I know it's a dead horse, but i really can't decide...

bluesboy

• Members

I have been researching, and thinking, and doucbting, and rethinking, for weeks now... I can't decide which pickups to put in my LP vintage mahogany. I dont really like the burstbucker pros for the following reasons:

the neck pickup is a bit muddy and lacks treble. it is not so articulate

the bridege pickup I like better, has clarity, lacks bass response.

I was thinking about the JB/Jazz combo, but am worried that they will sound too thin.

I was thinking of the Custom SH-5/ 59 combo, but dont know if the 59 will be any different from the BB pro I currently have in the neck, and I have no experience with the SD custom.

I thought about GFS, but have had bad luck with their humbuckers.

ANY IDEAS? PLease help me decide!

I play a mix of classic rock and heavy modernish rock, like say buckcherry, stone temple pilots, velvet revolver, lynyrd skynryd.

My main amp is the VOX AC15 CC1.

EDIT: I also was seriously considering Alnico II pro's, but I heard they are just like Classic 57's, which I didn't really like because I thought they sounded sterile in a previous LP studio I had

• Members

Doesn't duncan offer an echange for any of their pickups if you don't like the ones you bought? Even if they don't, just don't cut the leads to short and you can resell them.

There are some things that just can't be solved by analyzing/advice. You just have to bite the bullet and try something out. If it doesn't work out, at least you have more information with which to guide your future choices.

Good luck :thu:

• Members

Rio Grande BBQ's or even the BareKnuckles.

Bareknuckles looked very interesting to me, but they are expensive and I have no idea where to buy them. I looked on ebay and there was only one set and they weren't what I was interested in.

as far as rio rande BBQ's, I guess im looking for edge and clarity more so than warmth

• Members

Bareknuckles looked very interesting to me, but they are expensive and I have no idea where to buy them. I looked on ebay and there was only one set and they weren't what I was interested in.

as far as rio rande BBQ's, I guess im looking for edge and clarity more so than warmth

I have the BBQ in a LP Classic and it has warmth, edge and clarity. Best pup for a LP I've ever used.

• Members

Your guitar doesn't have a maple cap, so you might not want to throw a Custom in it.

A like the Distortion/Jazz set a lot, since it is clear and tight. If you need a little less output at the bridge, try a 59 bridge or Alnico II pro.

• Members

Your guitar doesn't have a maple cap, so you might not want to throw a Custom in it.

A like the Distortion/Jazz set a lot, since it is clear and tight. If you need a little less output at the bridge, try a 59 bridge or Alnico II pro.

that's another point i dont think i mentioned... there seems to be a big difference in volume bewtween my bridge and neck pickup...

so possibly a Jazz-neck and 59-bridge. i like that suggestion

• Members

that's another point i dont think i mentioned... there seems to be a big difference in volume bewtween my bridge and neck pickup...

All guitars are louder in the neck position because the strings vibrate more there. The close you get to the bridge, the less the string moves so it gets quieter. That's why people typically use lower output pickups at the neck compared to the bridge.

• Members

Sure, I'm all for collecting opinions to help make a better choice, but you've already been mulling it over for weeks and it sounds like you've already gotten several opinions. There's a point where more opinions aren't gonna do anything and you just gotta jump in. You're just buying pickups, not making a life or death decision.
;):wave:

true, it is not life and death. however, as soon as i put those pickups into my guitar, even if only for a brief period, they are "used" and i will lose money on them when i resell. I've already wasted enough money buying stuff on whims.

Additionally, im very busy at work, like 10-12 hour days, and I like to spend the weekends with my girlfriend, not swapping pickups all day. so im trying to gather as much info as possible beforehand. that is all.

EDIT: my bridge pickup is louder, not the neck

• Members

I would say try a Jazz neck and a 59 in the bridge:

Jazz is one of the most articulate neck pickups. If yours is muddy, this will help.

The 59 has quite a bit of bass and good enough clarity. If you find it's not clear enough, a Custom 5 would have a lot more clarity and more scooped. If it's too bassy and not high gain enough, a JB would have tons of gain and articulate mids (like a V30). Or you can go balls out and get a C5/59 hybrid for a full-range higher output pickup with some nuts or a C5/JB hybrid for a full-range high gain pickup with a lot of balls.

• Members

true, it is not life and death. however, as soon as i put those pickups into my guitar, even if only for a brief period, they are "used" and i will lose money on them when i resell. I've already wasted enough money buying stuff on whims.

Additionally, im very busy at work, like 10-12 hour days, and I like to spend the weekends with my girlfriend, not swapping pickups all day. so im trying to gather as much info as possible beforehand. that is all.

Alright, I don't mean to argue with you. If you're still getting good help thats cool, it just sounded like you were frustrated from over analyzing and I just wanted to give you a little push, but maybe I was mistaken.

EDIT: my bridge pickup is louder, not the neck

Well that's weird :confused:

Apparently I need to up my 5 min rule to 10 minutes, I'm too slow with my edits. Or maybe think a little more before hitting the submit button :o

• Members

Alright, I don't mean to argue with you. If you're still getting good help thats cool, it just sounded like you were frustrated from over analyzing and I just wanted to give you a little push, but maybe I was mistaken.

no problem at all... anyways, I kind of took your advice anyways and just went ahead and pulled the trigger. I ended up buying the SD "hotrodded" set which is basically a JB and Jazz in one package. Brand new, $130 shipped is a good deal in my book. this pickup combo is so popular, ill give it another try. if i dont like it, ill cry :cry:

just kidding :D

• Members

no problem at all... anyways, I kind of took your advice anyways and just went ahead and pulled the trigger. I ended up buying the SD "hotrodded" set which is basically a JB and Jazz in one package. Brand new, $130 shipped is a good deal in my book. this pickup combo is so popular, ill give it another try. if i dont like it, ill cry
:cry:

just kidding
:D

:thu::D Yep, seems to be a popular combo. I think I need to try a Jazz in the neck, everything I've tried in my ibanez sounds muddy.

BTW:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faqdescr.shtml#exchange

What is your exchange policy?

Seymour Duncan / Basslines offers our 21 Day Real World Exchange Policy on all new pickups purchased in the U.S. and some other participating countries, which states the following:

If for any reason you're not satisfied with the pickup's sound or construction, return it and your receipt to your dealer, or direct to the factory within 21 days for exchange with another pickups of equal or lesser value.

If you want to exchange the pickups directly with us, please call 805-964-9610 between 8-5 Monday-Friday (Pacific Time) to receive a Return Authorization (R.A.) number.

• Members

hmmm. i was thinking about those too... lol. I like the 490 in the neck, but wasn't always happy with the 498T.

they were in the previous LP studios ive owned

I love the 490 in the neck of mine. IMO, it sounds better than the BB Pro that it replaced.

For the bridge of mine....I went with an EMG 81.

Not so much for the gain, which would sound great with that Vox (I just recently got rid of an AC30).....but for the clarity, and tight low end response.

The only other passive bridge pickup I've tried in mine was the Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon. To me, it sounds like a beefed up PAF. Good clarity in the mids and highs, and a much better low end punch than the BB Pro.

Just a couple suggestions.

Good luck.

• Members

I run an Alnico II Pro in the neck (really sweet and clear, not harsh or boomy) and a Distortion in the bridge. I hate the name of the Distortion, but it is an awesome pickup, and compliment to the neck. Perfect balance between the two. I've swapped tons of pickups, and these are currently not going anywhere.

• Members

EDIT: in response to Warren Haynes pickups:

possibly seth lovers? I have these in my Epi LP standard, and I love them. I didn't want to get them again though, because I like my guitars to be more versatile

Archived