Taking Recommendations on Rack Multi-effects Unit

selfinflikted

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted

View Post

ALSO keep in mind the chances of me getting to play either of these in person before purchasing are slim to none. frown.gif

Then you'll have to listen to tons of demos. I'm afraid to make a suggestion because the character of the Vox and the Yamaha is quite different. I guess if I were to buy only one it would be the Vox because it's more knobby and has the modulation pedal and just has more tweaking options. But since I already have tube amps and pedals (including two flavors of wah), I think I might end up getting me the Yamaha THR5 just for an extra recording option. The Yamaha sound is right up my alley, it just *rocks* in all the right places. But the Vox also sounds good and is more versatile and has a more refined sound.

See:

Remember also that Vox has a combo version that has all the sound and functionality of the Tonelab EX pedal (minus the expression pedal of course) in the form of the VT20+ combo which costs 170 dollars, which is significantly less.

Ok so both will still sound digital to an extent, but not so much that they'll be unplayable. I think the Vox has a more Fender and Vox (duh) feel while the Yamaha does the hot-rodded Marshall thing best.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock

View Post

Then you'll have to listen to tons of demos. I'm afraid to make a suggestion because the character of the Vox and the Yamaha is quite different. I guess if I were to buy only one it would be the Vox because it's more knobby and has the modulation pedal and just has more tweaking options. But since I already have tube amps and pedals (including two flavors of wah), I think I might end up getting me the Yamaha THR5 just for an extra recording option. The Yamaha sound is right up my alley, it just *rocks* in all the right places. But the Vox also sounds good and is more versatile and has a more refined sound.

Remember also that Vox has a combo version that has all the sound and functionality of the Tonelab EX pedal (minus the expression pedal of course) in the form of the VT20+ combo which costs 170 dollars, which is significantly less.

Ok so both will still sound digital to an extent, but not so much that they'll be unplayable. I think the Vox has a more Fender and Vox (duh) feel while the Yamaha does the hot-rodded Marshall thing best.

Wow, CR, you aren't making this decision any easier! :p Now I'm even more uncertain. It's kinda funny though, at the start of this thread I was just looking for a simple yet nice-sounding multi-effects rack. Now I feel like I'm more interested in nailing a nice guitar sound with some effects options.

I will listen to tons of demos, as suggested. It's really the only thing I can base my decision on since playing with the gear firsthand is almost completely out of the question unless one of the boutiques here happens to have something in stock. The ONLY other alternative here is the local Guitar Center whose keys section is SORELY lacking...but they do have a robust guitar section, so I suppose it's possible that they may have one of these to try out. I'll just have to suck it up and go to GC at some point, even though it pains me to even entertain the notion. Man, I really hate that place. The staff and sales people are completely clueless about everything (yea, it's a local thing I'm sure).

• Members

No, GCs have been consistently bad wherever I've been... Sam Ash is slightly better though. I don't know if you have on near you. Even their keyboard section is MUCH better.

I'll tell you one thing, it's kind of hard to find actual good demos of the Vox. I don't know why. Yamaha seems to put a lot more effort into getting decent demos of their stuff out there. That's why I put this demo with the annoying kid in the background - it's actually got a good guitar player and a good guitar and good sounds. It does show a lot of what the Vox is capable of. A lot of demos don't.

• Members

Well, the sound quality in the second vid demo'ing the VOX is poop. Can't tell anything from that, really. The first vid was good, though, and the Yammy actually does sound like a tube amp. I hate the guy only demo'd 'old school' stuff on it though, would love to hear something more contemporary. In fact, I shall go hunt more vids now.

• Members

Hurray! The forums actually loaded for me today! /cheer

Quote Originally Posted by The Audacity Works

View Post

The Vox, Boss, and Digitech boxes weren't in the same league as POD HD, at least to our ears...

Anyway, I'm starting to feel this way as well. I have listened to several demos of everything suggested in this thread, pretty much, and I think the POD HD sounds better to my ears as well (of course some of the demos, especially the VOX ones, were really bad quality, but luckily the POD HD demos were mostly very good). I think I have made my decision, and the winner at this point is indeed the POD.

• Members

View Post

There's people who like the Boss guitar processors... but their sound is just so 80s... at least to me.

The boss pedals and effects just don't seem to be in the same ballpark as many of the other big name stomps. They just sound cheap to me. But again, this is all subjective. What sounds good to me may not sound good to the next person.

• Members

I'm not a guitarist (or even a real musician for that matter) but a few years back I bought a Digitech RP250 for my guitarist buddies so they could jam around in my home studio with me. Much easier to control volume and inject directly in the mix than lugging their amps. All three of them seemed very impressed with unit and one actually ended up buying it from me he loved it so much. Although at first listen it's not all that great sounding. You really have to get in there and pretty much reprogram all the presets with distortion, which is very easy using the nice software editor. Once you ease off the distortion a bit we all agreed it sounded quite warm and natural.

I thought it was a great product and if I ever buy another guitar multi-effects unit, I'll definitely be looking hard at what Digitech has to offer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by plaid_emu

View Post

I'm not a guitarist (or even a real musician for that matter) but a few years back I bought a Digitech RP250 for my guitarist buddies so they could jam around in my home studio with me. Much easier to control volume and inject directly in the mix than lugging their amps. All three of them seemed very impressed with unit and one actually ended up buying it from me he loved it so much. Although at first listen it's not all that great sounding. You really have to get in there and pretty much reprogram all the presets with distortion, which is very easy using the nice software editor. Once you ease off the distortion a bit we all agreed it sounded quite warm and natural.

I thought it was a great product and if I ever buy another guitar multi-effects unit, I'll definitely be looking hard at what Digitech has to offer.

Have you heard anything other than Digitech stuff? Digitech wasn't even on my radar.

• Members

View Post

Hurray! The forums actually loaded for me today! /cheer

Anyway, I'm starting to feel this way as well. I have listened to several demos of everything suggested in this thread, pretty much, and I think the POD HD sounds better to my ears as well (of course some of the demos, especially the VOX ones, were really bad quality, but luckily the POD HD demos were mostly very good). I think I have made my decision, and the winner at this point is indeed the POD.

Yeah but now you're going up in the price range and you might as well get a real tube amp in the used market wave.gif

Anyway, I'm sure the POD HD will be fine.

• Members

View Post

Yeah but now you're going up in the price range and you might as well get a real tube amp in the used market wave.gif

I know, right? It's just that... the POD HD can do SO much and it's so cheap!

As an aside, Christian, there's a lady selling an Epiphone Thunderbird IV bass guitar on the office-wide "ebay" thing where my significant other works. She is asking $280 (which is ridiculous, considering brand new ones are only $10 more)... do you think an offer of $200.00 is a fair offer? I have always wanted a thunderbird body style, and as it turns out, I do particularly like the Epiphone bass tones (my 5 string is an epiphone).

• Members

Offer 150. Seriously. If it sells new for 289, that's the max you should pay for it.

Then after she says no, wait a couple of weeks or a month, and offer 150 again. She will probably take it, because she will remember you're the only one that even made an offer - everybody else got scared away by her high asking price.

How do you think I bought an SH-201 for 200 dollars and an Ibanez RGT42 neck-through guitar for 160? smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Offer 150. Seriously. If it sells new for 289, that's the max you should pay for it.

Well, only reason I asked about $200 is because it is mint. I've seen pics and all, BUT it's actually her husband/boyfriend/whatever that's selling it. She's just the middle lady. But, I shall take your advice. (small Orange practice amp and soft-shell case included, I forgot to mention)

View Post

How do you think I bought an SH-201 for 200 dollars and an Ibanez RGT42 neck-through guitar for 160? smile.gif

evil.gif Cuz yer a BEAST. evil.gif

• Members

View Post

Well don't forget to print out an ad saying how much it sells for new. If it's as mint as you're saying you might be good offering 200.

Yea, maybe (and, I did email her a link to Sweetwater.com showing the retail price new). It's just that this has come up at a time when I'm supposed to be buying other gears, least of all a bass guitar (how many do I have now? TOO many)... I think it's just been so long since I got something new, that I'm kinda jonesing for a fix. Last thing I bought, I think, was that SH-201 you talked me into. I'm pretty sure that was just before xmas last year.

• Members

Well if you have too many basses and you like this one better than something you got, buy it and sell one smile.gif That's what I'm doing to avoid bloating of the studio - if I buy something, I have to sell something similar, unless it's something I don't have. Now I bought an Alesis Fusion, so that means the Roland A-90 will have to go, as soon as I have it all checked by a shop. I already changed the battery and did a system reset on it so it will be ready to go soon...

There are exceptions, of course. My 20 dollar DW-8000 came in without sending anything out smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Yea, maybe (and, I did email her a link to Sweetwater.com showing the retail price new). It's just that this has come up at a time when I'm supposed to be buying other gears, least of all a bass guitar (how many do I have now? TOO many)... I think it's just been so long since I got something new, that I'm kinda jonesing for a fix. Last thing I bought, I think, was that SH-201 you talked me into. I'm pretty sure that was just before xmas last year.

Don't forget that Black Friday is right around the corner, good for an extra 15%.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic

View Post

Don't forget that Black Friday is right around the corner, good for an extra 15%.

This is true. I will probably get the POD then. I'm passing on the bass guitar, though - the chick emailed me back and said her husband will take no less than $225. Silly people.

• Members

I have one multi-effects unit - Roland VG-99. Rumors are that it's actually two Boss GT-Pros stuffed into one box, with the synthesis stuff, guitar modeling, etc. on top. The factory presets are terrible, though, so some tweaking has to be done to get usable sounds. My biggest concern with any multi-effects device is how quickly I can get to a parameter to tweak something - fortunately, the VG-99's UI lets me get around fairly quickly. This part of my post is in answer to "what do you guys use?" though, rather than a recommendation, because it's only worth it if you can find one cheap, or if you plan to install a GK pickup on your guitar.

For my Voyager, I'm researching options for a delay/reverb rather than multi-effects (this is another "what are you guys using/potentially using" type response). I'm leaning towards the Strymon El Capistan, which is a virtual tape delay + spring reverb pedal.

Archived