Importance of guitar/amp combination

The Keester

• Members

I believe the importance of this is very underestimated.

The right guitar through the right amp can sound blissful and vice-versa.

I think this is one of the big reasons people on this forum argue about what amps and guitars sound good without taking account the combination.

Certain gear brings out the best in each other.

Discuss.

• Members

Well, its more complicated than that. Tone is calculated through a complex equation involving how many gibson and marshall logos can be seen on your rig. Tone is in the headstock.

Note- Marshall can be substituted by either a trainwreck or dumble. The aroma of cork is a significant tone booster. Just make sure the tubes are no less than 50 years old

• Members

Well, I love the sound of my SG loaded with EMG's running through my Randall. Has a kick ass tone EVEN at low volume. My Jackson sounds like ass running through the same randall at the same volume.. Much of this I am sure is because of the hotter pups in the SG.. For a bit I was thinking of stripping the EMG 85 out of my SG and put it in my Jackson..I have since decided not to for what ever reason.

In saying all of this.... I bought a BOSS OS/2 for like $40 in mint condition like a month ago at a pawn shop.To my surprise it brought much life back into my Jackson at low amp/apartment volume with my Randall.... The settings I have found that works is:
OS/2
Level Tone Drive Color
----------------------------
60% 75% 100% 80%

These setting and using the clean channel of my Randall actually sounds rather good... Im not a hard core tone snob,but I was impressed..

• Members

I have been thinking about this as I read guys opinions and bitches about amps and tones or characteristics. There are so many variables involved, but the PLAYER is a huge one. I have a friend who technically speaking is very good, but his right hand style makes everything sound open and noisy. He's very stiff and has poor dynamics and phrasing in his playing. He can make the best rig sound like ass. I could have killer tones dialed in, hand him my guitar, and it sounds like him-bad. Some players styles mesh with certain amps/guitars. Of course the type of music makes a difference, too, but like my buddy, he is really tone deaf. Combine that with his style, or lack thereof, and it's time for some earplugs. If you can find that harmonious fit between amp, pickups, and player, good things happen.

• Members

I am going to have to say that if Wire types, and component types can effect the tone of an amp, then the type of wood, its density as well as its grainwill also have an effect on an amp/rig setup and the over all tone. I am actually glad someone brought this topic up. I mean yes the pickup type will have an effect as well as speaker type in the amp. But I have played many grades of guitars back to back through the same amps before and can say without a doubt that," yes, the guitar effects tone as well" Maybe more so than poeple want to admit. When I am writing posts on this forum as well as others and I speak of the "voice" that a guitar has, I am actually refering to the fact that all guitars have a distinct tone it creates when played. some are pleasant and musical and some like {censored}. And when I say {censored} I mean some sound like {censored}. Bad enough to make you feel like your listening to fingers on a chalkboard. The difference between my TEXMEX Strat, my American Strat, and my Ibanez were very distinct. The Ibanez has a similar pickup configuration to the TEXMEX; Humbucker/Single/single, the Strat had a voice that caused it to literally wail! I could make that axe wail like a lonely wolf in the night or scream like a banshede(banshee) in heat, and because of the bi-directional Floyd Rose and lock-downs she kept her tune. I know for damn sure the A Strat could have wailed better than that if she had been built with the same bridge. The TEX and the Ibanez had similarly hot pickups as well.

The cheapo Sanatoga that I have now has nice voice aswell, and sounds great with my Vintage Club. I bet if I had one of those {censored}ty Plywood Fender Squires would sound like ass stained with crap.:D

• Members

ive heard two different guitars with the same exact pups (p-90s) sound completely different in one amp. one good one not so good. the player was the same...me

yes speaker is a factor but im talking about stock amps so the speaker is part of the amp IMO

• Members

ive heard two different guitars with the same exact pups (p-90s) sound completely different in one amp. one good one not so good. the player was the same...me

yes speaker is a factor but im talking about STOCK amps so the speaker is part of the amp IMO

• Members
Well, its more complicated than that. Tone is calculated through a complex equation involving how many gibson and marshall logos can be seen on your rig. Tone is in the headstock.

Note- Marshall can be substituted by either a trainwreck or dumble. The aroma of cork is a significant tone booster. Just make sure the tubes are no less than 50 years old

Being a member of TGP helps too :p

• Members

Honestly, your tone is a factor of all of the little things in the signal chain. Guitar cable, tubes, speakers, the type of wire in the amp (I {censored} you not - solid core PVC covered sounds different than teflon covered stranded), the weight and construction of the guitar.

All of the little things have some sort of impact on the final tone that you hear come from your amp.

• Members

:D :D :D

that's awesome:thu:

• Members

:lol:

i do agree with the original post, of course.

• Members

Honestly, your tone is a factor of all of the little things in the signal chain. Guitar cable, tubes, speakers, the type of wire in the amp (I {censored} you not - solid core PVC covered sounds different than teflon covered stranded), the weight and construction of the guitar.

All of the little things have some sort of impact on the final tone that you hear come from your amp.

i agree. everything will have an effect, more or less.

Archived