Can I use this HotPlate with my Peaveyt Classic 50?

bubbleboyjones

• Members

Alright I bought a used 8ohms THD Hotplate on ebay and I did this when I didn't have my amp with me...so this is why I am in this situation

Anyway I read the Peavey manual wrong and it looks like the Peavey Classic 50 speaker output is plugged into the 16ohms setting for the 2 speakers

My question is can I use the 8ohms THD Hotplate still with my Peavey? There is a 8ohms setting which after doing some reading is usually used when using an external cab. Can I just plug the 8ohms output into the THD Hotplate? That would work right? As long as the amp output matches the Hotplate everything will be fine right? :cry:

Peavyclassic.JPG

• Members

That will work fine.

Plug the hotplate into the 8ohm output on the amp, and plug the output of the hotplate into a speaker(s) with 8ohms OR MORE.

The deep and high switch on the hotplate won't be as effective if you use it with a 16ohm speaker setup (as opposed to the 8ohm that it was designed for), but otherwise it will be fine.

• Members
You can only do it if you are using a 16 ohm extension cab along with the internal speaker.

I'm getting some conflicting answers here

V C said I can do it

You said I can't with the internal speakers. Why would if have to be a 16 ohm extension cab?

Just for clarification guys.... two 8 ohms speakers

50e3_3.JPG

• Members

wire the speakers into paralell and put a plug on the end of the speaker cables. Plug that end into the hotplate. On the other end, put a plug on the amp speaker input and plug that into the amp in of the hotplate.

• Members

since both are in your combo, use the 8 ohm setting. my combo has 2 16ohm speakers and i use a hotplate with that. now if you add a cab, you would have to use 4 ohm, right experts?

That wouldn't make any sense I don't have a 4 ohm.....by default its plugged into the 16 ohms...so the external cab for the stereo would be the 8ohms

• Members

V C said I can do it

You said I can't with the internal speakers. Why would if have to be a 16 ohm extension cab?

50e3_3.JPG

To do it correctly, you want to match all threes things. Tranny tap - attenuator - total speaker load. You can't do that right now with just the combo's speakers. In order to match to the attenuator, you would want to access the 8 ohm tap on the tranny and have an 8 ohm total speaker load. A 16 ohm extension cab, along with the 16 ohm internal speaker load will do that. And the 8 ohm tranny tap is accessed via the extension speaker jack.

• Members

V C said I can do it

50e3_3.JPG

TL is telling you the "correct" way. V C is telling you a way that is "acceptable". While using the hotplate the way V C explained isn't correct, it will work without much negative effect.

• Members

The setup will run fine using a 16ohm speaker load. It's a mismatch, but a safe one. As I said, the switches on the hotplate won't work as well, as they are tuned to a 8ohm load.

The only confusion I have is your amps speakers - do they terminate in a 1/4" jack which plugs into one of the outputs, or are they hardwired into the amp?

• Members

That amp isn't stereo.
:confused:

Sorry...I just meant when you use an external cab its 8ohms

v_c...This is what it says in the manual....looks like a 1/4" jack

Manual(which is horrible) says this: "Speaker output (1/4") jacks are provided for 16 and 8 ohms. When both jacks are engaged, amplifier independence is 8 ohms"

• Members

Sorry...I just meant when you use an external cab its 8ohms

v_c...This is what it says in the manual....looks like a 1/4" jack

Manual(which is horrible) says this: "Speaker output (1/4") jacks are provided for 16 and 8 ohms. When both jacks are engaged, amplifier independence is 8 ohms"

Nothing hard to follow there. You could do things correctly by swapping out the internal speakers for 16 ohm models and connect them in parallel. You would then use the extension speaker jack for the internal speakers.

• Members

Nothing hard to follow there. You could do things correctly by swapping out the internal speakers for 16 ohm models and connect them in parallel. You would then use the extension speaker jack for the internal speakers.

Now that is an option I might use. I am going to swap out my speakers soon(Blue Marvels Suck IMO) and I was looking to put in Greenbacks.

I don't have my amp in front of me.....but when you say "connect them in parallel" you mean each speaker would be connected separately and would run into the Hotplate speaker outputs 1 and 2?

• Members

Now that is an option I might use. I am going to swap out my speakers soon(Blue Marvels Suck IMO) and I was looking to put in Greenbacks.

I don't have my amp in front of me.....but when you say "connect them in parallel" you mean each speaker would be connected separately and would run into the Hotplate speaker outputs 1 and 2?

Nope. Just you basic parallel wiring method. Exactly what the word means. + from one speaker to + on the other. - from one speaker to - on the other.

• Members

Ah..Ok

after read some review on the internet about this I'm just going to try the 16 ohm instead

I also came across these quotes about using mimatched Ohms

I feed the output of the 8 ohms Hotplate to a 16 Ohm Marshall 1960TV (extra tall) basket weave grill cabinet, loaded with 25 watt greenbacks. Apparently, running a higher Ohm cab smooths the highs out a little bit, which is fine by me, I go for thick mids."

The Hot Plate is not a

Archived