Just ordered a Sennheiser e609!

Kyle DiSanto

• Members

Should be here on mon/tuseday and I can't wait. I have been yearning to try annother mic out...I've noticed that no matter what I do, I can't get the 57 to sound how I want it to. I love how it adds the character to my sound, but I cant stand how it adds that certain low mid Freq.

I'm hoping between the e609, i5 and the 57 Ill be able to conjur up an even better tone than what I'm getting now!

So........Let's share some good mic positions!

• Members

Should be here on mon/tuseday and I can't wait. I have been yearning to try annother mic out...I've noticed that no matter what I do, I can't get the 57 to sound how I want it to. I love how it adds the character to my sound, but I cant stand how it adds that certain low mid Freq.

I'm hoping between the e609, i5 and the 57 Ill be able to conjur up an even better tone than what I'm getting now!

So........Let's share some good mic positions!

you might need a better mic pre.

• Members

Hey Guys... I know there are way better mics/pres/eqs etc.. out there...but I'm not looking for Super Professional level {censored}..cause I can just go to the Studio for that...this is basically for home use...to make good demos.

Yes I definitly need a better mic pre...that is actually on my next thing to buy. I'm just plugging straight into my Digi 002r.

I want to get something, preferable tube...but they can get quite costly...so Im looking into it. What do you guys recommend.

Mood Bender...do you know anything about that resistor mod for the 57? Id love to try it if you have any info. Thanks

K Man

• Members

I use a 57 and a Sennheiser e906...so much depends on your amp/speakers/guitar/EQ that there is no stock 'position' you have to listen, move and fish around for sweet spots. Good ears, decent headphones or an iso booth for your cabs is a MUST...

• Members
Mood Bender...do you know anything about that resistor mod for the 57? Id love to try it if you have any info. Thanks

K Man

yeah, here's a pic of mine. Seems I tried to create a load of about 500 ohms assuming a 1500 to 2000 ohm mic pre load, so looking at the pic it looks like 680 ohm resistor.

57_Load_Cable.jpg

• Members

try using a SP B1 or similiar condenser mic along with the 609 or the 57 - the B1 combined with either of those mics gives me a big, thick, fat tone when recording both at the same time as seperate tracks...........................

• Members

check out the clip "drop D jam" on this site, I used a 57 and a B1 for that clip.

Not bad at all. I can definitly hear the "hair" or high end detail if thats how one would describe it... coming from the condenser.

Personally, I find my self dialing out the condenser every time I record heavy guitars with it. So usually I'll just use a 2 mic combo.

Thanks Moon Bender...I'm gunna head down to Radio {censored} and try this mod out!

• Members

Well I tried a 560 OHM resistor on pins 2 and 3 today with the 57 cause radio shack didn't have 680 ohm resistors...I figured they were .99$ for 5 so what the hell.

Before I go into detail...If I did something really stupid...its because I am stupid :) lol

Anyways, I noticed that the 57 put out less output, however, it wasn't as bassy/low middy. The resistor seemed to cut some of these frequencies.

Didn't notice much of a change in its character (the bite and etc.) which is actually a good thing, because I love the 57's character, I just dont like its boxy sound.

• Members

I have compared several 57s and found some to sound significantly different. I have four 57s that are boxy. a friend has one that I have used on occasion that is not.

if you like the 57 character, which I do, you may want to take a look at a ATM650. it has become my goto mic. it's like a 57 and i5 mix. it's like a 57 but less boxiness with a tad more highend but smoother than the i5 and not quite as scooped.

• Members

I have compared several 57s and found some to sound significantly different. I have four 57s that are boxy. a friend has one that I have used on occasion that is not.

if you like the 57 character, which I do, you may want to take a look at a ATM650. it has become my goto mic. it's like a 57 and i5 mix. it's like a 57 but less boxiness with a tad more highend but smoother than the i5 and not quite as scooped.

THanks dude! I'll definitly check it out. And thanks for the mod info too!

• Members

the ATM650 seems not bad for 99.97! I might have to order one of those too :) depending on how the e609 works out...which I'm hoping I will like, cause then Im going to get a roadcase for my cab when I start giging again and just mount it in there!

Archived