Taking Recommendations on Rack Multi-effects Unit

selfinflikted

• Members

I owned both the MX200 and MX400. They're both great sounding units for the money. I don't think they sounded metallic at all to my ears. Seem pretty well built. My biggest gripe was the lack of diversity in the algorithms. If you're only looking for the standards they're just fine. I just wanted something that could do some harmonizing/vocal distortions/etc.

Now, if you want a decent and versatile value in an effects rack, check out the Behringer FX2000 (previously the DSP-2024P). Sure the verbs aren't as nice as the Lexicon or Eventide, but there's some impressive modulation/distortion/harmonizing effects in that unit.

Maybe you need an MX200 and an FX2000 combo to round things out. I used that setup for a few years and had lots of fun with them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock

View Post

After PCI, Firewire is the next best thing with the lowest latency.

I expect thunderbolt interfaces or interfaces with thunderbolt option like the UA Apollo to become more and more common. It's the firewire substitute.

Hear, hear!

I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 w/ firewire option and use a Thunderbolt to Firewire cable to connect it to my iMac.

• Members

The only Kurzweil Rumour on Ebay right now is overpriced. It has received lots of praise. A budget-friendly option in hardware is to consider the Eventide Space. Lots of the modular guys (including me) like those because they are knobby. They sound great and are equally happy with guitars or synths (or whatever). I have one on my modular table-thing with cables going from my Intellijel Audio interface module to it and then into my sound card. It does traditional plates and springs nicely and also has lots of funky presets that take you to outer space if desired.

• Members

Oh come on. Buy on Ebay, pay with Paypal, if there's anything wrong with it, get in touch with the seller and return it. If they act stupid (which usually they don't) you just dispute the claim. Simples.

Thank God I've always had great luck in buying used stuff that way. Also, Craigslist is an option, though things are harder to come by...

• Members

Yea, there's nothing doing on Craigslist for me, at least locally, that is. And I know, my thing with used gears is totally irrational, but it's just such a hassle when things don't go right, and this has happened to me on more than once occasion. Perhaps I will give it another try, especially since I'd like not only a multi-effects unit, but also a vocal processor too. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted

View Post

I was REALLY thinking about getting the newest POD HD, because I have an older POD and I just bet the new one kicks ass. Aside from that, there are a couple of Lexicon "MX" series racks I've been pondering. Anyone have any experience with those?

I picked up a POD HD Pro a while back for guitar stuff only and found that there's a lot to love. Even though the GUI implies that most of the effects are stompbox models, there are a lot of very clean rack-level effects in there as well. I'm completely obsessed with the particle verb on synths and the distortions add a lot of character, even at low gain settings. You can run parallel paths as well, with two amps and eight effects at once.

Not exactly cheap tho'. If you don't need the rack format and all the extra I/O, the kidney bean-shaped desktop version is $300 cheaper.

• Members

Ensoniq DP4+. LOVE IT. LOVE IT. LOVE IT!

Before that I had a TC Electronics M300. I believe it's a direct competitor to the Lexicon MX200, so it *might* have similar sound quality. The M300 (bought used for $75) was great for the price and it was certainly better than nothing. But it wasn't special in any way.

• Members

View Post

Since we are talking guitar effects/processors/preamps, I like the recent Vox stuff much much better than the similarly priced Line 6 stuff. I'd much rather get a Tonelab EX than a POD.

What is the rationale behind this? Strictly sound quality?

(ETA: I just looked this up on Sweetwater.com and listened to the 3 demos they have there. Sounds pretty nice, but I would like to hear more - I'll YouTube when I get home. Also, this thing has an actual tube in it? I would very much like to hear from anyone else that has one of these or has used one. Decisions, decisions, DECISIONS!)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Audacity Works

View Post

I picked up a POD HD Pro a while back for guitar stuff only and found that there's a lot to love. Even though the GUI implies that most of the effects are stompbox models, there are a lot of very clean rack-level effects in there as well. I'm completely obsessed with the particle verb on synths and the distortions add a lot of character, even at low gain settings. You can run parallel paths as well, with two amps and eight effects at once.

Not exactly cheap tho'. If you don't need the rack format and all the extra I/O, the kidney bean-shaped desktop version is $300 cheaper.

If I decide to upgrade to the POD HD, I will definitely be getting the 'desktop' version. The one I already have is the kidney bean type, and it's fine for my purposes. So many choices, and good ones too! I just don't know which route I want to go now...

• Members

View Post

What is the rationale behind this? Strictly sound quality?

Sound quality. I also like the interface better and the multiple choices for effects. My church was looking for a small not-too-expensive amp and I recommended the Vox VT80+ after comparing the available options under 500 dollars.

Line 6 has a digital sheen to it that I can so easily recognize, unless it's buried in a mix. It's probably just a pet peeve but I hate that digital high end it has...

It does have a tube. Vox and Korg are basically the same company now (like Akai and Alesis), so it's the same tube circuit you'll see in the electribes and the Korg SV-1, probably the same as the Triton Extreme also. It's a low voltage circuit so it's not like you're getting a big tube saturation, but it probably does have its advantages. It does sound good and that's all that matters. They don't make a desktop unit though... but I really like how their floor unit is laid out.

• Members

View Post

Sound quality.

Gotcha.

View Post

Line 6 has a digital sheen to it that I can so easily recognize, unless it's buried in a mix. It's probably just a pet peeve but I hate that digital high end it has...

No, you are right on the mark with this. I notice this as well, but I was under the impression that most amp modellers had that same overly bright digital sound... so you're saying the Vox product doesn't? This is interesting. Now I'm even more interested in this product, and I've been a Line 6 fan since POD 1.somthingorother.

View Post

It does have a tube.

Interest is now steadily growing...

View Post

Vox and Korg are basically the same company now (like Akai and Alesis), so it's the same tube circuit you'll see in the electribes and the Korg SV-1, probably the same as the Triton Extreme also. It's a low voltage circuit so it's not like you're getting a big tube saturation, but it probably does have its advantages. It does sound good and that's all that matters. They don't make a desktop unit though... but I really like how their floor unit is laid out.

It's just so much cheaper than the newest POD HD stomp model... and yet, according to you, sounds better. MAN I wish I wasn't stuck at work until 5:00pm today cuz I'd soooooo go to the music shops in town and see if they have this Vox product. Also, I didn't know they were "basically" Korg. You KNOW I'm a HUGE Korg fan, so maybe this is actually JUST what I'm looking for! *BoUnCeS*

• Members

Of course, "sounds better" is personal. But if you hear that digital sheen in the PODs I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Vox - I mean, the Sweetwater demos would have told you that already. It has a more analog/diode type distortion sound to it, and the "half-distorted" sounds are so much better to my ears. I don't know if there's an analog element to the distortion but it sounds much more like a Radial pedal type distortion with a bit of tube sheen to it, rather than a digital distortion.

By the way, the Zoom units don't have that digital sheen to my ears either, and the Zoom GT9.2tt is definitely worth looking at if you're shopping for a floor pedal with effects. Those modulation options with the pedal that goes up/down and sideways, are love.gif Those aren't as easy to find in stores but Music Go Round has a used one right now for 199.00 + 15.00 shipping. Something to consider smile.gif But as far as sound quality, to my ears the current Vox still wins (the original VT still had this digital sheen to it but this new one - Plus or EX or whatever depending on model, is much better).

• Members

Absolutely right "sounds better" is purely subjective, but I feel that I can trust your ears to an extent. I definitely remember a particularly bored day at work once when I sent you some crap that I'd recorded and you INSTANTLY said "Yea. Those guitars are POD." >.> hehe So, I don't take your recommendations lightly because I can tell you have a good ear. Plus, I listened to some of YOUR stuff and I can definitely say your guitar tracks trump mine by leaps and bounds! Speaking of which, when you record guitars (you, and anyone else who cares to say so), particularly distorted and overdriven tracks, do you use a modeller or mic'd amps?

Like an IDIOT (gah, I swear!), I sold ALL my amps and cabs - both guitar AND bass - when the last band I was in broke up. Big mistake. While I don't particularly expect to ever be in another band again (it's too much of a time sink, what with work, keeping up a household, significant other, etc etc) or play out live anywhere, I sure could've at least used the guitar amps and cabs for project studio recording... but my mindset at the time was, "Well, I have a POD. That'll do just fine." And, it does do "just fine" but I'm finding that my creativity is sometimes hampered by the less-than-stellar equipment that I own. I think I have squeezed just about everything out of my current POD that can possibly be squeezed, and I truly regret getting rid of that Bandit 112 Peavey combo amp I had. That would've been perfect for recording due to it's smaller size but relatively large sound. Damn, now I've just bummed myself out.

• Members

Don't bum yourself out smile.gif

There's plenty of cheap, good guitar gear out there.

Just last Friday I saw an all-tube 5-watt VOX amp at Guitar Center for 199 dollars. I'd bet if you stick a pedal in front of it you'd get a fantastic recorded sound.

Also, I was forgetting about something. This little guy. It's a fantastic digital amp that has quite a few good tones that sound very non-digital. Some (like the Rectifier model) do have a digital sheen, but there's some that are incredibly good. The only downside is that to get the best out of it you need to edit it from a computer - the actual amp doesn't have all models and effects that this is capable of. Still, as a practice and recording amp, it's quite an awesome new tool. If I didn't already have good tube amps, I'd definitely go for one of those little guys.

By the way, I don't know if my guitar sound was "leaps and bounds" ahead of yours - it was just different. Tube amps, mic'd up, sent to a cheap finicky tube preamp I no longer have (dbx 586), to analog tape. Analog tape does something to guitars, drums and vocals that is not easily explainable other than saying it's like magical pixy dust or something smile.gif

My next album which I'm finishing writing will have tube amps and microphones again, but this time will go through Steinberg/Yamaha preamps in my interface (which are stupposed to be REALLY good and the reason I got the interface) to a DAW. I'm *hoping* I can improve my guitar sound quite a bit with these preamps but you never know. So far my recording tests don't sound that great so I have a ton of work to do.

• Members

View Post

Hm. Looks like the Yamaha THR-10 is rated slightly higher than the Vox pedalboard. If given the choice of ONLY one of the two.. which would you choose?

Anyone else reading along feel free to chime in, too!

Which Vox pedalboard are you looking at by the way? I'd only look at the newer EX model which I see going for 299 which is the same price as the THR. There's also the THR5 which is 199 and I think only misses a couple features but the basic sound is all there, especially for recording.

I would try to see if I can play both quite a bit before deciding which one I'd go for... they're both great, hard choice smile.gif

As you know, I got a local Fender Super 60 just a few months ago for 200 bucks. They still go for that or even less on Ebay. My choice would always be to get the real tube amp if I can. Those Fenders are considered "flawed" by Fender purists because they're horrible to modify and have some design shortcomings like sharing EQ between channels, and having a clean channel that is not as loud as the distorted channel, and a cheap stock speaker. The reverb doesn't drown your sound completely like other Fenders do. But the sound is there in spades, even with the stock speaker. You haven't lived until you cranked a Fender tube amp playing a Fender guitar, or cranked a Marshall amp playing a real Gibson. smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Which Vox pedalboard are you looking at by the way? I'd only look at the newer EX model

Yes, the EX.

View Post

which I see going for 299 which is the same price as the THR.

Exactly, which makes the decision even tougher... Also, keep in mind I'm really looking for a multi-effects unit, but all this talk about PODs and guitars and such really gives me GAS (YES! I finally get to use this acronym!).

View Post

I would try to see if I can play both quite a bit before deciding which one I'd go for... they're both great, hard choice smile.gif

ALSO keep in mind the chances of me getting to play either of these in person before purchasing are slim to none. frown.gif

View Post

You haven't lived until you cranked a Fender tube amp playing a Fender guitar, or cranked a Marshall amp playing a real Gibson. smile.gif

I'll take the Marshall amp + Gibson over the Fender stuff anyday! wink.gif And, I have gotten to play both of these extensively, actually. I've just moved so far from the guitar as my "main" instrument that guitars and amps just don't have the same magic for me now as they did in the past. I just want something that doesn't sound like a "fake" or "digital" guitar when I'm recording, and if it's got passable to great(!) effects that come with, even better!

• Members

View Post

Don't bum yourself out smile.gif

There's plenty of cheap, good guitar gear out there.

Just last Friday I saw an all-tube 5-watt VOX amp at Guitar Center for 199 dollars. I'd bet if you stick a pedal in front of it you'd get a fantastic recorded sound.

Also, I was forgetting about something. This little guy. It's a fantastic digital amp that has quite a few good tones that sound very non-digital. Some (like the Rectifier model) do have a digital sheen, but there's some that are incredibly good. The only downside is that to get the best out of it you need to edit it from a computer - the actual amp doesn't have all models and effects that this is capable of. Still, as a practice and recording amp, it's quite an awesome new tool. If I didn't already have good tube amps, I'd definitely go for one of those little guys.

By the way, I don't know if my guitar sound was "leaps and bounds" ahead of yours - it was just different. Tube amps, mic'd up, sent to a cheap finicky tube preamp I no longer have (dbx 586), to analog tape. Analog tape does something to guitars, drums and vocals that is not easily explainable other than saying it's like magical pixy dust or something smile.gif

My next album which I'm finishing writing will have tube amps and microphones again, but this time will go through Steinberg/Yamaha preamps in my interface (which are stupposed to be REALLY good and the reason I got the interface) to a DAW. I'm *hoping* I can improve my guitar sound quite a bit with these preamps but you never know. So far my recording tests don't sound that great so I have a ton of work to do.

I just bought a 3 watt, battery powered VOX amp for mobile use of my synths. It has a separate line in/clean channel and sounds great. Pretty loud for a measly 3 watts, too.

Archived