Another Pawn Shop SCORE!!! (Peavey VTM 60 head)

TU BE

• Members

Yup, I had one and the compressor definitely did that. I bought one for $100, but then turned around and sold it for the same amount. What an ass I am. If not for the fact that I need an actual clean channel, I would still be using it.

I called it the Death Star, because I'm pretty sure it destroyed that sissy planet Alderaan long long ago.

• Members

Spray the FX loops jacks also....

Sounds cool. I always thought about picking one of those up. I guess I tend to think when its all boosted and metaled out, it would end up sounding similar to the 5150....

Not at all. Two different animals altogehter.

• Members

Not at all. Two different animals altogehter.

I guess I figured it would have more of that Peavey thing going on, then the JCM800 thing they are suppose to emulate.

I know the Windsor is like this. Yeah, its kinda 800ish, but overall, it still sounds like a Peavey.

• Members

I guess I figured it would have more of that Peavey thing going on, then the JCM800 thing they are suppose to emulate.

I know the Windsor is like this. Yeah, its kinda 800ish, but overall, it still sounds like a Peavey.

Imagine a JCM800 with a bit of a Peavey vibe. That's what it sounds like. It's not nearly as "thick" sounding as a 5150, but it sounds good. It will cut like a knife in a band situation, I'm sure.

• Members

Most of the pawn shops I would go to would sell over priced garbage. But its been a long time since ive been to one.

The compression switch does bring down the volume. But honestly imo the amp sounds much better with the comp switch up. I run my vtm120 without a boost btw.

Yes, it does have more than enough gain for some stuff, but for most the stuff I play, I need to push it a bit further. It has some nice ass crunch to it, that's for sure.

• Members

Ive kept the comp switch off. I dont recall all my dip switch settings, but i just 12:00 my tone dials, mess with the switches, try it a bit, until i get what i want. Its not the be all end all, but its a damn cool amp!

Yeah, it's supposed to be a JCM800 with all the mods people were getting done to them at the flip of switch. So that in itself is pretty damn cool.

• Members
If you don't stay away from these pawn shops, you'll end up with more Peavey's then you'll have room for.
:)

Tubes:

Ranger

Prowler

Triumph PAG 60

Bravo

Ultra (+)

SS:

Revolution head

Supreme 160 head

And so on....

LOL!!! I like Peavey amps. Great bang for the buck. :thu:

• Members

If spraying contact cleaner doesn't solve you issue, and you then try the direct cable from the effects send, to effects return, and still have an issue, see if you notice that the power tubes are also fading on and off.....

Here's an FYI from Jerry, posted over @ the PV forums:

Subject: VTM 120 Help! volume drops

If the power tubes are glowing when it works and then they stop glowing when the volume fades out I'd suspect a burnt ribbon cable connecting the power amp circuit board to the main cirucit board.

Bad tubes or dirty effects loop jacks are common causes for cutting out or volume fading, but the tubes not glowing indicates they might be losing their heater supply voltage. I've repaired a few burnt ribbon cables on the VTM amps. I miss my VTM, great amps!

Jerry

Archived