pogo97

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good observation Pogo:)

I was born in 68, so I am 44.

If I was born in 44, I would be 68.

So it's not a coincidence [unless this rule only applies to you and me. Therefore we need more posters checking theirs, too, hahahaha]

The rule is: both numbers will add up to 112 if the person is born from 1900 to 2012.

• Members

Indeed, I cannot think why the whole bed of the ocean is not one solid mass of oysters, so prolific the creatures seem. Ah, I am wandering! Strange how the brain controls the brain! .... No doubt there are natural enemies which limit the increase of the creatures. You and I, Watson, we have done our part. Shall the world, then, be overrun by oysters? No, no; horrible!

• Members

just played a Steinway from the 1920s 'golden era' at this lady's house. I miss playing the Steinway concert grands at my old university back home such a warm huge sound.

not bass heavy huge like the bosendorfer at lowrey's but steinways have a beautiful tone as they age

they built a million dollar acoustic shell around the main stage I always wanted to capture an impulse of that space

hang on was that too on topic ? :banned:

• Members

The General synopsis at 0600

Low Scotland 1001 expected just north of Fair Isle 995 by 0600 tomorrow.

The area forecasts for the next 24 hours

Viking, North Utsire, South Utsire

Southeasterly 7 to severe gale 9, veering southwesterly 5 to 7. Rough or very rough. Rain or showers. Moderate or good

Forties

Southeasterly 7 to severe gale 9 in far northeast at first, otherwise southwesterly 5 or 6, veering westerly 3 or 4 later. Moderate or rough. Rain or showers. Moderate or good

Cromarty

Cyclonic becoming northwest, 4 or 5. Slight or moderate. Rain or showers. Moderate or good

Forth, Tyne, Dogger

Southwest 4 or 5, veering northwest 3 or 4 later. Slight or moderate. Showers. Moderate or good

Fisher, German Bight

Southeast 6 or 7, occasionally gale 8 at first in Fisher, decreasing 4 or 5, then veering southwest later. Moderate or rough, becoming slight later. Occasional rain. Moderate or good

Humber

South 4 or 5, becoming variable 4. Slight or moderate. Rain or showers. Moderate or good

Thames, Dover, Wight

South 4 or 5. Slight. Rain or showers. Moderate or good, occasionally poor

Portland, Plymouth

Variable 3 or 4, becoming southwest 5 or 6 later. Slight or moderate. Occasional rain. Moderate or good, occasionally poor

Biscay

Southerly 3 or 4, increasing 5 or 6, occasionally 7 in northwest later. Slight or moderate, becoming rough in northwest later. Occasional rain. Moderate or good, occasionally poor

Trafalgar (Issued 2315 UTC Mon 07 May)

Mainly southerly or southwesterly 4 or 5, increasing 6 at times, but variable 3 or 4 in southeast Trafalgar. Slight or moderate. Occasional rain. Moderate or good, occasionally poor

FitzRoy

Southwesterly, but cyclonic in far north, 5 to 7, perhaps gale 8 later. Moderate or rough. Occasional rain. Moderate or good, occasionally poor

Sole

Variable 4 in east at first, otherwise northeasterly 5 to 7. Moderate or rough. Occasional rain. Moderate or good

Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea

Variable 4, becoming northeast 5 or 6 later. Slight or moderate. Rain or showers. Moderate or good

Shannon, Rockall, Malin

North 5 to 7. Moderate or rough. Showers, rain in Shannon later. Moderate or good

Hebrides, Bailey

Northeast 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 in Hebrides, decreasing 4 later. Moderate or rough. Rain or showers. Moderate or good

Fair Isle

Northeasterly 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 in east at first, backing northwesterly later. Moderate or rough. Rain or showers. Moderate or good

Faeroes, South-east Iceland

Northeasterly 5 to 7, perhaps gale 8 later in east Faeroes. Moderate or rough. Rain or wintry showers. Moderate or good

• Members

Some people take the Star Trek concept of "matter energy transport" for granted, without considering the difficult philosophical implications about Identity (let alone any physical implausibility).

Exactly how these philosophical problems manifest depends on precisely how the device is supposed to work, but for any given theory, we run into trouble.

For example, take the notion that the person being "beamed up" is scanned at the atomic level by the transporter, and reproduced on the starship by way of the transporter assembling atomic material using its scan as a blueprint (this is one of the theories hazily put forth in an episode or two). The scan, in this case, is resolved so finely that every physical detail of the person is preserved, right down to the memories stored in the physical configuration of their synapses, or whatever it is which stores memory and everything else besides in our brains.

But this is where we find some trickiness, philosophy-wise. Does this transportation process actually mean that the person on the planet is effectively killed? Even if they are reproduced with such accuracy on the starship that the new ("beamed up") individual (let's refer to that person as B) believes him/herself to be one in the same as the previously planet-bound individual (person A), how can this alone prevent us from imagining that person A was in fact obliterated?

Consider the issue by using a thought experiment: Imagine that the device malfunctioned (as it has been known to do during the series) and produced person B without "transporting" (i.e. destroying) person A. Both persons might eventually be brought into the same room.

Now, would person A, upon realising the trouble, simply volunteer to then be "removed" by the transporter, in order to clear up the confusion? I would suggest not. Person A standing in the same room as person B would quickly come to the realisation that person B is separate, and though almost entirely similar, very much not the same person as A. This, A would surely understand, is because of things like B occupying a different spacial location to A, and being able to carry on different conversations and indeed think different thoughts, etc., etc.

But in that case, why would any of the crew ever want to be transported? Just because person B believes they are a continuation of person A, doesn't mean that person A can rightfully look forward to being person B - our thought experiment where they are both present in the same room at the same time seems to suggest person A has no reason to look forward to being person B, indeed he/she may only look forward to being exterminated by the "transportation" process.

But what if, instead, the atoms themselves are transported - thus in this case we might imagine that there is no "recreation" ship-side, but a reassembly of the very atoms that constituted person A on the planet. This seems at first to be less prone to philosophical trouble (if not physical or physiological). But as it turns out this has a share of philosophical trouble too. Insisting on those same atoms for reassembly seems like an arbitrary decision employed only to avoid the previous difficulty we just discussed, and as such has a fallacious ring to it. After all, we know from science that our physiology involves the frequent creation and death of the cells which comprise us, so insisting that a person's identity depends on not only an arrangement of atoms, but also those particular atoms, seems contrived.

As the star trek transport doesn't really exist, it may seem like a moot topic of discussion, and yet it provides a good introduction issues about Identity, which is a topic that has a long history in philosophy.

Archived