How much of your music collection is pirated?

danbronson

• Members

Well, I have 200 vinyl albums and 30 or so CD's. In the past 8 years I bought 1 GWAR cd and d/l about 100 cd's. It's too bad you can't buy a cd and take it back within a week for a refund if you don't like it. That's why I won't buy any more. If I like it then I see the band live 1 or more times.

• Members

I make use of the "Fair Use" clause in copyright law. I write freelance for a few music rags, so I have a certain window to download music for free for use in a review.

Honestly, all I ever do is download artists I've never heard of, listen to it for a few weeks, then either I like it and buy it, or I don't like it and I delete it. So other than a few singles and a rotating "new stuff" folder, it's all purchased, and should be all legal.

• Members

A CD Is $30 here. Artist gets what.. 0.5$? What a scam. I only buy records (yes vinyl) off the 'Bay since you can't really get records in my town, it's a small one. For the quality you get with a CD it's just not worth it. Better off downloading and burn it on a disc.

If you want to support an artist, click the ads on their webpage :p

FWIW i own roughly 90 pieces of vinyl and have 20 gb or so of mp3s on my computer.

• Members

I have to be really honest here...

I have about 500 original cd's, and about 10-15 burned, those are really hard to find cd's, and I have several cd's with songs that I would never buy the artist cd's, almost only 80's-90's songs, or live "bootleg" songs of artist that I love.

• Members

At least 70% of my collection is pirated. I make a habit of buying the albums of artists that I find to be incredible though. The next logical question would be, "Why would you waste hard drive space on music that you're not wild about?". The answer is that it's generally music that I like sometimes, as opposed to the amazing stuff which I like all the time.

• Members

i pirate everything these days BUT i'm old and i've walked into a music store and dropped $4000 on cd's before...twice.

i've had over $10,000 worth of cd's stolen in my life so i'm done buying. i supprt the bands i dig by buying merch and going to shows.

• Members

I'm curious about how many people pay for their music. No need to reply if you don't want to, we can keep it anonymous (I know some people are hardcore about not pirating).

Personally, I prefer to support a band by seeing their show. So I download a fair amount these days, but still haven't downloaded more than I've bought. Maybe about 30% downloaded.

Pirates took my music. :cry:

• Members

For me it is about 1% -semi- pirated, I have five cd's worth of down loaded misc. songs mostly eighties hair metal, the bitch of it all is, it's not really stolen, as all I was doing was getting digital copies of songs I have on vinyl already....I feel so dirty now :o

• Members
I never thught i'd see that name on this forum!
:lol:

I've learned to play Never Gonna Give You Up on keyboard AND guitar. I should do a YouTube surprise RickRoll... :D

I only buy records when they've dropped to sensible prices, which for me is 10-12

Archived