OT: Anyone else dig titanium?

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

I`m a total titanium freak. I love it. I`m not a big jewelry fan, but everything I own is titanium. Except for my wedding band which is platinum.

Anyway, I`m looking to buy a new ring for my picking hand and wanted to get some black titanium. While looking around I came across this piece and just fell in love. Pattern welded titanium done with gray and black titanium. Freaking awesome.

This ring is totally metal. In more than one way.

Eric

titanium-rings_1945_3956279

• Members

I have reactions to pretty much any metal (the more nickel, the worse, but even stainless steel gets reactions) on my skin for any period of time. I haven't tried titanium, though. Guess that's something I'll have to try out.

• Members

I have reactions to pretty much any metal (the more nickel, the worse, but even stainless steel gets reactions) on my skin for any period of time. I haven't tried titanium, though. Guess that's something I'll have to try out.

Are you sure it`s a reaction to metal. It could be contact dermatitis. A lot of people get this because the ring or jewelry will hold water or soap against their skin after they wash their hands.

Titanium is totally hypo-allergenic. I`ve never heard of anyone having a reaction to it. It`s also a totally cool metal. It has the highest strength to weight ratio of any metal found on earth. NASA says that 75% of the space shuttle is made of titanium. It`s a fave of military EOD units because it`s totally nonmagnetic. EOD divers use it for probes and knives when working around magnetic triggered mines. It will not corrode naturally. There is a company called Mission Knives that does high end titanium knives for the high speed low drag crowd (Seals, Recon, Rangers, CIA, etc.). They have had one of their knives in a tank of salt water for years with no corrosion at all. It`s 45% lighter than steel alloys, but just as strong.

A freaking awesome metal.

Eric

• Members

Are you sure it`s a reaction to metal. It could be contact dermatitis. A lot of people get this because the ring or jewelry will hold water or soap against their skin after they wash their hands.

Eric

Nah, it's to the metal. Nickel in particular, but even things like the backs of watches can irritate my skin. However, stuff like leather, rubber (watch bands and such) are okay. But I can't wear anything metal...which is one of the main reasons I've not got any piercings.

• Members
My wedding band will be titanium.
:thu:

Does anyone else think BAZGUITARMAN is a titanium salesman?
:confused:

Dude, that made me laugh. Thanks. If you knew how much pain I have been in lately, you would know how much I appreciate it. :thu:

I wish I was a titanium sales rep. I don`t think I would have destroyed my shoulder doing that. :cry:

I just like titanium. I was actually shopping for a mother`s day gift for my wife when I came across that ring. I just bought her a titanium and pearl bracelet that is pretty sweet.

If you are interested in a titanium wedding band then check this site out. It is the best source of high end titanium jewelry on the net. The band that I`m looking at is an Edward Mirell design. Very sophisticated, but damn manly too.

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/

Check out their black titanium. It`s actually a propriatery process and not a coating. The actual metal is black about half way through and will never wear away.

Eric

edit: This is another ring that I am looking at. It uses a black titanium cable insert. Also bad ass. The black titanium cable stuff is awesome.

titanium-rings_1948_19983209

• Members

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there's no such thing as true black titanium. You cannot anodize titanium black; you can only coat it black. The finish will eventually wear off. There are other metals used for rings that are truly black. It's a cool ring nonetheless. It reminds me of Damascus steel.

• Members

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there's no such thing as true black titanium. You cannot anodize titanium black; you can only coat it black. The finish will eventually wear off. There are other metals used for rings that are truly black. It's a cool ring nonetheless. It reminds me of Damascus steel.

The black titanium I am refering to is not anodized and is not a coating. It`s true black titanium which is fairly new to the market and is still rather pricey.

Here`s a link to some info if you care to read it.

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-black-titanium.html

You are totally correct with the damascus comment though. That`s what that ring is, but rather than using steel it uses different grades of titanium.

Eric

• Members

The black titanium I am refering to is not anodized and is not a coating. It`s true black titanium which is fairly new to the market and is still rather pricey.

Here`s a link to some info if you care to read it.

You are totally correct with the damascus comment though. That`s what that ring is, but rather than using steel it uses different grades of titanium.

Eric

Yeah, I've been to that site before. Thing is, those rings are alloys, not pure titanium. Also, the finish isn't throughout the entire ring either. Still a very nice ring; but still isn't really black titanium.

• Members

Yeah, I've been to that site before. Thing is, those rings are alloys, not pure titanium. Also, the finish isn't throughout the entire ring either. Still a very nice ring; but still isn't really black titanium.

Yes, I understand what you are saying now. You are right in that sense. The black coloring is a result of a reaction that the alloying materials have with the titanium under heat and atmospheric conditions.

The truth is that all commercial grades of titanium are not pure. Even 6AL4V which is the aerospace grade of titanium is an alloy. All my jewelry is 6AL4V and is natural in finish except for one set of piercings that I have which are black PVD coated. Which is a modern electro-ceramic type coating. An interesting techinique which bonds a ceramic particle vapor with the titanium at a molecular level. I`ve found it to be very tough. I wear these piercings every day with no signs of wear. I`ve had them for a year I guess. But that`s neither here nor there.

I believe this black titanium that Edward Mirrel designs uses would last a lifetime if not longer with no signs of wear. I believe I will put it to the test this year.

Eric

• Members

Well, you actually are not 100% correct on the ability to have a black annodized titanium....You cannot annodize titanium to TiO2 and achieve a black finish, but there is a mixture of Ti4O7 and Ti5O9 (based off of Ti2O(2x-1)) known as ebonnex which is indeed black (its current use is not so much in jewlery but is being inspected for supports in batteries as well as fuel cells as it is a moderatly conducting oxide (about the same level of conductivity as graphite) that is relatively resistant to the conditions seen in those environments).

In the case of the true black or Ti-black as they are calling it on that website, that is actually not just a surface coating but is truly an alloy and I am guessing it is based off of a mixture of Ti with a small impurity of Lanthanum and cerium or perhaps ytterbium. If you would like I can actually find out sometime for you as my wedding band is the one featured in the upper right hand corner with the white gold borders and the next time I am doing some SEM work I can throw it in and get its composition from EDS (electron dispersive spectroscopy)

• Members

Well, you actually are not 100% correct on the ability to have a black annodized titanium....You cannot annodize titanium to TiO2 and achieve a black finish, but there is a mixture of Ti4O7 and Ti5O9 (based off of Ti2O(2x-1)) known as ebonnex which is indeed black (its current use is not so much in jewlery but is being inspected for supports in batteries as well as fuel cells as it is a moderatly conducting oxide (about the same level of conductivity as graphite) that is relatively resistant to the conditions seen in those environments).

In the case of the true black or Ti-black as they are calling it on that website, that is actually not just a surface coating but is truly an alloy and I am guessing it is based off of a mixture of Ti with a small impurity of Lanthanum and cerium or perhaps ytterbium. If you would like I can actually find out sometime for you as my wedding band is the one featured in the upper right hand corner with the white gold borders and the next time I am doing some SEM work I can throw it in and get its composition from EDS (electron dispersive spectroscopy)

O`k, you are way over my head right now. But I would love to hear your impression of the Ti-black alloy as you have some personal experience with it. I`ve done quite a bit of research into titanium, but it is at a more practical level.

From your experience, do you think the Mokume Gani technique will work well with these alloys of titanium. I am assuming that they use 6AL4V for the gray titanium allong with the Ti-Black alloy. The Mirrel design series is considered the pinnicle of titanium jewelry so I have some faith in their claims.

I personally would love to see what the results of the EDS would be. Feel free to PM me with any info or advice you have. I hope to buy this ring in the next two months and would love some feedback.

Eric

• Members

O`k, you are way over my head right now. But I would love to hear your impression of the Ti-black alloy as you have some personal experience with it. I`ve done quite a bit of research into titanium, but it is at a more practical level.

From your experience, do you think the Mokume Gani technique will work well with these alloys of titanium. I am assuming that they use 6AL4V for the gray titanium allong with the Ti-Black alloy. The Mirrel design series is considered the pinnicle of titanium jewelry so I have some faith in their claims.

I personally would love to see what the results of the EDS would be. Feel free to PM me with any info or advice you have. I hope to buy this ring in the next two months and would love some feedback.

Eric

I'm not familiar with the Mokume Gani technique, or actually any of the typical industrial/trade names for that matter:lol: I am about a year and a half from finishing my Ph.D in solid state chemistry so I am just approaching it from that perspective (and I happen to own one of these rings as it was my wedding band).

I briefly read their description on the website in which they state that the Ti-black is an alloy of titanium and some rare earths, so in terms of cost and electronic effects I would guess that it is based off of the elements of lanthanum, cerium, or maybe ytterbium, all of which are rare earth elements. The color of a material like this is going to be almost entirely dependant on the electronic environment...In this case, a disturbance in the expected electronic environment is causing the color (If pure Ti metal is expecting a certain number of electrons (in particular, 4 valence electrons), including some impurity with a differing number can drastically change the color (So by having Lanthanum with only 3 valence electrons, etc...)

Next time I have some work to do on the SEM I can do EDS analysis which gives a characteristic "spectrum" for the presence of particular elements, which would give me an idea of what the particular alloy is.

All science geek speak aside, I can say that I really dig my ring and it is very comfortable! No risk of fading/dealloying IMO:thu:

-Jesse

• Members

i would never wear a 6/4 ti ring... hospitals/paramedics can't cut them off if your finger gets swollen or injured. you hurt that finger, you lose that finger.

Exactly why I'd never wear a titanium ring. What happens if something as dumb as you slip and fall and break a finger?

You're {censored}ed, that's what.

Archived