OT : Work for less pay, but happier? Please share your story

zzzxtreme

• Members

I'd say, GO FOR HAPPINESS. Try to make a decent income out of it and/or compensate with something you also like and can give you some extra money, like playing small gigs, teaching, recording other people, etc.

It's your life. It's worth the effort.

:wave:

Good story. This is something that I've had to relearn and periodically remind myself throughout my lifetime. Happiness is the ultimate goal. The point of living is to be happy.

With work, it can get a little tricky because we tend to make trade-offs where we'll do something we absolutely hate because it pays us enough money to do OTHER things that we like. Before you know you it, you find that you're stressed all the time, feeling terrible, can't relax or sleep well, your relationships suffer, etc. You feel stuck. It can be VERY hard to back out of a career choice that makes you miserable.

• Members

Worked for a newspaper in the US (I'm American). Pay was pretty good, no real future. Moved to Mexico City teaching English to business execs (mostly 1 on 1). They pay is down quite a bit even after adjusted for cost of living, but the quality of life is way up (not financially of course, in most other ways one would consider "quality of life").

• Members

Gus Lozada and others, thanks. I chose the job where I do not have to handle any customer complains and computer servers. I just do the development, and there's another team for testing, another team for handling servers and deployment. Yippeeee

Archived