OT: BEST years for Gibson Les Pauls???

mightyjoeyoungxnj

• Members

I would never pretend to be an expert but of the 14? Gibson Les Pauls I have owned over the years, the ones that I have kept and played the most are a 92 Custom, two 96 Studios and a 94 Standard. Don't know if that is a coincidence or a testament to what Gibson was doing in the mid 90s so take it or leave it. I do know if I were to be in the market for a used Gibson I would not be afraid to get one from any of those years.

• Members

I would never pretend to be an expert but of the 14? Gibson Les Pauls I have owned over the years, the ones that I have kept and played the most are a 92 Custom, two 96 Studios and a 94 Standard. Don't know if that is a coincidence or a testament to what Gibson was doing in the mid 90s so take it or leave it. I do know if I were to be in the market for a used Gibson I would not be afraid to get one from any of those years.

'

That's 3 votes for 92..I'm getting happier every minute with my 92!

• Members

Dont you know the Best Gibsons were the ones produced in Kalamazoo. They still make them there but under the name Heritage and for less $$$.

Just sayin.

every once in a while I run across someone like you who has that same opinion. i've heard all the pros, but never really heard anybody bash heritage. it just seems to me though that if they were really that good, more people would talk about them. i'm not saying that as evidence against your claim, rather, it just makes me wonder about them. Though I've never played one, i've always been interested in their guitars as a whole. I wish I had the money to really buy a good one. seems like they're really hard to find new. and actually, to be absolutely honest, one of the main reasons i never pursued interest in them is because of the headstock. i just find it unappealing. when i was shopping for another guitar, i ended up getting a ravelle b/c it was just soooo sexy.

• Members

I've owned dozens of vintage Gibson electric guitars, acoustic guitars, mandolins, banjos, and lapsteels over the last thirty years or so, and one thing that's obvious is that Gibson's QC has always been inconsistent. Always. The Norlin years were the worst, but there are still good examples from that era too. I'd say that, if anything, Gibson's QC is better now than in the past, at least with its acoustic guitars and the Heritage series. Out of any ten Gibsons, three are dogs, three are Ok-to-good, three are outstanding, and the tenth one is a wildcard. But the outstanding Gibsons are unbeatable. Their new amps are excellent, although expensive.

• Members

I've owned dozens of vintage Gibson electric guitars, acoustic guitars, mandolins, banjos, and lapsteels over the last thirty years or so, and one thing that's obvious is that Gibson's QC has always been inconsistent.
Always
. The Norlin years were the worst, but there are still good examples from that era too. I'd say that, if anything, Gibson's QC is better now than in the past, at least with its acoustic guitars and the Heritage series. Out of any ten Gibsons, three are dogs, three are Ok-to-good, three are outstanding, and the tenth one is a wildcard. But the outstanding Gibsons are unbeatable. Their new amps are excellent, although expensive.

Very well said. I have an SG Classic that I bought a couple of years ago that I've played next to '60's era SG Specials, and it sounds as good if not better. I'll take the time and find a great Gibson before I'll buy something that's guaranteed to be "pretty good" but will never be "great."

• Members

If you go with a mid 70s Custom, you'll most probably get one with a maple neck. Not that its a bad thing - I loved mine ('76), modded her in a Sykes-way and it was my main axe for several years. Stayed in tune perfectly - I had to replace most of the hardware though (bridge, tailpiece, frets, nut, tuners).
Did the same with a '78 ProDeluxe (also maple neck). Awesome guitars for the money and with more bite than the average custom (maple neck + ebony fretboard, you know . . .).

Heritages are fine, no doubt. Had a Gary Moore model (vintage faded honey sunburst, with Duncans), which I had between 1992 (the Gibsons I tried around that time were crap) and 2000 as my main axe. The only problem was the neck, which after those years with 10s was like a bow, so I sold her . . .

Heritage:
heritage.jpg

ProDeluxe (modded)
pro2.jpg

'76 Custom
customsykes.jpg

So I'm LP-less since a while now (playing Schecters), but I'm heavily gassing for another one, which definitely has to be less than 4kg or 8pounds, cause my back is broken . . . I guess it will be an Edwards then . . .

• Members

Hey people,

A few of my guitars:

Pic029.jpg
My '96 Les Paul Custom w/EMG 85 pickups.

Pic058.jpg
My '95 Hamer Studio w/ Dimarzio PAF Pro & Air Zone pickups.

Personally, I could really care less about what years of Les Pauls are best. I would prefer to go to a guitar shop and play each guitar unplugged & plugged in to my own amp. I don't care much for the '70s Norlin era Gibson Les Pauls since I don't like the way they're designed or built. My '96 Les Paul Custom plays really well, has a straight, undamaged neck, good fret work and sounds good to me. I didn't care for the stock Gibson pickups though. My Hamer Studio sounds great, plays really well and has very good build design & materials. I did change out the pickups & electronics since that guitar has changed hands over the years. For the money, Hamer & Heritage guitars offer a lot of bang for the buck for American made guitars.

Guitar George

• Members

I've owned dozens of vintage Gibson electric guitars, acoustic guitars, mandolins, banjos, and lapsteels over the last thirty years or so, and one thing that's obvious is that Gibson's QC has always been inconsistent.
Always
. The Norlin years were the worst, but there are still good examples from that era too. I'd say that, if anything, Gibson's QC is better now than in the past, at least with its acoustic guitars and the Heritage series. Out of any ten Gibsons, three are dogs, three are Ok-to-good, three are outstanding, and the tenth one is a wildcard. But the outstanding Gibsons are unbeatable. Their new amps are excellent, although expensive.

you speak the truth, i had to cherry pick through a bunch of LP studios when i bought mine in 2004. the one i ended up with is just unbelieveable in sound and playability, where a lot of other ones in the store sounded like dog {censored}.

as for customs go, i think the late 70's models are the way to go and they havnt gone up in cost so much like the 50s and 60s ones have. Les Pauls are the only guitars that feel right for me, so I'm deffinatly going to own a Custom at some point in my life and when I do Im going to buy an old one. Gibson has been doing alot to cut costs in recent years but you can still find good ones in stores if you look hard enough, so if im gonna spend the money I want a real nice one from the 70s.

• Members
If you go with a mid 70s Custom, you'll most probably get one with a maple neck. Not that its a bad thing - I loved mine ('76), modded her in a Sykes-way and it was my main axe for several years. Stayed in tune perfectly - I had to replace most of the hardware though (bridge, tailpiece, frets, nut, tuners).

'76 Custom

customsykes.jpg

I'm loving the Sykes appreciation there sir!!!

• Members

I was told once that those Pauls from the '75-'81 era were the {censored}. I played a '77 once, it was nice at bedroom volumes but it was squealing like a gutted pig at stage volume. Too bad, that Paul was a mofo.

i fall into this camp. the three best Pauls i've ever laid hands on were two '78s and an '81.

Archived