How far do you play away from your amp?

gargamelesp

• Members

Just wondering whats the average distance you guys sit from your amp while practicing.

im using a 2x12 cab and i sit really close; i can reach the controls of the head by just stretching out my arm.

however, when i move my chair say 2-3 feet away, the tone changes immensely! i feel that the bass is reduced and the more treble and midrange is heard --making the sound more aggressive

in fact, i prefer the sound of my amp when im sitting further away! :eek:

• Members
Just wondering whats the average distance you guys sit from your amp while practicing.

im using a 2x12 cab and i sit really close; i can reach the controls of the head by just stretching out my arm.

however, when i move my chair say 2-3 feet away, the tone changes immensely! i feel that the bass is reduced and the more treble and midrange is heard --making the sound more aggressive

in fact, i prefer the sound of my amp when im sitting further away!
:eek:

I never play sitting down unless it is my acoustic or I am learning a song from my computer songs. For gigging I try and stay as constant as possible in my distance. Usually in the 8-10' range I would guess, with the ability to get closer and turn to my amp when I want some octave sustain/feedback. I run in stereo so my other cab is on the other side of the drummer maybe 15' away.

• Members

I read somewheer once that Lynch said that there was an optimum distance of where to be from the speaker cab to get the "true" sound of what was happening. I think it was like 10ft or so. But there is that place where the sound projects and fills to a distance that everything sounds better.

Hope that helps.

• Members

I have to be right in front of mine. :cry:

I wish I could have a really huge, nice sounding room and be way on the opposite side and just fill the whole place up with teh unbrewta1z. :love:

I read somewheer once that Lynch said that there was an optimum distance of where to be from the speaker cab to get the "true" sound of what was happening. I think it was like 10ft or so. But there is that place where the sound projects and fills to a distance that everything sounds better.

Hope that helps.

I'd say it's a heck of a lot more than 10 feet. Sound waves take distance to fully develop. The lower the frequency, the bigger the wave, and the more distance it takes. The low E on a guitar goes down to 82 Hz, which I believe takes about 30 feet. I'm pretty sure it's over 100 feet for a bass. :eek:

I think this is also why the average band I see sounds like {censored}. If you are standing right next to your cab, and it is producing so much bass that it's actually THUMPING from a few feet away, in the average acoustic nightmare of a venue, you've got a problem on your hands if you give a {censored} about what the audience, i.e., the people you are supposed to be sounding good for, are hearing.

• Members
I have to be right in front of mine.
:cry:

I wish I could have a really huge, nice sounding room and be way on the opposite side and just fill the whole place up with teh unbrewta1z.
:love:

I'd say it's a heck of a lot more than 10 feet. Sound waves take distance to fully develop. The lower the frequency, the bigger the wave, and the more distance it takes. The low E on a guitar goes down to 82 Hz, which I believe takes about 30 feet. I'm pretty sure it's over 100 feet for a bass.

I think this is also why the average band I see sounds like {censored}. If you are standing right next to your cab, and it is producing so much bass that it's actually THUMPING from a few feet away, in the average acoustic nightmare of a venue, you've got a problem on your hands if you give a {censored} about what the audience, i.e., the people you are supposed to be sounding good for, are hearing.

82 hz isn't nearly that long.

• Members

How long is it EXACTLY? I know I used to know it, but now I can't figure it out. I tried to look it up before, but I still can't find it now, after looking some more. :mad:

I think 40 Hz might actually be about 30 feet (apparently I mixed it up, because that'd be a bass), and I am pretty damn sure that 20 Hz is about 60 feet. So would 80 Hz be about 15, then, or is there something I'm missing, oh physics wiztards of teh intarwebz?

• Members

How far away I stand usually depends on the size of the stage. With enough room, between 15'-20'. In some places, I have as little as 2-3'.

I will always soundcheck standing at least 15' away, though, and moving away from it to a distance of at least 30', before any audience shows up. It's one of those cases where a wireless system is the most valuable thing you can have.

You can't hear anything close to the real sound that your cabinets are projecting from anything closer than about 10'. Anything inside that, and you are flying blind.

• Members

Feedback is a problem if you are too close, man.

You should not stand positioned in front of your amp anyway (especially if one is playing thru a 4x12) because the sonic pressure and percussion will damage your cochlea (little bones in your ears)

DOn't believe me? Ask your local E,N & T doctor.

• Members

in fact, i prefer the sound of my amp when im sitting further away!

Yeah its called proximity effect n00b.

• Members
How long is it EXACTLY? I know I used to know it, but now I can't figure it out. I tried to look it up before, but I still can't find it now, after looking some more.
:mad:

I think 40 Hz might actually be about 30 feet (apparently I mixed it up, because that'd be a bass), and I am pretty damn sure that 20 Hz is about 60 feet. So would 80 Hz be about 15, then, or is there something I'm missing, oh physics wiztards of teh intarwebz?

Ya, its been a while. I knew it back when I was building some folded horn subs. A typical popular 1/4 folded horn is about 9' long, which would be 36'. And that was for a 40-45hz loading, if I recall correctly. So ya, my initiall thought was the low E on a bass as being in the 30-35' range, but I'm not positive.

• Members
How far away I stand usually depends on the size of the stage. With enough room, between 15'-20'. In some places, I have as little as 2-3'.

I will always soundcheck standing at least 15' away, though, and moving away from it to a distance of at least 30', before any audience shows up. It's one of those cases where a wireless system is the most valuable thing you can have.

You can't hear anything close to the real sound that your cabinets are projecting from anything closer than about 10'. Anything inside that, and you are flying blind.

I hope that when I soundcheck at 20-30' that I am not really hearing my cabs at all.

• Members
Feedback is a problem if you are too close, man.

You should not stand positioned in front of your amp anyway (especially if one is playing thru a 4x12) because the sonic pressure and percussion will damage your cochlea (little bones in your ears)

DOn't believe me? Ask your local E,N & T doctor.

:confused::confused: that's pretty silly. I stand in front of mine every gig. My 4x12's are up in the air about 1 1/2' so that I can hear my true sound. I don't play louder than what is needed for a nice stage mix.

• Members

Usually 10 or 12 feet in front of it or sometimes like 8 feet if i'm standing off to the side- this is with the 6505+ usually somewhere around 2 on the post, sometimes 3. I need to start using my good earplugs though, the room I play in is sonic hell: tile floors, a brick wall behind the woodstove, the whole room is just filled with hard surfaces.

Archived