Im done selling gear on eBay, due to dishonest Buyers

synthetica

• Members

Most of the used gear buying and selling that I have done in the last year or so has been on the b/s/t forum on muffwiggler or directly from/to local wigglers that I know. There have been some issues with bad sellers there, but I think the community filtered them out. I sold a couple of items on feebay but didn't have a problem. I guess that I have been lucky.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I'm assuming it's not available in a modern format, or are you nostalgic for cassettes? May I ask which cassette it was? Just curious.
I am just nostalgic for cassettes - a completely ridiculous thing given how much I hated cassettes before the era of CDs.

This is what came in the mail. Really.

xlarge.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
I am just nostalgic for cassettes - a completely ridiculous thing given how much I hated cassettes before the era of CDs.

WOW!!!!! Maybe the seller just hates Elton John and his fans and the joke was on you. Oh well, thought I might be able to help if it was out of print, as my family has a gigantic music collection and much of it is rare and unusual stuff. A good deal of it is just not available anymore. I'm pretty sure you can snag another one of those. Even on cassette.

• Members

One popular scam on ebay is to buy a piece of gear they already own but doesn't work. Switch out the internals and ask for a refund for items not working. Or else, sending back an entirely different unit. Writing down the SN and taking pics of the internals is always a good idea. I refuse to sell on ebay. The fact that Pal Scam holds your funds for ransom until getting positive feedback is a deal breaker for me.

• Members

I only sell on CL now, pickup only. I'll sell for less money then going price (plus shipping) on ebay which seems to help stuff move. I also had problems with ebay and scammers. Just not worth the hassle any more. I'd rather keep the item and wait until I find a local seller than deal with the huge fees of ebay and Paypal while risking getting screwed.

• Members

i always put everything for sale "as is" due to chip-switching paranoia but guarantee it 100% functional to any buyer picking it up in person.

i've sold a bunch of my old synths on ebay in the past; however, the last thing i sold (my microwave xt) went on craigslist. cash in hand the day after i listed it. nice.

• Members

it goes both ways. Sellers really need to be specific about condition, make honest appraisals of used gear. If they do that, buyers are not surprised.

eBay use to be a sellers marketplace and buyers could get stuck. This has changed and it needed to.

Amazon has always been a buyers marketplace and gave them easy ability to return stuff. I think eBay had to respond to that and did it with the claim process.

As a seller, you need to understand that your stuff can be returned for any reason, as flimsy as the reason is. You are really selling on consignment, sort of try and buy, or 30 day rental. Until the customer is satisfied, your item is not sold. You must know how particular musicians are about gear, its not a casual purchase.
If a buyer decides he does not like your synth, etc, you can't be too surprised with the claim/return. This is simply the way eBay ( and Amazon) operates.

I use CL to sell my stuff. I have perfect success and use common sense when the scammers hit my ad.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by synthetica

View Post

This is what I don't understand about eBay. I actually have a NO Return policy applied to the auctions but any buyer can just open a case with Ebay and they FORCE you to accept a Return and issue a Refund regardless of the circumstances and is always processed in the buyers favor. Whats the use in allowing you to define a return policy if they are going to overide it anyways. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I agree , this is a convoluted way to do it. See my prior post to get insight why ebay does it this way.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by synthetica View Post
This is what I don't understand about eBay. I actually have a NO Return policy applied to the auctions but any buyer can just open a case with Ebay and they FORCE you to accept a Return and issue a Refund regardless of the circumstances and is always processed in the buyers favor. Whats the use in allowing you to define a return policy if they are going to overide it anyways. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif
I don't think it is supposed to work that way. The No Return policy is supposed to indicate that buyers can not return the item just because they decide they don't want it, assuming the item is exactly as described in the auction.

I suspect Buyers might use one of the legal outs -- e.g. not as described, to get around the no Return policy.

I have definitely tried to reduce the number of items I sell on eBay -- it seems their fees (eBay and PayPal) get higher all the time and there are more hassles.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Overall, I have had good luck with Ebay, both as buyer and seller.  However, the downward trend started about 3 years ago when the rules changed and buyers started asking for partial refunds and the like.... blackmail if you will.

My worst experience was when I listed a 4-wheeler with a $1200 BIN and local pickup only and it sells within a day.  The buyer never paid.  When I contacted him, he started a song and dance about how he only had $900.  I asked why he bought the ATV for $1200 and he goes into a spiel about how he's handicapped and poor and I should sell it to him for $900.  At this point, he becomes abusive and starts making physical threats.  Remember, he's local and knows where I live.  Then he left me negative feedback that he bought the ATV and it fell apart right after he picked it up.  Keep in mind that he'd neither seen or ridden the damn thing.

I called Ebay, who informed me that they would not intervene until the payment was delinquent for a week.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and asked for his email address.  I held him on the phone while I forwarded all of this loonytune's emails.  After a quick read, he cancelled the transaction, wiped the feedback, and banned the "buyer".  However, the whole experience, when coupled with several other scams, has left a very bad taste in my mouth.  I have done hundreds of deals on Ebay, but I am reluctant to use it now.  I've had a couple of buyers ask to return guitars because they didn't like the setup, even though I have language in my guitar listings that each player is different and that the guitar may require a setup to meet their preferences.

• Members

keybdwizrd wrote:

Originally Posted by
plaid_emu
View Post
I'm assuming it's not available in a modern format, or are you nostalgic for cassettes? May I ask which cassette it was? Just curious.

xlarge.jpg

I have that album on vinyl. Bought it at a neighbor's garage sale when I was a kid.

I've never sold anything on eBay -- kind of afraid to. The only bad experience I've had was when I bought a Roland XP30 and it didn't arrive and heard nothing from the seller. No response to messages until I opened a case with eBay. Then he was saying that he was away from home for a couple of weeks and he could "try" to send it out when he got back. I said no, just give me a refund. Again, no response. After going through the whole eBay complaint process, I finally got my money back more than a month later.

• Members

Be careful about using the NO RETURN policy.

If someone gets something and it's not what they expected, they can contact ebay and ebay will ask them to destroy it before refunding them (and debiting your account).

Maybe your experience is newer than the one I read about, and they've changed the policy, and maybe it was experiences like that that caused them to change the policy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just opened a case on eBay against a fraudulent seller, who immediately claimed my paypal payment but then disappeared. Prior to this, my 12 or so transactions (all buys) had been good experiences, save for the idiot who shipped a Motif classic in a single box, minimal packing, and it was trashed when it got to me. It took about 6 months for UPS to cut a check.

In my recent case, maybe I'm an idiot myself for thinking someone would actually sell a working QSC K10 for $350. Thank you, Vincent Samsoondar, wherever you are.

Archived