In the next couple of days we may have some new moderators...

JBecker

• Members

I know how to clear this whole mess up...
Just ban everyone that hasn't been here since 2004.
The whole kit and kaboodle. Kick 'em all to the curb.

Anyone that bashes 5150's gets booted. Anyone
who does not bash Kranks gets booted. Anyone
who responds to me with less than a silver tongue
gets booted from the whole interwebz.

Now, who wants to start with me? :)

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How old is the amp? If it is more than 10 years old, which I suspect it is, check the filter caps. Maybe it has become under-filtered by the caps going?

Sounds kind of ignorant to suggest that, I wish James or Doug would see this.

Under-filtered amps will produce ghost tones aplenty. Then it could simply be voice-coil rub. Does it do it when you are picking lightly or when you really dig in regardless of overall volume levels?

Didn't see this last night. Yeah, I'm kind of wondering about those filter caps. They're not old, but maybe something went south anyway.

• Members

The "knowledge base" issue is very real. This place used to have people who could walk you through a trouble-shoot of your amp, and that's not so anymore. In my mind, those who were knowledgeable were people like Bob Ingram (still a god in my opinion). For what it's worth, Red Ant is great on the playing and theory end of things, but I'm pretty sure he would admit to lacking the tech credentials.

• Members
I know how to clear this whole mess up...

Just ban everyone that hasn't been here since 2004.

The whole kit and kaboodle. Kick 'em all to the curb.

Anyone that bashes 5150's gets booted. Anyone

who does not bash Kranks gets booted. Anyone

who responds to me with less than a silver tongue

gets booted from the whole interwebz.

Now, who wants to start with me?
:)

Mods! Rev your chainsaws!

• Members

The "knowledge base" issue is very real. This place used to have people who could walk you through a trouble-shoot of your amp, and that's not true anymore. In my mind, those who were knowledgeable were people like Bob Ingram (still a god in my mind). For what it's worth, Red Ant is great on the playing and theory end of things, but I'm pretty sure he would admit to lacking the tech credentials.

He was one of the worst casualty of this forum.

Plus, the guy used a headset wireless mic! Major props for not caring he looked like Britney Spears about to go into dance routine with that thing!

I miss Bob. He definitely wouldn't remember me because I was much more of a reader than a poster when he was around.

• Members
Thanks for taking the time to respond. If I ever became a mod, I doubt you'd have any problems with the way I would do things, judging from your post, though we may disagree about the current state of the forum.

Back at you. Here's some artist from the Sierra Center Stage

Check out Bela Fleck. If I'm not mistaken he's got an EMG 81 in the neck position of his banjo :D. Check all of the clips. Most definitely check
out Roy Rodgers. IMO he's a killer slide player. The clip is a mediocre sample of his talent.

• Members
Red Ant's funk backing tracks, writing skills, production and engineering were unique. I respect your point of view on Myles but IMO I saw Myles losing credibility after the Mullard RI's fiasco. Technical prowess helps with preamp tubes but with tube amps the bottom you must try and determine for yourself. Its the individuals choice to stay or leave. No one from HC ran these guys out. I may be wrong . But thats how I see things. Peter Diezel is well loved and respected here but if an amp builder needs to be somewhere where criticism is marginalized then so be it.

I don't think jams are always the answer. It takes alot of work. Give me a youtube video. Thats what I'm happy with nowadays
:)
. Again, you made reference to metal and its seemingly overbearing role on HCAF. If there's a reason why forum activities have/are declining IMO its not because of metal. I read your earlier comments as one having an aversion or being indifferent.

I don't really think they're declining because of metal, I'm just saying one of the causes for my non-involvement at current. I just think people aren't interested in spending that much time playing for the forum anymore, just a general decline in the sense of community.

I'll donate my pre-loved M-Audio DUO free of charge, just for your cause. I have other freebies you can put to work. If you don't I'll take this as a sign from above you were really complaining. You can PM if you so desire.

I'd never turn down a freebie-- I'll PM you an address. I had a recording interface but it doesn't work with Linux so I haven't used it. It appears the Duo is compatible with Linux.

I recall 2005 as a stellar year, for HCAF jams. An should that always continue? By nature people won't carry the initiative or momentum.

Blaming it on HC is just too convenient.

The jams, I think, are a microcosm of what's happened, not necessarily the actual issue with the forum, IMO.

I think Chris Snider was wise to start RT. Frankly I was tired of him bitching about the mods here. I'm sincerely happy he has bigger fish to fry.

I'm glad he started it in some sense, but there are many guys posting over there that I wish would spend more time back here.

More styles of music is good medicine. If you believe in policing to achieve a higher standard then please indulge yourself in futility. Playing a enforcer on the internet is not impressive. Thats how I see and how I'll continue see it.

I don't think policing will bring that, however, through this thread I've posted a couple of, "Lead by example" ideas that I do think could help. With a team of four or five mods working to create some good weekly content of some form I think we can set a good, on-topic tone that may open up conversations people on here want to have but haven't been able to get proper attention for it and/or aren't committed to the idea. Also, respect from members goes a long way when it comes to responses-- if the mods have the respect of the forum, their topics will get more interest and traffic than other threads and this could be the first step needed towards improving the tone here.

Back at you. Here's some artist from the
Sierra Center Stage

Check out Bela Fleck. If I'm not mistaken he's got an EMG 81 in the neck position of his banjo
:D
. Check all of the clips. Most definitely check

out Roy Rodgers. IMO he's a killer slide player. The clip is a mediocre sample of his talent.

I'm a big Bela Fleck fan, though I hate the 81.... I'll defnitely check out some of the other stuff on that site.

• Members

Youd be a good mod riffy, but im afraid this place would turn into HCBoreCentral.

It would be your decision.

Thank you! I don't think it would be boring though. I do after all love sticking chocolate in my peanut butter!

How much more exciting do you really want things!?!?

I would leave you and renoir1 alone I believe. I find you both rather

funny to be honest. But to your imitators, I would say beware. No

funny content, just stupidity, and deleted threads would result.

Why? They simply annoy the majority of members.

Now that said, I doubt seriously I would ever be chosen to be a mod

here.

• Members

Bob Ingram was the bomb. He has tons of technical knowledge. He and StratKat, originally turned me onto the Agille brand of guitars!

I miss the both of them.

Welll...technical knowledge notwithstanding...Bob could hand you your ass without you even knowing it was missing, even saying "thanks Bob!".

• Members

Welll...technical knowledge notwithstanding...Bob could hand you your ass without you even knowing it was missing, even saying "thanks Bob!".

I was always fortunate that he never felt cause to subject me to that bro! Maybe because I was always so dumb and sincere!

• Members

A Riffy moderated board would never be boring if we took his temperature rectally every half hour.

So you're saying, let me get this straight, I would receive pleasure from the mod job as well? Then by all means, sign me up!:thu:

• Members

I know I threw my name in as a candidate, but has anyone been contacted about being a moderator? Unless I missed something, I don`t know that the powers to be have contacted anyone.

The last round of moderation sucked so bad, I think that anyone would be an improvement.

I`m starting to wonder if this is just BS put out there to give everyone some new drama for entertainment.

Eric

• Members
So you're saying, let me get this straight, I would receive pleasure from the mod job as well? Then by all means, sign me up!
:thu:

Late night inner-city corner under lamplight. A buxom gall in high heels, short skirt, and purple 'fro wig leans against the lamp post. Enter Loghead.

Loghead: Hey, babe. How much for a mod job?

• Members

I've heard nothing, they said about a week on Tues or Wed last week, so it should be any day. I've been on the forums 5.5 years, I guess I can wait a few days to find out. I'm a little anxious myself.

I'm interested in a role call as to who put in for it as well...

• Members

Late night inner-city corner under lamplight. A buxom gall in high heels, short skirt, and purple 'fro wig leans against the lamp post. Enter Loghead.

Loghead: Hey, babe. How much for a mod job?

The buxom gal stood in the lamplight, staring at the man who had just addressed her. She lit a cigarette and watched the smoke curl upwards into the light. The insects swarmed around the dim light but she seemingly didn't notice them at all.

She suddenly spoke and said, "What do y'all take me for mister?" "I

ain't standin' out here fo mah health ya know."

• Members

I've heard nothing, they said about a week on Tues or Wed last week, so it should be any day. I've been on the forums 5.5 years, I guess I can wait a few days to find out. I'm a little anxious myself.

I'm interested in a role call as to who put in for it as well...

I just PM`d Phil to see what he would say. I put my name in, but honestly don`t expect much out of it. I have a feeling it will be a popularity contest and I`m not at the top of the party list. Meh, it would be cool to see how I would do. I have some good ideas, but sometimes that doesn`t matter.

Whoever gets it, I wish luck. It will be a headache for anyone. Many of the more closed minded posters will hate whoever does the job. No matter whether they do it well or not. You can`t please everyone, all the time.

Eric

• Members

I just PM`d Phil to see what he would say. I put my name in, but honestly don`t expect much out of it. I have a feeling it will be a popularity contest and I`m not at the top of the party list. Meh, it would be cool to see how I would do. I have some good ideas, but sometimes that doesn`t matter.

Whoever gets it, I wish luck. It will be a headache for anyone. Many of the more closed minded posters will hate whoever does the job. No matter whether they do it well or not. You can`t please everyone, all the time.

Eric

+100000 to everything.

Archived