OCD or BAD MONKEY?

peppe6v6

• Members

I would like to overdrive my Ceriatone Superbass tryng to preserving as much as possible its tone, I have a Xotic BBpreamp and if I love it as a booster I don't like it as overdrive, too hard sounding.

Considering that I can't boost my amp becouse it becomes too loud and my armchair starts to resonate and quake in a bad way, I have decided to get an overdrive to get more saturation.

Which of these two (or other) do you suggest me?

• Members

Most people that use overdrives use them as boosts, so it'll basically do the same thing as your boost pedal...but unfortunatly it'll colour the tone a bit more than a clean boost.

As far as your amp being too loud with your boost, that doesn't really make sense to me, especially considering there's a volume knob on your amp, hehe. Sorry.

You have your boost between the guitar and amp right? Not in the loop...If it's in the loop all it will do is raise the volume. In front is where you want it.

I like the bad monkey. It's cheap too.

• Members

Most people that use overdrives use them as boosts, so it'll basically do the same thing as your boost pedal...but unfortunatly it'll colour the tone a bit more than a clean boost.

As far as your amp being too loud with your boost, that doesn't really make sense to me, especially considering there's a volume knob on your amp, hehe. Sorry.

You have your boost between the guitar and amp right? Not in the loop...If it's in the loop all it will do is raise the volume. In front is where you want it.

I like the bad monkey. It's cheap too.

Let my explain:

Clean boost adds volume and so a crancked amp distorts more, but you have also more volume.

An overdrive adds saturation but you can dial to have the same volume using the level control.

• Members

Let my explain:

Clean boost add volume and so a crancked amp distorts more, but you have also more volume.

An overdrive add saturation but you can dial to have the same volume using the level control.

Let me explain, haha:

An overdrive pedal is typically used with the drive control low and the level control cranked, into an already overdriven amp, and basically does the same thing as a clean boost. Doing this doesn't really add volume, it just makes the pre-amp clip harder. If you're playing into a clean amp it'll add some volume, but not too much.

A clean boost acts in the same way, but without the added clipping/drive circuitry.

If you want to use an overdrive as a dirt pedal into a clean channel, go for it. But amp distortion sounds way better to me.

• Members

Check out www.Indyguitarist.com - the plextortion pedal has some wonderful tones without colouring the sound too much.

I like the BM (I have 2) but it colours the tone a lot and introduces a lot of mids plus a certain boxiness. It does a really good rhythm crunch tone and a boost for leads, but isn't particularly transparent.

• Members

Doing this doesn't really add volume, it just makes the pre-amp clip harder. .

An overdrive with the level on 10 and drive on 0 ius most definitely going to add volume. Maybe not as much as a true clean boost but it will.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like this guy isnt boosting a clean channel, he's got his Superbass overdriving already and wants to kick it up notch in the saturation department. :)

What you dont understand Peppe, is the higher you turn that drive knob, the more its going to sound like ass. Thats why people typically keep the drive at 0.

With my Superbass my favorite OD's are the SD-1 and OD808. But if you are running your Superbass really clean, I would actually suggest an OCD because those have tons of gain, and still sound very natural when you turn the gain knob up. Meaning it doesnt sound solid state, but rather organic and natural like a cranked up Marshall.

• Members

An overdrive with the level on 10 and drive on 0 ius most definitely going to add volume. Maybe not as much as a true clean boost but it will.

I don't know how you set your amps, but for me those settings don't add any volume when the pedal is in front. Doesn't matter what pedal it is. All it does is add extra gain, like giving the gain knob on the amp an extra few notches, but it also cuts some low frequencies, making the bass response tighter.

My amps are already set with a good amount of gain though, and the boost is just basically the icing on the cake.

• Members

I don't know how you set your amps, but for me those settings don't add any volume when the pedal is in front. Doesn't matter what pedal it is. All it does is add extra gain, like giving the gain knob on the amp an extra few notches, but it also cuts some low frequencies, making the bass response tighter.

My amps are already set with a good amount of gain though, and the boost is just basically the icing on the cake.

Every amp Ive ever used an overdrive with adds volume. Maybe you just dont notice the increase. Its not like 15 db, more like 3 or 4...

• Members

The reason you don't have a volume increase is because the amp is compressing due to the 'good amount of gain' you've set. With an amp that is giving modest amounts of overdrive, boosting the front end will make for a volume increase - often quite a big increase if you're trying to slam the front end. I think this is the OPs problem.

• Members

I'll buy the Bad Monkey first (because of the price.) You could try the Hot Head too. Same basically as the Bad Monkey with more drive. If the Bad Monkey doesn't work out you can dup it on the bay. You will be only out $0-$15.

OCD and BM both great.

Oh yeah - To add to the confusion you could try a Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor.

• Members

The reason you don't have a volume increase is because the amp is compressing due to the 'good amount of gain' you've set. With an amp that is giving modest amounts of overdrive, boosting the front end will make for a volume increase - often quite a big increase if you're trying to slam the front end. I think this is the OPs problem.

+1 you have understood the problem!

• Members

the bad monkey imparts its own distinct grindy sound onto every amp i've used it with. it's a cool pedal, but if you're looking to preserve any amp's tone, i would avoid it.

Werd. Id like to point out that Im not a fan of the Bad Monkey either, however I tend to be pretty picky about the OD's I use in front of my Superbass...

Archived