Dorm Room Dilemma!

Dr. T

• Members

Okay, here's the deal. I'm going to college out of state, and I am currently in possession of

- Ibanez acoustic electric guitar

- Fender Highway 1 HSS Strat

- Microcube

- Traynor YCV 50

- Pedal board (TU-2, 535q, Bad Monkey and DD3)

And I ideally want to take all of that to college with me. I want to start a band so I'll need my Traynor, but then again, if that never pans out, it'll just sit in my dorm room collecting dust.

Should I sell my Traynor off and get a smaller but still band worthy amp? Should I just leave it at home?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Members

if you want to start a band, bring it. if not, youll get some use out of it. i dont know how your dorm runs, but typically you cannot get a noise complaint before quite hours, unless someone is a real douche bag on your floor. as long as you play durring the day you should be cool. besides, if you leave it home itll just collect dust there, at least if its with you, you have the option to use it if you so choose.

• Members

I can't go that long without playing my electric though. And my school requires that I stay on campus all 4 years. On a side note it's a small school (about 1400 people) but I don't think I'll have that much trouble finding people to jam with.

• Members

If you're going to have a dorm room all to yourself, sure. If not, don't. I trust no one with my equipment. You'll have a room mate and they'll bring people into the room that you don't know and your {censored} will probably come up missing.

I don't have to worry about that - I'm rooming with one of my best friends who is a fellow musician who can empathize with my concerns.

• Members

don't. you won't have time your first year to "start" a band. it'll just sit in your room collecting dust. wait until your second year when you live off campus or something. just bring the acoustic.

I did... I played in two!!!

• Members

I don't have to worry about that - I'm rooming with one of my best friends who is a fellow musician who can empathize with my concerns.

In that case, take it. Try not to let it be a distraction. I should be studying almost 24/7, but with my guitar and amp sitting next to my desk, I stray and play. What's a musician to do?

• Members
I played in a band during my freshman year, which played @ parties every weekend, and still had time for class. You suck at the multitasking or something?
:freak:

Pretty much... two of my friends pledged to two different frats, so I could always get party gigs. All the beer we could drink, pizza we could eat, 50 bucks, plus they'd pass a hat for us. My only regret is not being single, because I saw some amazing tail at those parties and I had to be loyal to my GF, who was cheating on me, btw.

Plus I did a lot of open mic nites back when places like Cody's and The Buzz (both stores, Oxford and Cinci) existed.

• Members

I played in a band all through college starting my freshman year. Before leaving for college, I was hesistant to bring any of my gear (an acoustic, electric and a line 6 combo). I ended up bringing an acoustic when I moved out, found out my roommates were into music and the rest was history. Like others have mentioned, if you can manage your time, you can play parties, gigs, etc and still do well in your classes. Playing music in college was one of the best experiences of my life. Gigging and all the up and downs that come with it was fun as hell. College is a great time to do all that. I realize now that I was extremely lucky to have that oppurtunity and as I'm about to start medical school, it's an oppurtunity I'm not likely to have again.

If you love to play, I say bring at least a guitar. Bring the amp if you can. Like someone said, it'll be collecting dust anyways at home. Having access to your guitars and music will be nice when school gets crazy and you need something to clear your mind.

Anyways, this was my dorm room for the last year. I lived with my bandmates so noise was never a problem :cool:

picture055zl7.jpg

Best of luck with college, man. Have fun!

• Members
the closest thing we got to bands playing at our frats was afroman

Did he get high?!?! :confused:

At frats we pretty much just played covers and three or four originals over the nite. Lots of Foo Fighters, J.E.W.'s "Bleed American" (pre-title change), Incubus, Everclear, Fuel, Sublime, Duncan Sheik, Staind, Nickelback, U2, Pearl Jam, Ben Harper, Ani DiFranco, and *grumbles* "Dave" ("Dave" being Dave {censored}ing Matthews).

I had fun doijg it, and beer and cash is never bad at college (well, anytime, really!) but the open mic, solo acoustic thing was more meanignful for me, and that's my main project ever since.

Archived