midinut

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

Ouch!

Nobody really gives me anything, except a tin of home made cookies that my mom and dad make and send for my family. They are elderly and my mom has a hard time moving around, so the work they put into this is extraordinary and I appreciate that more than anything they could buy. You know, it is a little piece of my childhood.

I prefer to give stuff away anyway.

I'm with you there. I always tell people not to give me things for Christmas. It's more of a magical time for kids, which I think is great (and a lot of fun to watch). As an adult, you just appreciate a day or two off from work that you get to spend with family.

It's especially nice if you have the chance to fill a genuine need. Times like this make me think of destitute children who don't have toys or a warm coat.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mooginator

View Post

Okay, let me say at the onset this a whiney response.

What did I get for Xmas? Aside from some home-baked goods from relatives and a really nice scarf, I got a: can of chili, a jar of lame peanut butter, and some pecan-favored maple syrup ( to eat on pancakes I never make)

Who did I get those gifts from? My millionaire dad.

A year ago he set into motion financial activities that directly led to the deletion of my career, studio, way of life,residence, and ability to take care of my child. Seriously. I lost everything and am penniless, having to move in with my GF ( who has advanced MS). She pays for my food, medications, internet. My dad was on MY phone plan ( which I paid for) but when he put me in poverty, the phone went bye-bye. Of course he bought a new phone and got his own plan, he'll spend money on that. He will also spend money on maintaining a 5k sq.foot home where he lives alone, putting a new roof on his gazebo, buying professional grade lawn equipment, spending 13K on tree-removal, flying on a whim to VA for a party, etc, while sitting on stocks, mutuals, bonds, IRA, CDs, annuities, insurance policies, and 3 properties.

I (nor he) have not seen my son in nearly a year because I have no car and cannot afford to travel to him or have him see me. Apparently he doesn't want to see my kid, his grandson.

The culmination of my 30-year career now resides in the back of kid's pizza shop, my studio, bought at an auction for 10K. This kid has ZERO knowledge of what this gear does, yet alone how to hook it up and make music with it. I was kept totally in the dark about the auction's existence.

I just want to mention that I had not read your post when I posted the Willy Wonka remix. It was not intended in any way as a response to your post.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. It's especially sad to see families driven apart like that.

• Members

View Post

Okay, let me say at the onset this a whiney response.

GEEEEZUSSS!!!!

OK, you can't go that far into detail without explaining a few other details. How did your dad set into motion those activities? How does one destroy a 30 year career overnight? Is there any legal recourse? If there isn't a legal recourse, have you considered just looting his home to the tune of $10k?

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

I'm with you there. I always tell people not to give me things for Christmas. It's more of a magical time for kids, which I think is great (and a lot of fun to watch). As an adult, you just appreciate a day or two off from work that you get to spend with family.

I agree.

My problem is I never really ASK for anything but my folks and my girlfriend usually ask me what I want. When I tell them a gift is not necessary, they just respond "Yes it is. You might as well tell me what you actually want, otherwise you'll get something you might not like." I told my mom and dad I didn't need any gifts so of course they wrote me a $150 check and put it in a Christmas card.

So I throw out a few low priced suggestions, never really expecting to receive them. I usually do. I can't complain too much this year though because things have been very tough financially. Being constantly broke and having to sell some beloved gear to buy a new computer is depressing.

• Members

With my mom and dad it got to the point where we were exchanging gift cards from stores so we just stopped. That is because there is nothing that I want that they can buy and nothing they want that I can buy. It was silly to just send money back and forth. We send them nice (studio) photos of their grandchildren and choice (often humorous) artwork they make (we send artwork more frequently than just holidays). I send my mom flowers from time-to-time when the mood strikes me. My wife decided that she wanted to send more so she started chucking something small into the photo box, like cards good for a lunch at a favorite restaurant like Panera or frappucinos from Starbucks (my mom and dad are addicted to those things - silly retirees), so I fear the gift card thing will escalate again.

Wife actually mentioned, on Christmas day, that Christmas really is for kids, but I don't think so even though we don't celebrate a religious holiday - just the secular. For me it is also time for a break from work and to be at home with my family and do things with them that reinforces our traditions. It is a time to try to relax. This year has been more than a little difficult for relaxation for various reasons besides the furnace blowing out, but you know I am bet the memories of snuggling the kids in front of the fireplace will be pretty good in a way.

• Members

I didn't get, or ask for, anything musical. I did get a heated jacket liner to wear on my motorcycle, an Otterbox cover for my tablet, a quiet insert for the exhaust on my bike, some riding gloves, a bottle of Crown and a bottle of Jim Beam, and a new hand blender to replace the one that broke a while back.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by plaid_emu

View Post

GEEEEZUSSS!!!!

OK, you can't go that far into detail without explaining a few other details. How did your dad set into motion those activities? How does one destroy a 30 year career overnight? Is there any legal recourse? If there isn't a legal recourse, have you considered just looting his home to the tune of $10k?

Inquiring minds want to know!

As many of you may know, music on local TV, and reality TV cable shows is pretty much free now. They dont pay at all for cues anymore, its all royalties, and even those get hijacked by over zealous producers. Furthermore, ASCAP, has devalued music of this type to be virtually worthless, so you dont get much on the back end either.

So,

In a preemptive move to protect my way of life, I sought out an outside investment opportunity, a bar which was going for sale. I asked my father for a loan to purchase said bar. He agreed. However, he changed the conditions of the purchase and undermined my management. Those actions not only placed me in further debt from day-one, but he also refused to put a nickel into the bank for bills, and refused to let me make the small but necessary changes in the business.

Needless to say the business quickly failed, and he went behind my back and sold it back to the con man who had sold it to him, for no money down and no promissory note. He received 2 small payments from this con man and that was it. The con man received all of the cash from the initial purchase, got to eat and drink for free while my dad owned it, and I slaved over it for 5 months for FREE, THEN got the bar back without any type of payment or contract.

Without the extra money I needed to sustain my business, the banks swooped in and took everything except my clothes, a bike, and my awards.

There was nothing else I could do to protect my career because all of my time was spent managing his bar.

My father refused to pay the lawyer fee of $2,500 to sue the owner for the busted sale. ( verbal contracts are legally binding where I live) If you knew how much money was at stake ( disregarding my well being) you'd agree this was a stupid move on my father's part.

So the banks would not sell me any of my gear at any price, nor did they allow me to sell it for them. As they had no one qualified to make an assessment they sold it all for 10K. No I cant loot his home. I doubt the kid keeps 10k in cash there. 10K wouldnt even buy the cabling I had.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

... it got to the point where we were exchanging gift cards from stores so we just stopped...

I'm ALL for this approach!!!! I'm at the stage in life that there's really nothing that I need or want that's gonna find it's way to me as a Christmas gift. While I appreciate the gift cards along with anything else that I receive as a gift - the truth of the matter is, I'm just a happy just spending time my family and friends around the holidays. I'm constantly telling my wife and kids - don't get me anything for Christmas (the reality is that I've probably already spent way more than our budget will allow on my musical toys and hockey habit).

• Members

View Post

So the banks would not sell me any of my gear at any price, nor did they allow me to sell it for them. As they had no one qualified to make an assessment they sold it all for 10K. No I cant loot his home. I doubt the kid keeps 10k in cash there. 10K wouldnt even buy the cabling I had.

Wow. Man, I'm sorry you have to endure such unfairness. The insanity of middle-aged/old men..... I understand. My own father is in his sixties and I swear he's showing early stages of Alzheimer's (his mother had it too). While he appears mostly normal to the average person, he's a completely different person than he was even 5 years ago and I can assure you he's lost his f**king mind. It's like he's only concerned about himself and has lost all rational thought when it comes to dealing with family and business. Unfortunately it's had a very direct affect on us because he's running the family business into the ground and now has a slutty secretary (i.e. old white trash junkie girlfriend) which stole a few of my personal handguns because my father GAVE HER (and the ex-con husband) the combination to the safe while he was out of town!!! After that I told him it was us or her. He chose her. My mother (amazingly still his wife) has lost her damn mind too. Ten years ago my mother would've kicked his retarded ass out of the house. Now she puts up with it to maintain the illusion of normalcy with her very Christian side of the family, and to stay financially comfortable.

One more question about your situation, if you don't mind. Did the banks just break into your house and steal your studio? How did all that go down?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

I just want to mention that I had not read your post when I posted the Willy Wonka remix. It was not intended in any way as a response to your post.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. It's especially sad to see families driven apart like that.

No worries man. I didnt take it that way, but thanks for your concern.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by plaid_emu

View Post

One more question about your situation, if you don't mind. Did the banks just break into your house and steal your studio? How did all that go down?

I had a stand-alone commercial space that I built my residence in, apart from the studio rooms. The banks didnt come in. I turned in my keys. I owed them a LOT of money. I cherry-picked some items ( mics, outboard) so I could sell them to live on, but that only lasted for a while.

I already owned all of my gear prior to opening up the business, but I used the gear as a collateral to procure a loan to operate/maintain the business and to perform the acoustic treatments, as well as conventional furnishings.

• Members

I got a package yesterday. 43 pounds, from a guitar center in CA.

Upon opening, my present has a giant hole in one corner and pieces of chassis are all over the place. Needless to say this is not my idea of a good xmas present. (This was my new, used Kurzweil pc361 that I was looking forward to take to a gig tonight).

UPS sucks.

Back to refreshing ebay and other used gear pages for weeks on end...blargh.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

On a brighter note, watching the kitty and Disco gif couple while the vid plays is so funny... Thank you !!!

View Post

I had a stand-alone commercial space that I built my residence in, apart from the studio rooms. The banks didnt come in. I turned in my keys. I owed them a LOT of money. I cherry-picked some items ( mics, outboard) so I could sell them to live on, but that only lasted for a while.

I already owned all of my gear prior to opening up the business, but I used the gear as a collateral to procure a loan to operate/maintain the business and to perform the acoustic treatments, as well as conventional furnishings.

I was wondering if anybody would get that.

Hand-picked gifs, my friend.

As for Mooginator's woes, I've seen more family related business partnerships go south than I can shake a stick at. And on top of it, banks are just predators.

Hopefully things will turn around for you. As they say, at least you have your health. I'm in NY spending time with a friend who is dying of lung cancer, and a family member who is somehow surviving (for now) a very aggressive case of brain cancer, and it's heart breaking.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Purity_Control

View Post

All I got for Christmas was having hot wax dripped on me followed by being brutally beaten.

It was simply awful. icon_lol.gif

You had it coming. We told you not to post your Abba Goes Theremin concert on YouTube.

Archived