OT: What game(s) are you playing?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SW:TOR and Skyrim are the two most recently played on my system.

I started with the old school RPGs like Phantasy Star I-IV and then to the PC for games like Fountain of Dreams and Escape From Hell and finally Fallout. I've been in love ever since and anything Fallout is fine by me (except Tactics, which really was only a strategy game in a Fallout wrapper) but I also have a great fondness for the Elder Scrolls series. I've played, enjoyed, and finished Two Worlds I&II and The Witcher I&II, as well.

• Members

Not a huge gamer but for some reason I went whole-hog nuts for Fallout 3 & Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion & Skyrim.

Tried Mass Effect, Rage and a couple others...Meh. No joy. :/

Guess I only like the open-ended immersive stuff....

• Members
I challenge anyone to find controllers that sucked as badly as the Intellivision ones! Gawd those were awful, my hands would cramp for days after a session on that thing.

The Atari Jaguar controller was quite dreadful to hold:

jaguar.jpg

I also remember a buddy of mine had this ridiculously huge Nintendo 64 controller. He called it the "controller of shame" and whoever placed last playing Goldeneye, Mario Kart or Smash Bros. would have to use it the next game.

71DF5AJCQ0L__SL500_AA280_.jpg

• Members

I remember playing team fortress in the late 90s. it was so funny being a medic. do people still play it , i mean the official online games ? are there plenty people hosting public games?

I don't know about Team Fortress Classic but TF2's still going strong. I've never played classic, myself, but TF2's an absolute hoot - hands down the funniest game I've ever played, and yet it still remains very tactical, etc...

• Members
Pitfall was cruel. I think it might be one of those I tried on MAME and still couldn;t finish it even with cheats on.

Ghosts & Goblins was the same.

I remember the first time I ever beat Ghosts n Goblins on the NES back in the day. I got so excited, I threw my controller and it smashed against the bedpost. I ended up having to replace that controller, but it was completely worth it. That game is seriously hard, probably one of the hardest games of all time, even to this day.

I still play WoW. I bet I'm the lamest gamer on these boards. :(

• Members

I remember the first time I ever beat Ghosts n Goblins on the NES back in the day. I got so excited, I threw my controller and it smashed against the bedpost. I ended up having to replace that controller, but it was completely worth it. That game is seriously hard, probably one of the hardest games of all time, even to this day.

Yes, I have similar experiences with Ghost and Goblins series. Its sequel for Super Nintendo was so ridiculously difficult, that it made you laugh, not in joy though, but madness!

• Members
What's funny is that when you made it to the end, you had to beat it a second time in one sitting order to get the real ending. The game is like some cruel, practical joke.

it would also send you part way back if you beat it with the wrong weapon selected, then you had to finish it again just to get the fake ending :mad: i think even with cheats that was where I stopped before the computer got a flying lesson.

• Members
What's funny is that when you made it to the end, you had to beat it a
second
time in one sitting order to get the real ending. The game is like some cruel, practical joke.

Yes!!! That was the worst surprise ever, and if I remember correctly, it was even harder for the second time and I had the japanese version too, that I think was yet more difficult. Its still like a Vietnam flashback; you wake up in the middle of the night in sweat and screaming.
27233298-77a2-4b67-9889-3525742d663d.jpg
CAPCOOM!!! CAPCOOM!!!

A couple of years ago, I tried to face some of the demons of my youth in the safety of emulators save/load easiness, but I couldn't finnish the last boss even once!!! I used too much time during the level, and in the boss it soon became obvious, that even absolutely perfect performance wasn't enough, the time would run out no matter what I did. And I still have my cat like reflexes and have maintained reaction times to beat my kids in Smash Bros. I wanted to shoot the emulator, "I'm not old yet! You made me save into wrong slot!!!"
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyqGFXjqS2e02KDZFJPN2

That wasn't the best, or at least the most pleasant example, but I miss the times, when playing through the game felt like an achievement. Novadays the games seem to be playing through themselves and theres all kinds of auxiliary achievements in place to help filling that empty feeling.

• Members

There's some newer games that certainly revive that feeling of old school frustration. Three of my recent favorites have been Contra Rebirth and Mega Man 9 & 10, all of which are availble on the next gen systems' download service. I've played and beaten a handful of older games from these two series, so I can say from experience that they really ramped up the frustration level on these.

But still... nothing holds a candle to Super Ghouls and Ghosts when it comes to hard core gaming. Even as a kid, when my only obligations on the weekends were to mow the lawn and wash the dishes, I still didn't have the level of patience and focus it takes to beat the game even once.

This guy must have been the Zen Master:

Archived