Another Pawn Shop SCORE!!! (Peavey VTM 60 head)

TU BE

• Members

So, I went and got the Peavey VTM 60 today. It was cutting in and out when I tried it out. I discovered that it was just a dirty Post Gain pot. I turned it vigorously back and forth and now, it works fine.

Anyhow, the dude at the shop told me that he had sold it once before and the buyer brought it back the next day because of this problem. I didn't let him know I knew what was wrong and talked him down from the sticker price of $189 to $150 out the door.

It's a nice sounding amp but a bit on the BRIGHT side. Takes well to OD pedals too. Anyone that owns this amp that knows some good settings, share them with me.

Not sure if I'll be keeping it, but for $150 it will make a great back up amp for now.

• Members

it takes a little tweaking. Im not sure of good settings, but one of my good friends from home has the 60 and 120.

From what I remember, try keeping the actual low down and use the other low(switch) to bring it up. I usually kept both of the gain ones up and i think the high mid.

• Members

it takes a little tweaking. Im not sure of good settings, but one of my good friends from home has the 60 and 120.

From what I remember, try keeping the actual low down and use the other low(switch) to bring it up. I usually kept both of the gain ones up and i think the high mid.

Keep the low knob low? Dude, this thing is like an icepick when I do that. Right now, I have it set like this:

Pre gain 9

Post gain 3

Low 8

Mid 2

high 5.5

Presence 3

Only the gain switches set to on on the response mods. Boosting it with the bad monkey as well.

• Members

There's one of these at a pawn shop here for around $200. I was thinking of snagging it if the price goes down again.

So....what does it sound like so far?

I actually like it now that I've played around with the settings a bit more. It definitely has that JCM800 vibe. If it's been there a while, I'd say to talk them down some. Not because it's not worth $200 but who doesn't like saving money. :D

• Members

What pawn shops are you going to? Every one I go 2 has utter garbage at obscene prices. My one pawn shop score in SA though was when I got almost mint Peavey 5150 combo for $375 out the door. I bought a footswitch then sold it on ebay for $745 shipped.

• Members

What pawn shops are you going to? Every one I go 2 has utter garbage at obscene prices. My one pawn shop score in SA though was when I got almost mint Peavey 5150 combo for $375 out the door. I bought a footswitch then sold it on ebay for $745 shipped.

I frequent a bunch of them in the area I live in. There's a bunch on Perrin Beitel, Austin Hwy area. The VTM was at one on Walzem.

• Members

Take what I said about the low and reverse it. haha.

I dont know much, im just trying to recollect when I messed around with one for a while

That's cool man. I've actually talked to someone on here who can mod it to not be so shrill. It is a pretty mean sounding, tight amp though.

• Members

Hey TU BE, I think you'll dig these settings:

Pre 6

post wherever

low 7

mid 4

high 4

pres 3

dip switches - both gains up, comp up,

Boost that bitch like you do to the rhythm channel on the 5150. I run these settings with an Ibanez 7 band eq in front, with basically a reverse smiley face, level a touch over 0. Tubes matter with this head, I like the JJ 6l6's, but didn't like the pre amp tubes. I put an EH in V1 and it smoothed things out. Let me know how it sounds. You won't get the deep low resonance with this amp, so don't be tempted to push the low too much or she'll get muddy. Use the boost to tighten it up, and keep the highs down. :thu:

• Members

Hey TU BE, I think you'll dig these settings:

Pre 6

post wherever

low 7

mid 4

high 4

pres 3

dip switches - both gains up, comp up,

Boost that bitch like you do to the rhythm channel on the 5150. I run these settings with an Ibanez 7 band eq in front, with basically a reverse smiley face, level a touch over 0. Tubes matter with this head, I like the JJ 6l6's, but didn't like the pre amp tubes. I put an EH in V1 and it smoothed things out. Let me know how it sounds. You won't get the deep low resonance with this amp, so don't be tempted to push the low too much or she'll get muddy. Use the boost to tighten it up, and keep the highs down.
:thu:

The comp switch brings the volume down significantly. Is that supposed to happen?

Archived