October New Gear Thread!

mikelpanky

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
Funny, my work assigned me a very similar laptop. Unfortunately, hard drive contents are property of the company.

*just checked* Yep, that's the model.
It is a pretty nice laptop - not really optimized for audio but certainly adequate for messing around. Our computer and internet use policy is surprisingly liberal and can be summed up with some simple rules:

Don't do anything illegal
Don't do anything that might be construed to be harassment
Don't do anything that interferes with the business of the company or damages its reputation
Don't do anything that will harm company property and information (see previous rule)
Don't do anything that interferes with the ability to do your (or any employee's) job

It is all couched in legalese of course, but that is basically what it says. I think the company knows that when employees take their laptops home and the company has a reasonable electronic resources policy, the employees just don't just mess around with personal stuff. They log in to work and check emails, make some responses, maybe search on some data, connect to the corporate network so they can read an e-journal article via the library, whatever. In other words the company gets more work out of them for very little extra overhead!

This is also the point where having software installed on a hard drive and owning a license are two different things biggrin.gif I bought (with my own money) a 64GB SD card for the slot and put all my plugins and stuff on it. When the computer lease is up in 3 years I will just put the dummy card back in.

I made a thread here a long time ago where I asked about using a work laptop for making music during off times and ended up deciding not to do it then. Several years later I decided that is silly, especially since I am not off making any money or doing anything professionally related to music - just some hobby stuff.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
waldorf-blofeld-black.jpg

Was looking for a new toy as some retail therapy for my apparent onset of midlife crisis (see separate thread). Found this guy for $325 on local CL. Showed up to meet the guy and found out it was the black version. Had a Blofeld once before, not long after I had started in synth world, and was impressed but didn't really know what to do with it. I am very much looking forward to round 2 with one.

• Members

Well, the new gear parade for the month continues for me (see post above)...I started playing mandolin a while back. Got a good-for-the-price Kentucky KM 160 (more of an entry level model, but still had carved solid top, solid back and sides, no laminate). For no real reason was looking through the local CL this weekend and saw one of these at a local shop for a really good price used, but appears new:

lm520vs.jpg

It's a Loar LM 520. Finally cured my f-scroll envy. Also the construction just seems more solid and quality, and the high notes have a rounder, less plinky tone, while the lower notes have a little more woody tone.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tspit74 View Post
I love garage sales. Got everything pictured for 100 bucks:

SY77
Stand
Expression pedal
(2) sustain pedals
10 watt practice amp
Manuals
Box of floppy disks with patches
(2) heavy duty patch cables
1 MIDI cable

IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg

i used to have a sy77 back in the 90's great keyboard, also had a few cards for it....long gone now mind ya!..have fun with it!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy View Post
Livin' large at Casa de Puppy:

41y0loT30RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BAM!! Y'all can be jelly, now.
Congrats, Windows 7 is AWESOME. I've learned to appreciate a good OS for music production, and I can't say enough good things about Windows 7. It just doesn't get in the way. My Win 7 x64 computer runs very, very efficiently and has NEVER crashed or needed a restart. Sure, Reaper crashes now and then, but that's to be expected with all kinds of different plugins etc - it's probably unavoidable. I just restart Reaper and voila, back in business. I want to stay on Win 7 forever, I think. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

I did this so that I wouldn't be stuck in Vistaville when they release Win8, because I've got no desire to go Metro. That, and to prepare for a fresh Sonar update. Not a very exciting acquisition, to be sure. icon_lol.gif

Not very exciting, but sometimes the boring purchases are the most important ones. thumb.gif

• Members

Been a while since I made a "new gear" post, but this one is worth it.

Picked up a Bleep Labs HSS3jb. It's a video synth and it does a great job at that, however to my surprise, it is one of the most competent and flexible noise boxes I've ever used. So it makes amazing audio, triggers video from external sources, allows IR triggering, and it has midi control. Really sweet.

7798882050_411dc8a7e1.jpg

7798884772_f127e0dca7.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Allerian

View Post

Picked up a Bleep Labs HSS3jb. It's a video synth and it does a great job at that, however to my surprise, it is one of the most competent and flexible noise boxes I've ever used. So it makes amazing audio, triggers video from external sources, allows IR triggering, and it has midi control. Really sweet.

those things are awesome you just reminded me to get one soon lol

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by U&I View Post
Loved the Monomachine SFX60+ MkII UW that i scored a second hand Machinedrum SPS1-UW in damn near mint condition with the TM-1 USB Midi interface for $800 love.gif

MachDrumUWp-xlarge.jpg
Wow, nice. I never gelled with the sound personally, but those things are endless pits of fun. Got the Octatrack for my hardware sampling drum machine fix.

Archived