Low watt, low volume, KILLER TONE.

diapsalmata

• Members

oops I just noticed it has a 0.5 W power amp...how does the switching work??

Separate cab out ??

I want one...........

I don't know how to say it. You can run it also without the poweramp feature. The Poweramp is just for the tube saturation if thats what you're after. If not, you 're just able to play without it if tube saturaion is not your thing.

Hard to explain but simple in use.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks - I went to the web site but could not get any info..

If I can clarify:

1. Can use it as a normal preamp with lead to normal guitar amp.

2. Can also use it to power a speaker cabinet for low volume practice?

Thanks

• Members

I have no clue how old the apartment is but the sound proofing is average at best. Since bunch of other students live in the same building I can possibly get away with a bit more volume than normal.

In any case I have the master very low and channel volume at about 6. This is right at the point where the amp kicks in, I suppose it'd be something like loud TV volumes. I find that this spot can be found on any amp, solid-state or tube. Beyond that point the amp sounds good but below it sounds thin and buzzy.

This is the first amp I've had where I feel that turning up the master volume doesn't yield a significantly better tone.

Thnx.

I suppose I could get away with a volume like a loud TV during the day.

Do you practice at night ? I do because I have to work most of the time during the day.

By night I mean after 22h.

I have a podxt (live) but I hate the different chords while playing with headphones.

I bought a wireless headphone (sennheiser rs120) but frankly it sucks.

And I can not get away without headphones apparantly. Got complaints with a Micro Cube :D

• Members

i've the same problem....and same budget, if i can help you, i'have listened the tiny terror, it has a good master volume if you like the tones which to me are pretty fizzy from low to high volume. The best to me is the zinky blue velvet: it plays more or less the same from low to high volume with wonderfull smooth tones. I cannot buy it:in italy it's 1700

• Members

Would the Orange Tiny Terror be any good for this?

No doubt it'll be easier to attain a good sound than with a 100W amp. 7/15W is still quite a lot though. It really depends on your definition of "low volume". Low volume to me is conversational levels, and I literally have the volume on 1/10 :). The Tiny Terror should get you some great breakup at band practice/small venue type levels at least.

• Members

Suggestions, anyone?

Unfortunately i'm moving into an apartment in the next few weeks and really want to get rid of my piece of {censored} Marshall MG.

To better suit not pissing off my neighbours/landlord, what's everyones favorite low-watt, relatively quiet, but-still-puts-out-killer-tone tube amp? Combo, head/small cab, whatever. I've got roughly 600-1000$ to spend, and would love a nice all-tube amp. Gain isn't really a problem, since i've got a couple of overdrive pedals, just an amp that can give me some juicy tone.

HEEEEEEEEELP.

Peavey Bravo - read the reviews!

• Members

I personally think the blues jr. sounds like ass, go with a used crate vc508 for 100 bux off ebay- peavey classic 30-but may be to loud. Peavey envoy sloid state cranks at low volumes-its solid state. The bravo is a nice amp too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Envoy-110-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481333

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crate-VC508-5-watt-tube-amp-VC-508-VC58_W0QQitemZ110116499704QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Thanks - I went to the web site but could not get any info..

If I can clarify:

1. Can use it as a normal preamp with lead to normal guitar amp.

2. Can also use it to power a speaker cabinet for low volume practice?

Thanks

Yes. Summs it up quite well and if you want the tube saturation, you push the "power-amp" button.

• Members

Thnx.

I suppose I could get away with a volume like a loud TV during the day.

Do you practice at night ? I do because I have to work most of the time during the day.

By night I mean after 22h.

I have a podxt (live) but I hate the different chords while playing with headphones.

I bought a wireless headphone (sennheiser rs120) but frankly it sucks.

And I can not get away without headphones apparantly. Got complaints with a Micro Cube
:D

At night I don't use the Diezel. I usually either play acoustic or through VST plugins like Guitar Rig. The tone on them sucks but it's better than nothing. Pretty good for bass though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Don't you hate all those cables ?

Sorry - just noticed...I sit in my lounge chair so the headphones are a problem like they would be if I was standing...I go into a Zoom MRS8 mini recorder which is also tuner +effects.

I can pretend I am with the family watching TV while I have enormous tone happening just for me...

• Members

Suggestions, anyone?

Unfortunately i'm moving into an apartment in the next few weeks and really want to get rid of my piece of {censored} Marshall MG.

To better suit not pissing off my neighbours/landlord, what's everyones favorite low-watt, relatively quiet, but-still-puts-out-killer-tone tube amp? Combo, head/small cab, whatever. I've got roughly 600-1000$ to spend, and would love a nice all-tube amp. Gain isn't really a problem, since i've got a couple of overdrive pedals, just an amp that can give me some juicy tone.

HEEEEEEEEELP.

Bumbox lead one.

• Members

My Doberman Hi-Octane is a beast:

hal9000Hi-OctaneHead.png

hal9000Hi-OctaneGuts.jpg

Clip: Demo by Doberman's Chris Hurley

IIRC, the Hi-Octane was designed by Randall Aiken and it is like a 5 W JCM 800 using a single EL-84. Unlike the current market of low power amps, it actually has a full tone stack, 4/8/16 Ohm output, with an impressive clean sound in the Vox realm and tight high gain. Plus, I've actually used this amp at practice for fun and it kept up with my drummer for distorted tones (you can forget about clean tones at that volume :)).

• Members

b-52 At-100 series sound good at low volume and they just put out a 1X12

combo.

worth looking into, I have the 2 X12 at-100 combo and I run it into a Marshall top and it sounds surprisingly very good (tung sols and JJ's are a must the stock tubes sounds like {censored}).

• Members

You did terminal strips?
:love:

That looks awesome, Hal. I've been meaning to build something from the AX84 site for a little while - I'll need to get around to it soon.

Thanks, but I didn't build this one. When Doberman was still building amps, I commissioned this one when I didn't have any spare time with the thought that I would build my own designs and use this amp and his construction as a reference. Of course, it sounds so good that I haven't wanted to mod it to my specs. :)

So, if I was building a Hi-Octane, it would be just like this because it's so easy to mod, plus it looks pretty. I'd probably add a true-bypass tube-buffered FX loop and an octal socket for an EL-34 as well for high volume moments of insanity.

Right now, I run it as part of a loaded-wet (my phrase) setup (Hi-Octane loaded with a Hot Plate, line out to a G-Major/SS PA/2x12 Cab) and I can use it like a JCM 800. I set it for breaking up tones, role back for clean (Voxy), and use a clean boost for high gain with volume to spare (150 W into 8 Ohms).

• Members

Thanks, but I didn't build this one. When Doberman was still building amps, I commissioned this one when I didn't have any spare time with the thought that I would build my own designs and use this amp and his construction as a reference. Of course, it sounds so good that I haven't wanted to mod it to my specs.
:)

So, if I was building a Hi-Octane, it would be just like this because it's so easy to mod, plus it looks pretty. I'd probably add a true-bypass tube-buffered FX loop and an octal socket for an EL-34 as well for high volume moments of insanity.

Right now, I run it as part of a loaded-wet (my phrase) setup (Hi-Octane loaded with a Hot Plate, line out to a G-Major/SS PA/2x12 Cab) and I can use it like a JCM 800. I set it for breaking up tones, role back for clean (Voxy), and use a clean boost for high gain with volume to spare (150 W into 8 Ohms).

I'm actually going to build one after my Marwatt is done, for that JCM800 tone. I'm going to build it with the octal output socket for some EL34 love.

I have to say, I admire terminal strips, but I definitely prefer turret boards when it comes to building - so much easier to load a board and drop it in than to properly plan a PTP layout. :thu:

• Members

Seems to me, if you're just playing in your apartment, and you need to control volume, you'd be better served by using what you have already, and saving the money, buy yourself another guitar. I wouldnt think the MG series has any issue with being too loud to use in an apartment, its a solid state piece of crap, but you can certainly control its volume fine.

• Members

Most tube amps really aren't apartment amps at all. Even a watt through a good 12" speaker will be pretty loud, and you won't get the typical "huge Marshall" tone out of that, more often than not.

I always recommend modeling for apartment use, because they model these amps with the power sections cooking, which is all but impossible in a home setting.

Archived