherwise, i started out as a drummer in 3rd grade. been playing a full kit since 4th. Thats quite a few years i guess. And theres nothing like a greatly tuned set of drums, and playing them in an acoustically fit room. Especially bass drum.

I started out with a pearl forum series, the {censored}tiest of the pearl line, and they lasted me all the way up until i was a junior in highschool (roughly about 8 years) and i put some serious miles on those drums between playing them daily, at parties, etc etc. Then one day the bass drum leg decided to break off, but i got wayyyyyyy more out of em than what they cost me.

Screw the books and all that dumbass stuff. Waste of money. drums are really a thing you can teach yourself. I suggest picking up a headband, a set of REALLY good sealed headphones, and your favorite bands. Put the headphones on, headband over the headphones (to keep the drum sound minimal) and just play along. thats what i did. within a few months i was fine.:thu:

• Members

Guitarists make absolutely horrible drummers. I've yet to hear a guitarist turned drummer who understood that sitting back in the pocket and holding down the beat was more important then overplaying. Perhaps someone does exist, but is still locked in his parents basement.

-W

• Members

I agree with the guy who said to buy cd's and learn from those. The only thing you might get out of lessons is hand and foot technique, but those can be learned by looking around on the net and implementing those ideas into your playing. I was originally a drummer (still am) that started playing guitar because I couldn't convey my ideas very well without the ability to play. Now, I actually like playing guitar better than I do drums.

• Members

I'v been playing drums (self-taught) for the last few years. I'v still got lightyears to go until I can play alot of different styles, etc. but I don't think I'm too bad. All of the Splawn songclips on my soundclick page are ones I also played the drums on:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=131229

I also like electronic drumkits, especially for recordings, etc. I would never get a real drumkit unless I had a soundproof basement or something.

Archived