Behold... The Arctopus. Anybody listen to these guys?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I just downloaded two demos by them, and they are pretty {censored}ing awesome.

It's pretty weird... all instrumental and changes up a lot... some parts similar to math rock stuff with lots of odd time signatures and tapping... then there's lots of really heavy parts that get into tech/grind stuff like dillinger escape plan/psyopus/etc... then there's some spacey, ambient parts that remind me more of post rock bands.

Eitherway, they are {censored}ing nuts and seem like they would be awesome live.

Apparently they are coming out with a full length album soon... :love:

• Members

Yes, I like their stuff a lot. Seen them live twice and they kicked major ass both times. They also happen to friends of mine (or acquaintances really; they're good friends with the bassist in my band and I've hung out with them a few times). Cool guys, and amazing musicians.

• Members

sounds like a bunch of people playing different songs to be honest. i can usually appreciate this stuff, but theyre just doing it for the sake of doing it. at least the tracks from the full length ive heard are like that. the demos are GREAT. they need mike patton to do vocals for em, then theyd be real good

• Members
...ok.
:freak:

And, I don't know about the rest of what you said, but I know this 3 song demo is awesome....

behold... the arctopus - nano-nucleonic cyborg summoning e.p

^ download that. it's incredible.

well i did say that i love the demos and thats one of them. i just dont like what im hearing from the full length so far. who knows, maybe its one of those albums that you have to hear in its entirety to grasp whats really going on. we'll see

• Members
...ok.
:freak:

And, I don't know about the rest of what you said, but I know this 3 song demo is awesome....

behold... the arctopus - nano-nucleonic cyborg summoning e.p

^ download that. it's incredible.

It's a rule: Any crazy band can be made better by the addition of more Patton, "Irony is a Dead Scene" EP is proof positive of this.

• Members
i think you and me are gonna get along alright
:D

Another great Patton'd peice of music is "Millennium Monsterworks" by the Fantomas/Melvins Big Band. I think my thoughts on Mike in general are summed up by this piece of correspondence:

"ButteredTM: Patton is a win, i guess he's the new sinatra
HerrKommissar: A Sinatra for the new drug-addled generation
ButteredTM: yeah, singing Italian operas or some {censored}
HerrKommissar: He would totally own those operas
HerrKommissar: I wanna see him shatter people's monocles with some scat screams
ButteredTM: it's as if everything he does is {censored}ing great."

• Members

Talented for sure!! But I can listen for 10 seconds and know what to expect from their whole album.

what band can you not say this about?

I can look at your rig and know what you're going to play.... in 10 years.

Give it up, these guys are rad.. played a show w/ them before I knew who they were and they scared me. I love that when it comes to really difficult music people always say it sounds the same, that's because your brain is not fast enough to process all the changes that are coming at you, so many people have gotten used to pop/rock songs w/ like 3 changes and 8 chords for the whole song that they think that's creative. Bands like these do your favorite bands entire albums in less than than 3 minutes.

Oh yeah Patton is overrated, he's for all the guys who want to impress their friends w/ weird music. Avant singing is truly boring... and that album he did w/ dillinger is the worst dillinger stuff leading up to that, they've since only manage to suck more but i believe that was the beginning of the end, and this from a guy that patton was interested in putting out.

Archived