Some comments on Metallica and the Mark IIC+

Soundstorm

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by darkinhas View Post
That was a cool read, thanks for bringing it back from the dead!

Man, it's a shame Mesa amps are so rediculously expensive in Europe, but some day I'll get my hands on one of these vintage Marks...
I really want a mark series amp at some point. Probably a mark and a dual rec or something..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by darkinhas View Post
That was a cool read, thanks for bringing it back from the dead!

Man, it's a shame Mesa amps are so rediculously expensive in Europe, but some day I'll get my hands on one of these vintage Marks...
I really want a mark series amp at some point. Probably a mark and a dual rec or something..

• Members

I always hated the sound of AJFA. The whole album was way too dry. Plus, it seems like they buried Jason in the mix. Garage Days has a way better overall sound. I've always felt they were still lost after losing Cliff. While there are definitely some bright spots, the album seems overwritten. There is enough good riffng on it for three albums. Cliff would have stripped it right down.

He was most definitely their spiritual centerpiece.

• Members

I always hated the sound of AJFA. The whole album was way too dry. Plus, it seems like they buried Jason in the mix. Garage Days has a way better overall sound. I've always felt they were still lost after losing Cliff. While there are definitely some bright spots, the album seems overwritten. There is enough good riffng on it for three albums. Cliff would have stripped it right down.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by petejt View Post
The Metallica (Black Album) tone- that was A LOT more complex.

That's not just the MarkIIC+. That's the IIC+ on one rhythm layer, a modified Marshall head on second layer track (this amp provided a LOT of the tone, the guts), and a Mesa/Boogie MarkIV for the "THICKner" third rhythm layer! Plus an ADA MP-1 preamp was thrown in there too. There's some parametric EQ'ing going on, but not as much as AJFA. 10 microphones (8 closely positioned, 2 above for ambience) on 3 Marshall 4x12 cabinets & 1 Mesa/Boogie 4x12 cabinet, all stuck in the corner of the studio recording room, closed off with foam walls & U-Haul blankets, recorded the output, and these each had a track (so that's 8 tracks of guitar! For each amp! 24 {censored}ing guitar tracks! nah lol! Those 8 tracks were used to partially phase-cancel each other, to act like an EQ but not not exactly like an EQ, so the equalisation wouldn't sound so forced, like AJFA. It helped to keep the guts while still getting the thunk & crunch.
Phasing wouldn't have been an issue if they had used this wonder marvel!

303.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by petejt View Post
The Metallica (Black Album) tone- that was A LOT more complex.

That's not just the MarkIIC+. That's the IIC+ on one rhythm layer, a modified Marshall head on second layer track (this amp provided a LOT of the tone, the guts), and a Mesa/Boogie MarkIV for the "THICKner" third rhythm layer! Plus an ADA MP-1 preamp was thrown in there too. There's some parametric EQ'ing going on, but not as much as AJFA. 10 microphones (8 closely positioned, 2 above for ambience) on 3 Marshall 4x12 cabinets & 1 Mesa/Boogie 4x12 cabinet, all stuck in the corner of the studio recording room, closed off with foam walls & U-Haul blankets, recorded the output, and these each had a track (so that's 8 tracks of guitar! For each amp! 24 {censored}ing guitar tracks! nah lol! Those 8 tracks were used to partially phase-cancel each other, to act like an EQ but not not exactly like an EQ, so the equalisation wouldn't sound so forced, like AJFA. It helped to keep the guts while still getting the thunk & crunch.
Phasing wouldn't have been an issue if they had used this wonder marvel!

303.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx View Post

i love when people make {censored} up about "what cliff would say", or do, or how he would have done things to keep metallica "good" or whatever.
silly bull{censored}.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx View Post

i love when people make {censored} up about "what cliff would say", or do, or how he would have done things to keep metallica "good" or whatever.
silly bull{censored}.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JimAnsell View Post
silly bull{censored}.

I think most forget that Cliff was the one least into thrash and speed metal in the band. He loved the classical, bluesy, melodic stuff. If nothing else they might have did a Load and ReLoad sooner with Cliff around.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JimAnsell View Post
silly bull{censored}.

I think most forget that Cliff was the one least into thrash and speed metal in the band. He loved the classical, bluesy, melodic stuff. If nothing else they might have did a Load and ReLoad sooner with Cliff around.

Archived