Peavey Windsor

weehaw

• Members

I just scored a used Peavey Windsor. I can't wait to try it out. I played a new one in the store and really liked it. I know some people have hated them but I have really been gassing for a EL-34 based single channel amp and didn't want to spend a lot and this seems to fit the bill. I have a NOS Mullard 12at7 laying around somewhere I might try in it. I have got a Lopoline Signature series 2x12 on the way as well as a couple of Vintage 30 clones from Warehouse guitar speakers. I can't wait to get this rig all together.

Anybody tried pedals through the Windsor? Should there be a Bad Monkey in my future?

• Members

I tried out a moddes sd-1 in front of it and I thought it smoked. The only thing about that amp and a lower gain preamp tube might do the trick but when you roll the volume control back it doesn't clean up at all which is weird since there isn't much gain there. Those things soudn way better than they should for that price.

• Members

I think the Bad Monkey is a necessity.
:)

Cool! I currently have the cheapest pedal board ever. I have an Arion Tubulator and a Danelectro Fab Distortion along with a Fish & Chips eq and an Arion SAD-3 analog delay. I also have a Yamaha Magicstomp I may through in the effects loop.

• Members

a bad monkey can do sooooooo much for you. that will be a nice budget rig once it gets put together.

Those Lopoline cabs are crazy cheap right now. I splurged for the Signature series which looks more like an Orange style cab.

• Members

I tried out a moddes sd-1 in front of it and I thought it smoked. The only thing about that amp and a lower gain preamp tube might do the trick but when you roll the volume control back it doesn't clean up at all which is weird since there isn't much gain there. Those things soudn way better than they should for that price.

Yeah, I am hoping the amp responds well to the NOS 12at7. I am not looking for anything brutal, I can get that with my Chameleon but I just haven't been happy with the mid gain tones so I am excited about trying to get that with this rig.

• Members

put the gain at 1 o'clock, bass on like 4 o'clock, mids on 1 o'clock, treble at 11 o'clock master to taste presence at 10-11 o'clock, resonance at noon to 1 o'clock. Have the boost engaged.

put it through a decent marshall or whatever cabinet.

Put the bad monkey's level on 10, the bass and treble controls both at 5. The gain from 0-3 depending on preference. Get a boss ns-2 and run the bad monkey in the loop of the ns-2 with the ns-2 in front of the amp.

= mastodon style metal with a decent output humbucker.

I used to have one, these are the settings I used through a good cabinet with v30's and I got amazing chunk and crunch out of it all day long. Sometimes on the amp I'd lower the gain to like noon.

• Members

put the gain at 1 o'clock, bass on like 4 o'clock, mids on 1 o'clock, treble at 11 o'clock master to taste presence at 10-11 o'clock, resonance at noon to 1 o'clock. Have the boost engaged.

put it through a decent marshall or whatever cabinet.

Put the bad monkey's level on 10, the bass and treble controls both at 5. The gain from 0-3 depending on preference. Get a boss ns-2 and run the bad monkey in the loop of the ns-2 with the ns-2 in front of the amp.

= mastodon style metal with a decent output humbucker.

I used to have one, these are the settings I used through a good cabinet with v30's and I got amazing chunk and crunch out of it all day long. Sometimes on the amp I'd lower the gain to like noon.

Thanks mang!! I love that Mastadon tone.

• Members

great amp, love mine, boost it with a maxon OD808, easily breathes fire.

I see you got a cab with Vintage 30's. How does the Windsor sound through those. I just got 2 Vintage 30 clones from Warehouse guitar speakers and I have Lopo 2x12 showing up later this week.

• Members

I'm also thinking of getting one but the only way to get it is through special orders from the local guitar shop. They don't stock them. Therefore I've no way to try it out before buying. I would just like to know how does a boosted windsor sound? Is the tone comparable to any other bands other than mastodon?

• Members

Haven't played a bad one yet! Bear in mind that the store ususally pairs it with the Windsor speakers. Ask to plug in to a regular Marshall 412 and then let it rip!
:cool:

This is very important.

The Windsor cab is the absolute worst cab I know of in existence. You literally can't even tell what the amp is actually like at all. It manages to be both muffled and fizzy, even though the amp really isn't inherently either.

• Members

It's an odd amp. As you noted, it does sound very good for how much it costs, and ALMOST regardless of what it costs. There are many similar, but much, much more expensive amps that I prefer it to.

The problem is that it literally CAN'T do cleans. I don't know wtf you have to do wrong for that to happen, but Peavey found a way.

One time, I plugged a Strat into one with the preamp as low as it would go to produce sound, and the master nearly all the way up to compensate. It still broke up on chords.

This is very important.

The Windsor cab is the absolute worst cab I know of in existence. You literally can't even tell what the amp is actually like at all. It manages to be both muffled and fizzy, even though the amp really isn't inherently either.

So do you think WGS Vintage 30 clones will be a good match? I am okay with not being real clean. I got it for the raw, gritty tones anyway.

• Members

I have WGS V30 clones in one of my 2x12s, sounds pretty amazing. It's a great combo, windsor + v30s. Very JCM800

Awesome!! That's kind of what I'm going for with this rig. I just can't get that sound with my Rocktron Chameleon rig.

• Members

So I got everything in and it made it through UPS in good shape. Lopoline didn't give me enough wire to wire the speakers though and the bolts to hold the speakers in were really a little too short and I stripped a couple of them trying to get the speakers in last night so I made a trip to the hardware store and picked up a couple of bolts that were 1/4 inch longer and they fit perfect. I got the speakers wired in and fired everything up and I must say, I am really digging this amp. I have been boosting it with a little Danelectro FAB Distortion and that really sends it over the top especially at lower volumes. I might try to get some clips done next week at band practice. Everybody that says it doesn't do clean is right, partly, I like a touch of grit on my cleans and with the master volume way up, and just touch of preamp gain I think it gets a great, slightly gritty clean but you certainly wouldn't want to play jazz with it. Anyway, pic below, I think it looks great with the Lopline 2x12.

Newamp003.jpg

Archived