Getting more saturation out of my Randall

nyck

• Members

WOW!

That properly sounded like {censored}e + gash + ass + wank.

I really dont see the apppeal of Randalls.

They can actually be dialed in to sound really warm and smooth sounding, believe it or not.

And i agree, that clip does sound pretty bad.

• Members

Holy balls gain on 10 and boosted & still doesnt have enof gain? What pedal are you using, with what settings on the pedal?

I use a TS-7 set to ts-9 mode ( tubescreamer ) with the level maxed, tone at noon, and drive at 9:00 o'clock combined with my randall's gain at 1:30 o'clock and the treble knob pulled and its got enof gain for any kind of metal.

• Members

Randalls dont really have that much gain, i run my gain at 10 and boost with my metalzone. I also scoop out 1khz competely with my pq3 in the loop, that seems to smooth it out and give it a little more of that saturated sound. Id say your better off with an old crate if your looking for more gain than the randall, and you wont have you use boosts and eq's in the pedal and all that fun stuff.

• Members

+1 on boosting with the Metal Zone. I had the rack version of the RG100ES and used that same setup for awhile. EQ controls on the MZ at noon, level cranked and the gain at zero. Also I would put an EQ in the loop because it will help. Personally I like the MXR 10-band EQ. A 4X12 cab w/ vintage 30's is also the ticket with these amps. Pulling the treble knob gives you more sustain but lowers the volume so i wouldn't worry about it anyway. It ain't gonna matter when you slam the front with the MZ and throw an EQ in the loop. These heads have plenty of gain.....think Crowbar, Superjoint Ritual, Pantera, etc... You can always look for a Furman PQ-3 or 4 for the loop but they are getting harder to find and pricey.

• Members

+1 on boosting with the Metal Zone. I had the rack version of the RG100ES and used that same setup for awhile. EQ controls on the MZ at noon, level cranked and the gain at zero. Also I would put an EQ in the loop because it will help. Personally I like the MXR 10-band EQ. A 4X12 cab w/ vintage 30's is also the ticket with these amps. Pulling the treble knob gives you more sustain but lowers the volume so i wouldn't worry about it anyway. It ain't gonna matter when you slam the front with the MZ and throw an EQ in the loop. These heads have plenty of gain.....think Crowbar, Superjoint Ritual, Pantera, etc... You can always look for a Furman PQ-3 or 4 for the loop but they are getting harder to find and pricey.

i think the old matching randall cabs with jaguars sound best for randalls. theres something in the top end that is really smooth and the low end is pretty huge.

• Members
If you can't get enough saturation from a Randall RG100ES you need stop playin and take up ballet. And it's boosted to boot!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BheB7agxFBE

I was thinking along those same lines, I dont know how much more saturation you could possibly get, it should already have more than one person could or should use. Anymore saturation, and your tone should already be complete and utter garbled mush. :thu:

• Members

i think the old matching randall cabs with jaguars sound best for randalls. theres something in the top end that is really smooth and the low end is pretty huge.

It's been a long time since I played on a cab with Jags....can't even remember what they sound like.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Please don't use clipz on youtube to judge an amp. Anomaly's recordings sound most similar to the amp(thanks a lot, they pretty much decided for me)

• Members

I would say try different boost pedals. SOme of mine are better than others. The SD-1 can be sort of thin and metalic. The Bad Monkey smooths it out quite a bit. I agree the Metal ZOne is great with it. The DOD YJM isnt bad either.

Archived