It's here and its FREE!!!!!! Roland Jupiter Synth Legends collection

minimoog

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post

This is intresting... out in places but for someone who is getting it free... welldone Roland...
yup...that's probably the best of the bunch so far.
excellent stuff....i'll push the buy button as soon as i hear them demo'd on the integra 7!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

okay so what else it out there...options?

Options for what, a rompler with a VA component? Kronos, Kurzweil PC3-anything, an older Motif (like an ES) with a PLG-150AN card, maybe Nord Stage 2 though it's light on the rompler side. Or maybe use any rompler you like and connect an iPad running Animoog, iPolySix, or some other VA program of your choice.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
Yay, and they dont charge $250 like a company we know... U know the other japanese one
facepalm.gif
The other japanese company charges that money for a sample based expansion. Not just for a patch collection.
The company we talk here about does just the same. The last time I went into a store for a arx/srx expansion, I had to pay for it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
So Roland has unveiled a bunch of free sounds for the Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50 synths that are meant to emulate their classic instruments.

They have even gone so far as to release comparison videos, that compare, for example, sound for sound, an original Jupiter-8 sound with the corresponding patch on the Jupiter-80.

I can't speak for the other videos, but I just spent five minutes watching the Jupiter-8 comparison video. I know from personal experience how challenging it can be to try and create virtually identical patches on two different instruments. That being said, about all this video did was to convince me I really want to have a Jupiter-8 someday. While a few of the comparisons are spot on, many are not, and I distinctly hear the difference between the true analog synthesizer and its digital re-creation. This is more than simply saying the two sounds are not identical - personally, I hear how they've tried to re-create the same feel, and it simply doesn't work. Out-of-phase oscillators on the Jupiter-8 sometimes simply sound like a chorus effect applied on the Jupiter-80.

I have never consider myself to be an "analog purist," but after listening to this video, perhaps I am more of a purist than I thought I was. That being said, the sounds on the Jupiter-80 are very listenable, usable, and musical in their own right, and could probably effectively emulate a vintage Jupiter-8 when used in a mix. Some of them do sound very close. But, to be fair, so could any number of other instruments, both hardware and software. Bottom line - for me, at least, you're not going to get rid of a craving for a real Jupiter-8 by purchasing a Jupiter-80 and downloading this free sound set. Not having a Jupiter-80 or 50 I may not watch the other videos, especially since I don't anticipate owning one soon - they're just too pricey for me.

Incredible...

How much better the jupiter 8 sounds.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sani View Post
facepalm.gif
The other japanese company charges that money for a sample based expansion. Not just for a patch collection.
The company we talk here about does just the same. The last time I went into a store for a arx/srx expansion, I had to pay for it.
Well, one thing we know for sure, is that the Jupiter 80 or 50 will NEVER have a sample-based expansion icon_lol.gif

Korg, Yamaha and Kurzweil on the other hand still make their top of the line products expandable...

• Members

The patches sound quite good on their own, but it seems odd to make side-by-side comparisons. Even on my crappy work computer speaker, I can hear the differences. But again, they don't sound bad, just different.

I think what bothers me about this is that the Roland are somehow saying it's the preset sounds that defined their early synths, whereas I feel it's the interface and human interaction of programming your own sounds that defined them as classics. The SH-101 and TB-303 didn't even have presets, let alone patch storage. Having a sound set doesn't really recreate that magic because once you start tweaking these patches on JP-80, they are no longer what they claim to be. It's not like using the Polysix and MS-20 engines in the Kronos, where almost all of the parameters stay true to the original schematics. You could tweak a patch endlessly and it will still have the same characteristics as the original synths.

But hey, free is free. Even if people plan on using these sound sets as is, hearing vintage flavored sounds like these in people's music is always a good thing.

• Members

I think it would have been a better idea if they just demoed the Jupiter 80 patches by themselves, without the side by side comparison. On their own the patches sound all right. It was a good idea on Roland's part to do more to showcase the VA capabilities of the Jupiter 80 -- although it also underlines the fact that the JP-80 is not really a multi-model workstation.

I could never quite understand why the company with the most to gain from releasing digitally modeled versions of their own classic synths will end up being the last to actually do it.

If Roland released a workstation with built-in VA models of the Jupiter 8, System 100, Juno 60, TB-303, SH-101, and D-50, it would sell like hotcakes. I'd be first in line to get one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post
I could never quite understand why the company with the most to gain from releasing digitally modeled versions of their own classic synths will end up being the last to actually do it.
Well, I think the JP-8000 is perhaps the closest they've gotten to recapturing the spirit of the Jupiter 8. It might not sound quite the same, but the interface, synth architect and even patching system is very close. Kind of funny consider it didn't go to the extent of copying the same design scheme like the JP-80 did.

Likewise, I feel the MC-X0X series really recaptures the magic of the TR drum machines. If the MC-303 had called itself the MC-606 instead of referencing the TB-303, I think it wouldn't have gotten as much hate as it did. I had one for a few years and as a drum machine, it sounded good and was fun to program. If Roland released a workstation as you described, plus added 16 patch buttons that would also act as an X0X drum input buttons, I'd be heaven.

Archived