BBE Sonic maximizers

Highgrade

• Members

I have the 362. It has two ins & outs, one set of controls for both. My friend has the 482 which has two sets of controls for each channel...ideal for a stereo setup. If you're not running stereo, there's really no need for anything more than the 362.

Don't know much about the other models....except they're pretty :cry:

• Members

I have one that collects dust. They sound great with 5150's but other than that don't do so hot with tube amps. They add a certain hi fi quality to the sound i just don't dig. Great for bass rigs and pa's though. As far as the different models for guitar it's not a big difference.

• Members

The differences are the 2 channel vs 1 channel operation, and then the unbalanced vs. balanced ins.

AFAIK, there are no digital ADAT or S/PDIF ins and outs so unless you're doing analog recording, they're useless. If you want them for mastering something use the plugins so you don't have to go through another D/A/D cycle.

They're also useless for guitar amps.

-W

• Members

Wow...the user reviews on HC all say how great they. Why the negativity?

Don't listen to the haters!

Decide for yourself what works and what doesn't!

Ideally, you wouldn't use the BBE...but if you need an amp that needs some tightening up and you don't own an equalizer...then it might be the thing for you.

It does add a HiFI quality to the amp but that's not so bad...I kind of like it.

I use it exclusively with my Mesa DR (whenever I do use that amp - which is really rare) but would NEVER use it with the Splawn QR.

• Members

I bought a 362NR (noise reduction) for my studio rig. I just use it for subtle tweaking of the high and low end, dialing in that last "10%" or so after I've EQ'd things the way I want. The NR portion is just one more little bit of adjustment that sometimes comes in handy and sometimes is worthless. That's the thing with Sonic Maximizers - they are a great addition in some rigs, and absolutely useless in others.

I don't think I'd ever pay full price for one, but I got mine cheap used. The Peavey Rockmaster preamp gets along well with it, but I haven't tried other amps or preamps with it yet.

• Members

never again for me.

I had a 462.

I had a 362. I loved it at first, but then it spent more time tweeking at high volumes to get it to sound good. I finally took it out and I could hear my amp cut through the band mix so much better.

Finally gave up on it, and sold it. I feel better now.

• Members

I had a 482i. Clouded my hearing. Thought it sounded great. Went straight amp one day, and heard what I was missing. DOn't make the same mistake most of us already have!!!! It's a waste of money(unless you are using it in the studio, then it comes in handy sometimes for certain things).

• Members

I had a 482i. Clouded my hearing. Thought it sounded great. Went straight amp one day, and heard what I was missing. DOn't make the same mistake most of us already have!!!! It's a waste of money(unless you are using it in the studio, then it comes in handy sometimes for certain things).

OK...will listen to reason.

• Members

I like them in bass rigs, but not for guitar

I have a 482i that never leaves my bass rack, but when I tried it with my guitar amp I was rather disappointed

I have a bright guitar amp as it is, and the bbe just emphasized it even more

• Members

they aren't meant to be used as a band aid or fix all for an amp that sucks to begin with.
if you already have a good tone it will just beef it up a bit or maybe add a little bit of clarity. if you have a {censored} tone it will emphasise that as well.
i like mine.

• Members

They were originally designed for live DJ situations, and then people started them to enhance live stuff. They work by aligning any phase differences that make occur between high and low frequencies in full-spectrum music, ie, 20-20K, because of the difference in inertia from a tweeter to big 18" Subs. In that setting, they are extremely popular, almost a required item in any Pro DJ rack. However, guitar amps are usually under 6KHz, through a single speaker, or multiple speakers of the same size so the positive effect is negligible. However they now make a stomp box version for about $100. Worth a try to see if you like it, and if you don't your loss when you sell will be small.

Archived